Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Vega Touch Floor Heat

Wondering if others experience same issue. Turning on floor heat to "1" at any outside temperature above 30 degrees results in coach overheating inside especially in mid-coach. We had a '13 Cornerstone and enjoyed floor heat with the ability to adjust temperature much more precisely than the settings available on the Vega Touch. Currently spending time in Las Vegas and it would be nice to have the floors warn through the night. I am going to reach out to Firefly to inquire about adjusting set points inside Vega Touch. I am guessing these are hard coded but it would be nice to have a way to adjust temperature more precisely.
petegass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Pete, I am sure glad you asked that question. It is one I have had about the Vega Touch, but nobody ever posts about it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

We noticed the same thing while staying at NIRVC. I didn't equate it to the floor heat, but now that you brought it up, it was much warmer mid coach while I had the floor heat on. Interesting.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not really experiencing the over heating using the floor heat the OP is mentioning?

We turn the floor heat to 1 (electric heat only, diesel heat off) when night time temps are below 50 and do not get overheating. Only if the daytime temps get above 55-60 do we then need to turn it off. When we see a cold night temp forecast (usually below 45 or so) will turn it on when we go to bed and the floor is warm enough in the morning to walk barefoot on the tile and the coach is not too warm.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

My only complaint about VT.

The previous coach (14 Anthem) had the same floor heating system, but a more precise thermostat...it was much better. We never turn the floor heat above the 1 position either, and when boondocking (forced to use diesel AH, not electric), it is consistently too warm for comfort after a few hours.

New setpoints would be great, temperature based thermostat would be even better.

I am very interested to hear what firefly has to say.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
My only complaint about VT.

The previous coach (14 Anthem) had the same floor heating system, but a more precise thermostat...it was much better. We never turn the floor heat above the 1 position either, and when boondocking (forced to use diesel AH, not electric), it is consistently too warm for comfort after a few hours.

New setpoints would be great, temperature based thermostat would be even better.

I am very interested to hear what firefly has to say.
Per PJ last year, each increment of the floor heat adds 3 degrees, starting at 72 degrees.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #7

I've noticed the same thing in my '17 Anthem. What's the point of just 5 settings? As advanced as the VT is, I really see no reason at all for it not to have an actual thermostat that we can adjust from 60 to 78 or whatever. And I really see no point to have 5 set points starting at 72 degrees in 3 degree steps. Who on earth is going to set the temperature to 87 degrees?
Pwdr Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdr Extreme View Post
I've noticed the same thing in my '17 Anthem. What's the point of just 5 settings? As advanced as the VT is, I really see no reason at all for it not to have an actual thermostat that we can adjust from 60 to 78 or whatever. And I really see no point to have 5 set points starting at 72 degrees in 3 degree steps. Who on earth is going to set the temperature to 87 degrees?
It’s not the Vegatouch. The system being controlled doesn’t have much resolution. Hot boiler fluid, that varies in temperature, is being pumped through tubing under a floor that can vary greatly in ambient temperature. Just starting and stopping the pump is a poor control mechanism. The thermostat could have very fine gradations and you still wouldn’t have the control you’re describing.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 12-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
It’s not the Vegatouch. The system being controlled doesn’t have much resolution. Hot boiler fluid, that varies in temperature, is being pumped through tubing under a floor that can vary greatly in ambient temperature. Just starting and stopping the pump is a poor control mechanism. The thermostat could have very fine gradations and you still wouldn’t have the control you’re describing.

Starting and stopping the pump which is pumping hot fluid from a boiler is EXACTLY how in floor heating in a house works.
Pwdr Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I wonder if the floor heat loop on the 17 and later coaches is different. For example does turning on the floor heat in the 16 and older coaches circulate the boiler fluid through the heat exchangers for the house? I believe in our coach the temp sensor is the one by the half bath that is a foot of so off the floor. I believe most in floor heating systems have the sensor directly under the tile and in the floor.

I am not so sure that this is a Firefly issue, but if it is I would think that they could fix the problem fairly easily.

We also find the same temperature gain in our 17 when on diesel. Since Ready2Travels post on using electric only with the floor heat we have tried that and it does work better. Of course you need to be on electric.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdr Extreme View Post
Starting and stopping the pump which is pumping hot fluid from a boiler is EXACTLY how in floor heating in a house works.
And there the similarity ends.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
After watching the posts, I still have the same question....is the Vega Touch floor heat as accurate as the old style Classic thermostat floor heat? In the Classic we can heat the floor with a higher temperature setting, then turn it down to a comfortable level and forget it. Does the VT do that? From what I am reading, it cannot, is that correct? I ask because we have "thought" of a new Cornerstone. I have already spent 2 years going through AH heat problems and don't want to start all over again.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

When I had the Anthem, we typically set the floor heat temp to 72 degrees, so it would seem that the "1" setting would work well for us, but as noted, it gets pretty warm. Honestly, the Anthem was not nearly as tightly built as the Cornerstone. I don't think that is a model thing as much as a year model thing. Maybe that would explain why 72 degrees is too warm in the newer coach?

Perhaps new firmware/hardware to make the first increment at 70 degrees would be better.

Edit: Chuck, I've found in general that the 2017 coach has way better QC than the 2014 coach. Can't speak specifically to this issue, but that is my impression.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #14

First, I don't really believe "1" on Vega Touch is 72 degrees. Seems more like about 78 or 80 from the '13 Cornerstone. I would much prefer to have some incremental setting that I could adjust down a degree or two. The Vega Touch is now more like an "on" or "off" switch.

Also wondering where the temp sensor is for the Vega Toych floor heat? Cannot see it inside any of the grilles for the AH heat like on the Cornerstone.
petegass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat