Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #1

Used Cornerstone for Full Time advise.

Hello everyone.

My wife and I will be going full time next year and we have been looking at used and new DP in the 45' range. We've looked at the Tiffin Bus and Phaeton as well as the Entegra Anthem and Cornerstone. The Cornerstone seems to be what we're leaning towards, looking at used 2018 to 2020. (Have a $400K-$500K budget)
Question is, should we be expanding our search to include other brands? Or are we on the right track with these 2 manufactures?
Currently we own a 2012 Jayco Seneca 36FK but this is too small to live in...for us at least.
Few things I do want are the Cummins 605hp/1950tq engine and the Adaptive cruise, Collision Avoidance, etc. safety options.

Thanks!
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Newmar Essex and London Aire should definitely be on that list too. I also wouldn't focus on a 2 year old coach. After looking at new and near new coaches, I bought a five year old Ventana with very low milage and it was barely used- it looked very near new inside and out and had been professionally maintained, but the age gave me a price advantage of more than 20% over the same thing with the same milage that was 2 years newer. And once you start living in it, its going to be used anyway. In my case the difference was $30k between a 2016 and a 2018. In your’s it will be closer to $100k.

My focus was (and usually is) on getting something with low enough miles that the original owner couldn’t have neglected necessary maintenance to the detriment of the vehicle. That and physical appearance inside and out. Given those parameters a few extra years wont make any difference other than the tires timing out that much sooner.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You might have to look at a coach a couple years older but I would suggest looking at a Foretravel. Much higher quality than Newmar or Entegra. I do like Cornerstones also and would consider one also but If you look closely at a Foretravel next to an Entegra and Newmar like I did they truly are on another level.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton with 80K miles. The inside was almost perfect when we sold it. Very, very little wear held up very well. Kathy states there is less storage space in the Cornerstone. Currently have a 2017 Cornerstone. Will tell you I love the 600 Cummins ISX. Higher tow capacity too if pulling a larger trailer. With that kind of budget, I would take a look at the Tiffin Zephyr too.
Ohio44718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Our '18 Cornerstone was the first one off the line. Some growing pains with new model year, and new floor plan, but all in all I wouldn't (and won't) trade it. The '19s and newer have a different Vega Touch, and the "glass cockpit", but I don't think you'll be sorry if the right '18 comes along.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #6

The only other coach in the same class and price would be Newmar upper tier.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
You might have to look at a coach a couple years older but I would suggest looking at a Foretravel. Much higher quality than Newmar or Entegra. I do like Cornerstones also and would consider one also but If you look closely at a Foretravel next to an Entegra and Newmar like I did they truly are on another level.
I'd love to have the Foretravel but they seem to be far and few between right now in the 45' units. We do have time on our side though as we'll not be making the purchase for at least 3-4 months.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Newmar Essex and London Aire should definitely be on that list too. I also wouldn't focus on a 2 year old coach. After looking at new and near new coaches, I bought a five year old Ventana with very low milage and it was barely used- it looked very near new inside and out and had been professionally maintained, but the age gave me a price advantage of more than 20% over the same thing with the same milage that was 2 years newer. And once you start living in it, its going to be used anyway. In my case the difference was $30k between a 2016 and a 2018. In yourís it will be closer to $100k.

My focus was (and usually is) on getting something with low enough miles that the original owner couldnít have neglected necessary maintenance to the detriment of the vehicle. That and physical appearance inside and out. Given those parameters a few extra years wont make any difference other than the tires timing out that much sooner.
I actually started looking online at used Essex and London Aire this week...hence the reason I'm posting here, to get input on whether to expand my considerations or focus on Entegra. Since we're going to be living in this purchase im hoping to avoid a "money pit" coach. I've budged $4k/yr for maintenance and upkeep including tires taking into consideration I can do the fluid/filter changes and genny maintenance myself. OR should I budget a higher number for yearly costs?
Old 11-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio44718 View Post
I had a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton with 80K miles. The inside was almost perfect when we sold it. Very, very little wear held up very well. Kathy states there is less storage space in the Cornerstone. Currently have a 2017 Cornerstone. Will tell you I love the 600 Cummins ISX. Higher tow capacity too if pulling a larger trailer. With that kind of budget, I would take a look at the Tiffin Zephyr too.
How long have you had the 2017? How's the upkeep cost been?
Old 11-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
Our '18 Cornerstone was the first one off the line. Some growing pains with new model year, and new floor plan, but all in all I wouldn't (and won't) trade it. The '19s and newer have a different Vega Touch, and the "glass cockpit", but I don't think you'll be sorry if the right '18 comes along.
Plus I like the interior and exterior colors of the older models...and they have the cockpit safety options I want.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
How long have you had the 2017? How's the upkeep cost been?
Sorry not a whole lot of history, but have gone over it with a fine tooth comb. Just purchased it early summer. Only real failure was on a slide controller and the service tech said the right front wheel bearing seal was leaking when I got an alignment. Fortunately the previous owner purchased an extended warranty which was transferable so not too painful for me. Drove down to Florida and looked at some lots so have put a few thousand miles on it.
Ohio44718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #12

Go to Motorhomes of Texas. They sell a lot of used high line coaches of all brands.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
Go to Motorhomes of Texas. They sell a lot of used high line coaches of all brands.
Thanks for the info...Seen the coach I want and a stacker trailer as well. Just about $200K over budget Texas seems to have lots of MH sales and we already plan on a road trip next year once I have our funds ready (selling our property in California and we're gone!!) This place is kind of like the Motor Coach Store in FL but with more selections for a wide range of budgets.

On the Foretravel brand would you think its a safe bet on an older unit like a 2014 or 2015?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
Thanks for the info...Seen the coach I want and a stacker trailer as well. Just about $200K over budget Texas seems to have lots of MH sales and we already plan on a road trip next year once I have our funds ready (selling our property in California and we're gone!!) This place is kind of like the Motor Coach Store in FL but with more selections for a wide range of budgets.

On the Foretravel brand would you think its a safe bet on an older unit like a 2014 or 2015?
They had just gotten in the one that you are talking about when I was there about a month ago getting a new windshield. That trailer is awesome with the paint job matching the coach.

I have a 2014 and am very happy with it and don't see a need to spend more money getting a newer coach yet. The 2014 does not have adaptive cruse and a lot of the other "safety features" the newer ones have.

After 2018 FT went with Spartan Chassis that is build to FT specs. When FT was building the chassis they were all welded. The Spartan Chassis are bolted together. Don't have a clue which is better. In 2016 EPA required the Def heads to do more things and everyone is having problems

Tags
full time