Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Using Pepwave for streaming in a 2018 Anthem

First a disclaimer; I am not very savvy when it comes to TV, cell and WiFi technology i.e. plug it in and hope it works And so far we have been just fine with DTV, our over air antenna and cable. However we got a fire stick last year in our S&B and DW misses her shows and movies when on the road.

So I have read with interest several threads on streaming and devises used to accomplish streaming including the current HULU stream. I currently use my Samsung cell as a hotspot for our laptops when we have good service which we currently have. After reading the HULU thread I looked at my Pepwave unit, see the blinking WiFi LED but have no clue how to connect it wirelessly to my cell phone. Also cannot find a Pepwave manual in my manual box. So that's my first question.

Second question deals my main TV. It does not look like a 'Smart' TV, so will it be able to accept streaming from the Pepwave.

Last question deals with obtaining a stronger cell signal either by a boost or perhaps a different national service through the system installed from the factory. I believe it is a Winegard product. Thanks for any help!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #2

Gary,
The Pepwave should have a model # located on it and you can find manuals here: https://www.peplink.com/support/

As it relates to connecting the Samsung HS to the Pepwave. if your Pepwave supports tethering (some do some don't) and your Samsung plan has tethering you can plug the Samsung into the USB port on the pepwave and the pepwave mgmt software (accessed generally by going to an ip address) will give you the ability to add teh tether cell device as a source of bandwidth possibly in addition to the camps wifi. If the Pepwave does not have tethering then you can enable the samsung as a hotspot with wifi and connect the pepwave to that SSID that the samsung device is broadcasting. In this mode you would have only one source of bandwidth and that would be your samsung hotspot as that broadcasts a wifi signal vs providing a cellular attach point.

On the firestick. You can connect the firestick to teh matrix in the AUX port and then the firestick will be a source for all the TV in the coach. The firestick would then connect to the pepwave wireless ssid as its source of wifi.

ON the gaining stronger cell signal. We have a WeBoost and it works pretty well. Especially if you can get the antennae high. in a completely no signal campground with no wifi we got to 2 bars at times and could stream.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Regards,
Jeff
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Jeff thanks for that detailed answer. Questions 2&3 are pretty cut and dry, I'll have to get a firestick and see how our current service (c-Spire) works. However the first, and most important, step I need to research some. I found the manual, I have a surf soho model.

Nowhere in the manual does it mention tethering, my cell phone does but I don't think that's what you are talking about. If I simply connect my cell into the USB port and the firestick in the matrix will instructions show on the TV? The manual talks about connecting a laptop to a LAN port all of which are currently filled, but it would just be for config; but I'm not sure where to go from there.

The second option you mention sounds like a wireless connection but I can't find in the manual how to connect to my cell's SSID.

It seems to me that once I have the firestick in hand I should be able to contact Firefly to walk me through the steps since they have their sticker on the Pepwave unit.

Thanks again and any other input would be welcome!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #4

Gary before I dug into all the equipment on my 19 44F which I still am I just hot spot my phone to the tv. Your tv’s should be smart tv’s at least the televator unit. Hit the home button on the Samsung remote and scroll left to settings then go to network. From there select wireless network to search for your phone. This can also find your pep wave which the network id is located on a sticker on the front of the unit. See picture attached as a reference. This is how mine works so if yours is different I apologize.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C0FD5D0-DEAC-486B-9B7B-7A1642329331.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	305096  
JGilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I have our Firestick plugged into an HDMI outlet in the TV cabinet (where the satellite box lives) marked something along the lines of “HDMI to All.” Then I can select HDMI as the input on the TV and I get the Firestick screen. We have a “B” model so our hookups are in the cabinet over the Fireplace but on our previous RBQ they were in the cabinet above the TV. I also connected our TV to our router (but could have used a hotspot or phone WiFi) and rarely need to use the Firestick. The TV has almost all the apps I need. Good luck!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Jeff thanks for that detailed answer. Questions 2&3 are pretty cut and dry, I'll have to get a firestick and see how our current service (c-Spire) works. However the first, and most important, step I need to research some. I found the manual, I have a surf soho model.

Nowhere in the manual does it mention tethering, my cell phone does but I don't think that's what you are talking about. If I simply connect my cell into the USB port and the firestick in the matrix will instructions show on the TV? The manual talks about connecting a laptop to a LAN port all of which are currently filled, but it would just be for config; but I'm not sure where to go from there.

The second option you mention sounds like a wireless connection but I can't find in the manual how to connect to my cell's SSID.

It seems to me that once I have the firestick in hand I should be able to contact Firefly to walk me through the steps since they have their sticker on the Pepwave unit.

Thanks again and any other input would be welcome!

