Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Urgent - door lock mechanism

We’re stuck inside the coach, can’t get the door to unlatch. The handle moves a bit but the latch mechanism won’t release. I’ll be trying other things, but to get at the mechanism itself I need to remove the lock plate. To remove that, the handle has to come off.

I can’t see any set screws or other mechanism to hold the handle on so maybe it is just a press fit? In that case, can I just pry it off?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, tried locking and unlocking, that works but still can’t open the door latch.

The only way out is through the emergency exit and I’d like to avoid that if at all possible.

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most door handles come off with the face plate. Remove the screws from the face plate and remove the face plate. Then you can trigger the latch mech.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #3

My door does that same thing occasionally. If you have a spray lubricant try that otherwise keep working the handle back and forth. Eventually it will release. Once you get it open, apply lubricant to the handle and latch mechanism.

This is what works on my door. YMMV.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve replace a broken door handle from the outside, and am aware that there could be a lot of mechanism involved. What concerns me is removing the plate and having something inside the door come loose preventing me from getting the door back together.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #5

Can you signal a neighbor to try the door from the outside?

Is your door equipped with a Pos-i-Loc mechanism to hold it open ?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #6

Our door has infrequently jammed up like this. My DW thought we were stuck inside as well. It takes enough effort that I have to do it for her. It doesn't happen to our door every time but it does happen semi-frequently. If the lock is definitely up, we are able to make the process 'easier' by pulling "in" on the door.

Good luck escaping!
chasingsixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
door problem

had the same problem this summer , undo the 3 screws from the inside, take the face plate off you will notice a horizontal bar below heading towards where the looks go into the frame . that bar is broke you need to slide it to the left with a screwdriver and push at the same time outwards . then youll have to replace the lock we did anyhow . I really think these need to be replaced by the manufacturer for being defective , in an emergency some people couldn't get out of those escape windows . anyhow I hope this will help .
philbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I’m not familiar with Pos-I-lock so I don’t think I have it.

I’ve tried various pressures on the door, in and out, with no success.

I am trying to find someone who can try from the outside.

Thanks for all your quick replies.

John
Old 07-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
we at the time was parked in the daughters drive way and called them on the phone to come out and try to open the door from the outside to no help there , that's how I figured it out just look at it in sections where I found it broke was in the middle lower to the left was a small white plastic piece but the part that breaks it looks like pot metal, that's what actuates the handle to work . I did pick up another lock at camping world 175.00 later for the price I would expect better quality .take apicture and send it here from the inside so we can see it better
philbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #10

Did you fiddle with the deadbolt?

We had ours partially deploy in the past and experienced the issue your have currently.
Conchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Called Entegra emergency support and they confirmed I could remove the inner panel. I did, the door opened, and I lubricated everything I could. For now it is working but I think a new mechanism is called for.

John
Old 07-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My door has done that on a few occasions. We just had to pull the door closed another 1/4 of an inch and the mechanism worked as advertised. Had to really yank it closed but that worked.
ComerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #13

Thanks for the reminder to make sure I have the right tools inside the coach to disassemble the door handle plate. I'll store them in a big ziplock bag under the velcro'ed package recess on the right side of the dash where I keep the emergency hammer for the f'ing steps that jam more frequently than not and will not deploy.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
John also tighten all screws/bolts on the frame of the door and around the door. Our dead bolt started sticking and that took care of it.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door