Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Using Entegra 2020 coach air system to fill coach tires

Angie's new video explained using the air system on a 2020 Cornerstone to fill coach tires. She indicates it will put out 130psi which is sufficient for all my tires. A few years ago I bought the Viair air pump which I use for coach and pickup tires, but I would like the option of using the coach air when possible. My question is - can you use the ViAir air hoses with the coach system, and what adapters are needed to connect a hose. There's a female quick disconnect on the ViAir hose and also on the coach. Also I think the hose is 1/4" diameter and wondered if that's large enough to handle the coach output. Thanks!
The Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #2

Not an answer to your main question, BUT, you theoretically have been able to use the coach's air compressor to fill all tires on a coach for at least 6 or 7 years, however, actually doing it is a whole lot harder to do than Angie may indicate that it is.... Many coaches are running ~ 120 psi on the front tires and axle and I can tell you that it takes a very long time to add two PSI using the coach air to a tire that is at 125 psi or 122 psi to begin with. Takes so long that most of us (and you) found that a 150 psi ViaAir is a LOT faster and easier. Those that use the coach air have often used a pressure doubler system because the coach air system is so darn slow. If Angie is right on it working well, then it will be the first year of coach that will air up adequately.

I would not be too fast in getting rid of your ViaAir or believing that you will be happy without it...... I might be wrong... I dont own a 20

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know about the ViAir fitting, but I have used the method Angie showed for years before changing.. I used the heavy, orange colored, coiled air hose sold at Harbor Freight along with a clip on air chuck also sold there.
I have since changed to this system. I purchased one like new on eBay for $20. Nobody bid on it that day. Nice photo post if it suits your needs. It is fast, engine barely need to idle, brakes don't need to be pumped, nothing to set up, plug in the air hose and go. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/air...or-377030.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Like Gary said, most folks find using chassis air for the tires is a complicated process. Using an air doubler will get you the results you are looking for and here is a link to consider: Installing an Air Pressure Booster

As far as the Viair hoses...they will work, but you probably will need to change the male fitting that connects to the coach. BTW, the correct fitting should be attached to the air coupler in the coach with a tywrap. Another thing that I found is much better performance using 3/8 inch air hoses vs. the 1/4 hoses provided with the Viair unit.

Here is a video that explains how to use the chassis air to inflate the coach tires without having to keep ramping up the on board compressor by stepping on the brake:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/how-...or-326795.html
Old 03-02-2020, 06:10 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Trying to fill tires to 125 psi from coach air is an exercise in frustration. I have used the Viair and the doubler and both work well and will make your life much easier.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #6

Isn't there also a potential issue with moisture such that use of the air doubler with the coach's onboard compressor would be preferable to using the Via Air system?
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Isn't there also a potential issue with moisture such that use of the air doubler with the coach's onboard compressor would be preferable to using the Via Air system?
Yes using dry filtered air with the air doubler is preferred to humid atmospheric air from a compressor.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

I have tried filling from the coach and, as noted, it's miserable.

I've tried the electric compressors such as ViAir or ARB, and they work ok (slow), a good compact electric compressor from Home Depot or Lowes (like a pancake) works pretty well too, but takes up a fair bit of cargo room.

The doubler, by a bunch, is your best bet, IMO. They work very well, and are dependable and fast. As noted, they don't require a drier, because they are using dry air directly off the coach, which of course has its own built in drier.

Edit: If you install a doubler, I would recommend putting a shut off valve on it to prevent the coach from refilling every time you drop air pressure.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #9

A note on pressure doublers.... I took a quick look for the price of a standard air doubler on EBay and the current price for an air doubler new runs from about $400 to $2,000. Keep your ViAir.

Unless you can find a used one, as new, you are beating your head against the wall with that option.

Now, the coach air system is probably the quickest and best way to air up your drive and tag axle tires as they are usually around 85-90 pounds, but those big front tires are a real pain in the butt....

Gary
Old 03-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Here is one for $186 or best offer. They come available all the time from equipment brokers. Mine was like brand new, purchase price was $20.50. He had several for sale listed individually. Mine was one of the last ones that sat there not sold. The smaller size is ideal for MH mounting. The older style larger models can be purchased for less the $100. Check daily for the best deals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Brand-N...kAAOSw8yVZjREK
Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #11

Chuck

I have NEVER seen a price anywhere near that low a price and I have checked closely. You are a very lucky man!

Off Topic: what the heck are these things "normally" used for in industry or whereever??

Gary
Old 03-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
It can be done. I did watch and wait as I was in no hurry.

SMC VBA10A-T02-Z booster regulator
( 132479489667 )

ITEM PRICE:US $20.50

They are used in industrial equipment that needs compressed air to operate. One of these will run a machine off of a small air compressor instead of a large compressor. Multiply that by 20 machines and one large compressor will run all the machines with air doublers. The purchase I made was a broker that was parting out a machine shop. He must have had 20 doublers listed few weeks apart.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Using Entegra 2020 coach air system to fill coach tires

We also have 2020 Entegra Anthem as does the OP. With the 20,000 lb front axle and the 365 front tires we only require 105psi in the front tires, 85 in all other tires. I use a 50’ 3/8” rubber hose (large hose more volume capacity). Spartan tie wraps a fitting to the coach air connection. Just attach it to the hose end to connect to coach air. No need for booster or supplemental air. I can reach all tires with this hose. First I check which tires require air via Valid TPMS system. Easy Pesy.
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #14

Thanks for your replies!

I appreciate the great advice people give on this website. Since my original post I found a $3 adaptor at Home Depot that I screwed into the connector that Entegra zip ties on the coach air hose connection. This makes two male connections ends. I plugged the Entegra connector into the coach air (the Entegra book indicate this is designed to fit the coach air system) and used the new adaptor to connect into my ViAir hoses. Used the coach air to top off my drive and tag tires yesterday and it was very quick and easy. Only needed less than 5 pounds in each tire and it only took a few minutes per tire. Did pump the brakes a few times but my air gages showed about 135psi at top end. I did NOT have to put air into the front tires so I can't tell you how that might work, but your advice about filling the front tires is why I bought the ViAir pump a few years ago. So will definitely keep it on hand and use when needed. Bottom line, I just wanted to use the coach as an option to setting up the ViAir pump and it worked fine for the dual and tag tires. Thanks to everyone for your advice.
The Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, entegra, tires