Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
Member
 
Denie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 66
Used Cornerstone for Full Time advise.

Hello everyone.

My wife and I will be going full time next year and we have been looking at used and new DP in the 45' range. We've looked at the Tiffin Bus and Phaeton as well as the Entegra Anthem and Cornerstone. The Cornerstone seems to be what we're leaning towards, looking at used 2018 to 2020. (Have a $400K-$500K budget)
Question is, should we be expanding our search to include other brands? Or are we on the right track with these 2 manufactures?
Currently we own a 2012 Jayco Seneca 36FK but this is too small to live in...for us at least.
Few things I do want are the Cummins 605hp/1950tq engine and the Adaptive cruise, Collision Avoidance, etc. safety options.

Thanks!
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
R.Wold's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rosemary Farm, Northern Ca
Posts: 5,319
Newmar Essex and London Aire should definitely be on that list too. I also wouldn't focus on a 2 year old coach. After looking at new and near new coaches, I bought a five year old Ventana with very low milage and it was barely used- it looked very near new inside and out and had been professionally maintained, but the age gave me a price advantage of more than 20% over the same thing with the same milage that was 2 years newer. And once you start living in it, its going to be used anyway. In my case the difference was $30k between a 2016 and a 2018. In your’s it will be closer to $100k.

My focus was (and usually is) on getting something with low enough miles that the original owner couldn’t have neglected necessary maintenance to the detriment of the vehicle. That and physical appearance inside and out. Given those parameters a few extra years wont make any difference other than the tires timing out that much sooner.
__________________
Rich and Terry - Ventana 3427 with HWH Active Air, 1575w solar; 2001 Jeep toad.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Chargerman's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,843
You might have to look at a coach a couple years older but I would suggest looking at a Foretravel. Much higher quality than Newmar or Entegra. I do like Cornerstones also and would consider one also but If you look closely at a Foretravel next to an Entegra and Newmar like I did they truly are on another level.
__________________
Steven & Laurie
2006 Moncaco Executive Rainier
Detrioit Series 60 (515HP), Allison 4000 series
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ohio44718's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 269
I had a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton with 80K miles. The inside was almost perfect when we sold it. Very, very little wear held up very well. Kathy states there is less storage space in the Cornerstone. Currently have a 2017 Cornerstone. Will tell you I love the 600 Cummins ISX. Higher tow capacity too if pulling a larger trailer. With that kind of budget, I would take a look at the Tiffin Zephyr too.
__________________
Greg
Entegra Cornerstone 45B
Jeep Wrangler
Ohio44718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Marcosdad's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Green Valley, AZ
Posts: 1,606
Our '18 Cornerstone was the first one off the line. Some growing pains with new model year, and new floor plan, but all in all I wouldn't (and won't) trade it. The '19s and newer have a different Vega Touch, and the "glass cockpit", but I don't think you'll be sorry if the right '18 comes along.
__________________
Stew and Diane (and Marco)
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45X
Formerly: 2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45B, 2013 Entegra Aspire DEQ IFS, 2004 DSDP; all sold
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gary.Jones's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,555
Blog Entries: 1
The only other coach in the same class and price would be Newmar upper tier.

Gary
__________________
Gary and Dee, Zowie and Bowie (traveling cat sibs)
2019 Cornerstone 45B, X15-605hp, Imperial, Spartan K3,
2013 Honda CR-V toad, Demco Excali-Bar II,
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #7
Member
 
Denie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
You might have to look at a coach a couple years older but I would suggest looking at a Foretravel. Much higher quality than Newmar or Entegra. I do like Cornerstones also and would consider one also but If you look closely at a Foretravel next to an Entegra and Newmar like I did they truly are on another level.
I'd love to have the Foretravel but they seem to be far and few between right now in the 45' units. We do have time on our side though as we'll not be making the purchase for at least 3-4 months.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
Member
 
Denie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Newmar Essex and London Aire should definitely be on that list too. I also wouldn't focus on a 2 year old coach. After looking at new and near new coaches, I bought a five year old Ventana with very low milage and it was barely used- it looked very near new inside and out and had been professionally maintained, but the age gave me a price advantage of more than 20% over the same thing with the same milage that was 2 years newer. And once you start living in it, its going to be used anyway. In my case the difference was $30k between a 2016 and a 2018. In yourís it will be closer to $100k.

My focus was (and usually is) on getting something with low enough miles that the original owner couldnít have neglected necessary maintenance to the detriment of the vehicle. That and physical appearance inside and out. Given those parameters a few extra years wont make any difference other than the tires timing out that much sooner.
I actually started looking online at used Essex and London Aire this week...hence the reason I'm posting here, to get input on whether to expand my considerations or focus on Entegra. Since we're going to be living in this purchase im hoping to avoid a "money pit" coach. I've budged $4k/yr for maintenance and upkeep including tires taking into consideration I can do the fluid/filter changes and genny maintenance myself. OR should I budget a higher number for yearly costs?
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #9
Member
 
Denie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio44718 View Post
I had a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton with 80K miles. The inside was almost perfect when we sold it. Very, very little wear held up very well. Kathy states there is less storage space in the Cornerstone. Currently have a 2017 Cornerstone. Will tell you I love the 600 Cummins ISX. Higher tow capacity too if pulling a larger trailer. With that kind of budget, I would take a look at the Tiffin Zephyr too.
How long have you had the 2017? How's the upkeep cost been?
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #10
Member
 
Denie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
Our '18 Cornerstone was the first one off the line. Some growing pains with new model year, and new floor plan, but all in all I wouldn't (and won't) trade it. The '19s and newer have a different Vega Touch, and the "glass cockpit", but I don't think you'll be sorry if the right '18 comes along.
Plus I like the interior and exterior colors of the older models...and they have the cockpit safety options I want.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Ohio44718's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
How long have you had the 2017? How's the upkeep cost been?
Sorry not a whole lot of history, but have gone over it with a fine tooth comb. Just purchased it early summer. Only real failure was on a slide controller and the service tech said the right front wheel bearing seal was leaking when I got an alignment. Fortunately the previous owner purchased an extended warranty which was transferable so not too painful for me. Drove down to Florida and looked at some lots so have put a few thousand miles on it.
__________________
Greg
Entegra Cornerstone 45B
Jeep Wrangler
Ohio44718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cypress, Tx.
Posts: 540
Go to Motorhomes of Texas. They sell a lot of used high line coaches of all brands.
__________________
2014 Foretravel IH45
Houston (Cypress), TX.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
Member
 
Denie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
Go to Motorhomes of Texas. They sell a lot of used high line coaches of all brands.
Thanks for the info...Seen the coach I want and a stacker trailer as well. Just about $200K over budget Texas seems to have lots of MH sales and we already plan on a road trip next year once I have our funds ready (selling our property in California and we're gone!!) This place is kind of like the Motor Coach Store in FL but with more selections for a wide range of budgets.

On the Foretravel brand would you think its a safe bet on an older unit like a 2014 or 2015?
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cypress, Tx.
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denie View Post
Thanks for the info...Seen the coach I want and a stacker trailer as well. Just about $200K over budget Texas seems to have lots of MH sales and we already plan on a road trip next year once I have our funds ready (selling our property in California and we're gone!!) This place is kind of like the Motor Coach Store in FL but with more selections for a wide range of budgets.

On the Foretravel brand would you think its a safe bet on an older unit like a 2014 or 2015?
They had just gotten in the one that you are talking about when I was there about a month ago getting a new windshield. That trailer is awesome with the paint job matching the coach.

I have a 2014 and am very happy with it and don't see a need to spend more money getting a newer coach yet. The 2014 does not have adaptive cruse and a lot of the other "safety features" the newer ones have.

After 2018 FT went with Spartan Chassis that is build to FT specs. When FT was building the chassis they were all welded. The Spartan Chassis are bolted together. Don't have a clue which is better. In 2016 EPA required the Def heads to do more things and everyone is having problems
__________________
2014 Foretravel IH45
Houston (Cypress), TX.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
full time



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used 2008 Doubletree 5th Whl advise Jewild iRV2.com General Discussion 4 01-31-2021 03:39 PM
Does anyone full time while still working full time (not remotely)? Machine99 Full-Timers 33 07-30-2020 12:26 PM
Looking for full time rig, please advise... crunchyshad 5th Wheel Discussion 5 06-22-2018 09:38 AM
Advise please on Used RV's by Novice EagleEye35 Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 09-28-2017 01:32 AM
Advise Please, Pending Used Purchase Madrona Monaco Owner's Forum 32 05-20-2010 01:26 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.