Gary, On the question of the Firestick. Here are Amazons instructions on connecting to the TV. The HDMI port referenced can be the AUX port on the matrix (making that input switchable) or the HDMI all port in the cabinet, similar to HDgoldie (also switchable but by way of changing the input on the TV)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...2KYQ2NQA9YVGQW

On the question of the connectivity of the hotspot to the Soho. You will be using the USB port on the router as the tether point. Not one of the RJ45 ports. If the Soho you have is the Pepwave Surf Soho here on Page 16 would be the starting reference point for USB tethering showing the plug in of the hotspot either phone as hotspot or dedicated mifi device. https://download.peplink.com/manual/...manual_fw7.pdf

Page 18 details connecting to the Soho mgmt page.
Page 19 discusses priority of outbound traffic so you can favor camp wifi or hotspot for data cost savings when possible
Page 64-65 discuss creating a priority of service to potentially prioritize streaming services.

In general in tether mode the hotspot will not present a wireless SSID that you can search for and connect to. In that mode it provides it's cellular data services to the controlling device. In this instance the Soho. and the Soho sees that outbound (and inbound) data connection as a source of bandwidth. In this manner you have a single connection SSID that all devices connect to and the Soho routes data out the appropriate link.

So, assuming a plug and play (and sometimes that a big assumption) you can simply get a USB cable and, if using a tethered phone enable tethering on the device, then plug into the USB port on the Soho. (if dedicated mifi simply plug into the USB port on the Soho)

Doing this should add that connection into the list in the Soho and start leveraging that as bandwidth. (Page 19)

At that point every device in the coach connects to a single Wifi SSID including TV.

End goal is a consistent and singular SSID for everyone in your coach. (guest wifi aside....)

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 10-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks so much for your detailed responses! Got to hit the road but was able to access my cell hotspot on the TV and saw the Pepwave. I'll work on logging into Netflix, etc. at the next stop. I'm thinking the FMLA Sprint hot spot might be my answer for a stronger cell along with a WiFi booster. Next project!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
Old 10-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Thanks so much for your detailed responses! Got to hit the road but was able to access my cell hotspot on the TV and saw the Pepwave. I'll work on logging into Netflix, etc. at the next stop. I'm thinking the FMLA Sprint hot spot might be my answer for a stronger cell along with a WiFi booster. Next project!

Safe travels
Old 10-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #9

I forgot to mention. If you want 'boosting' of WiFi that Soho has discreet SMA antennae connectors and an external antennae like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Pro...97700148&psc=1

Pepwave has one too:
https://5gstore.com/product/10213_pe...BoCBfUQAvD_BwE

will provide 2.4Ghz/5Ghz Wifi as well as 2 LTE mimo antenna's and a GPS antennae for if you want a better and more accurate GPS in dash.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The 18 should be a Smart TV and have Prime as a free app. Won't even have to use your Fire Stick, just sign on. https://www.techowns.com/amazon-prim...sung-smart-tv/
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #11

My rig has a Pepwave Surf Soho in it. What can I do with it? Tether an internet hotspot?
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
My rig has a Pepwave Surf Soho in it. What can I do with it? Tether an internet hotspot?

Technically....Yes.

I say yes because that simple plug and play of a mifi hotspot or a tethered phone is supposed to be that simple and straight forward. The rub may be if the Pepwave Soho is supplied by Firefly then it is possible that they have specified a custom firmware on the router and that could negate that feature. As the Reatta XL does not come with the Pepwave I have not seen first hand. and the Pepwaves were all sold out during Covid so I ended up with the Wifi Ranger Aspen.

However, I would be surprised if a custom firmware is leveraged by Firefly and would expect it to be the PepLink Pepwave unit with no modifications.

You should be able to plug in the mifi and then using a browser connect to the mgmt page of the Soho (starting on page 18 of the Soho manual link above) and shift the order of your preferred priority around. The hotspot will be the one listed as wifi wan.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.herren View Post
I forgot to mention. If you want 'boosting' of WiFi that Soho has discreet SMA antennae connectors and an external antennae like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Pro...97700148&psc=1

Pepwave has one too:
https://5gstore.com/product/10213_pe...BoCBfUQAvD_BwE

will provide 2.4Ghz/5Ghz Wifi as well as 2 LTE mimo antenna's and a GPS antennae for if you want a better and more accurate GPS in dash.

X2 what a booster antenna will do. Entegra on the 21's now installs the Winegard 4G. What a difference in reception over my 19. The 21 now uses the Winegard router instead of the Prepwave, but same principal that Jeff mentioned.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The 18 should be a Smart TV and have Prime as a free app. Won't even have to use your Fire Stick, just sign on. https://www.techowns.com/amazon-prim...sung-smart-tv/

Completely agree the smart TV mitigates the need for the firestick on the main TV.

A consideration in leveraging the Firestick plugged into the matrix is now any TV in the rig can access the stick simply by switching the matrix.

Tags
anthem