Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
I got one route to load onto my 7720, but now the dock just crashes when I try to load another one. I'm getting tired to putting up with docks crashing and having to load extra software,(Xquartz) to use this GPS. I my revert to using my iPhone As a GPS. Smaller screen, but at least it works!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Ok after much ado, I finally got another route loaded. When I pressed the Upload button on the dock it would crash. (MAC version) After a few times of that I pressed the right arrow to go to the second, (horizontal) screen and tried the Good Sam upload. It went to the pass-phrase entry line, but since I didn't have a Good Sam file, I closed it. I then went back to the Upload button and pressed it. It gave me the pass-phrase entry, but I couldn't type anything in it. I forced quit and tried the same thing again and this time I was able to enter the pass-phrase and upload it to my 7720. Gee that only took 3 hours. Now I I'll have to see how it works on the actual trip. (June, so stay tuned ha ha)

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Our Rand McNally has not worked from day one. RV One updated the card at Delivery but once we got on the road it would not even boot up.

We were in Entegra service last week at Middlebury. CS told me the old files in the card needed delated before updating. So they did that, works fine it you are not moving but once on the road it's about a mile behind where you are actually at. Guess I'm driving to fast for it.

The service manager told me they have not been trained on the new Nev System, that should be interesting.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #31

A $110 Garmin Nuvi is your routing friend....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #32

The Navigation system is crap

It's sad that Entegra has put such a mediocre and non reliable navigation system into these beautiful coaches even after all of the customer service complaints that it has received year after year. I'm with Gary.Jones about using the Garmin Nuvi. I've got the $80 unit sticking on my driver side toll window. I can enter my route information into the Rand McNally and while it is calculating a route for me which might take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, I will enter the same information into the Garmin and it will calculate the route instantly. Very frustrating and pathetic. I just received a new card from Riverside and will check it out this weekend to see if it makes any difference. The excuse that Entegra CS and Riverside make is that the unit runs so slow and does not update quicker because you need to pull the card for updating every time you decide you need to make a move in the coach. That's ridiculous..... my Garmin hasn't been updated since I bought it and it's calculation time and updating where I am on the road is instantaneous. Oh well, hope Entergra makes a change on this one day.
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Don, your post has me puzzled. I recently purchased a new RM card for my 2013 Anthem which came with a proprietary Xite GPS card. I purchased the RM card because I have an RM 7720 GPS which I am happy with, but I wanted to clean up my cockpit and get rid of the extra device. To my surprise, the new RM card operates twice as fast in my dash GPS as my freestanding RM 7720 does. It seems to operate the same way as the 7720 which I have found to be reliable and very useful if not always 100% intuitive. I am looking forward to hearing how you do with your new card,. If it is anything like mine, I suspect your problems will be over.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
No complaints here at all with the in dash GPS, works great and calculates a route very quickly. Worked great before and after the new 8 gb card was installed.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
If you install a SIM card in the Rand 7720, for instance what can you do differently? What does it buy you?

FMCA #341229
Old 04-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
It is not a SIM card, it is an SD card, and it contains all the GPS operating software and map data that the hardware needs for its navigation function. Think of it as the program that you load into your computer for a specific application.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a RM dash, Garmin Nuvi and Garmin Zumo. Run them all. Routing on each is slightly different occasionally depending upon where you are going. I generally follow the RM but Janet with the paper map has the most influence.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
No complaints here at all with the in dash GPS, works great and calculates a route very quickly. Worked great before and after the new 8 gb card was installed.
X2 the new 8GB card made mine everything I had hoped for. Maybe it's a "classic" thing.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It is not a SIM card, it is an SD card, and it contains all the GPS operating software and map data that the hardware needs for its navigation function. Think of it as the program that you load into your computer for a specific application.

Duh, I knew that. SD Card. My unit does not have an SD card. There is a slot for one, but nothing is in it that I can tell. I thought the GPS had all it's software loaded internally.

FMCA #341229
Old 04-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Duh, I knew that. SD Card. My unit does not have an SD card. There is a slot for one, but nothing is in it that I can tell. I thought the GPS had all it's software loaded internally.

I don't know which model you have, but SD cards slots can be for different things. On our in dash Rand McNally units they contain the complete operating system, no card or outdated card...no work. Probably has to do with unit size and all the other functions, radios, USB players, etc. On my Garmin the SD slot is for added map features, Canada, Mexico, etc. Or adding POI's I have over 22,000 POI's loaded on mine. I can even add guided tours on the SD card for areas like Yellowstone, Civil War battlefields, etc.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
The upgrade definitely changed my opinion of the RM. It's a very good system when updated. River Park informed me there were some early 2016's that missed getting the updates and I was sent a new card.

Now the only thing I can find to complain about is the RM doesn't update the mile marker number until I'm about 100 yards past the sign. But, maybe the road builders need to upgrade their systems.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
The upgrade definitely changed my opinion of the RM. It's a very good system when updated. River Park informed me there were some early 2016's that missed getting the updates and I was sent a new card.

Now the only thing I can find to complain about is the RM doesn't update the mile marker number until I'm about 100 yards past the sign. But, maybe the road builders need to upgrade their systems.
Ours varies with the mile marker updating. Sometimes before, sometimes near and sometimes after. IMO it is due to the positioning of the satellites and deviations caused by atmospheric haze.

To be really accurate you need to tie into differential correction. In the early days the department I worked for maintained a differential station. Logs were kept. Engineering firms would do their GPS field work and then bring their information in to be "corrected" to get accurate information. Nowdays the differential is small enough that most surveying firms set up their station and the correction is real time. If you notice a tripod sitting at the corner of a field with a device on top with an aerial that is their fixed point.

Interesting one time a survey crew brought in their tracks for correction and everything was running well until about half way through when the track jumped to somewhere in Florida, a huge difference,. I was told that at that moment the Gulf War started and the satellites were scrambled so they were unusable to anyone except the US military and their allies. Neat story.