Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

Venting issue

Hi, we have a 2018 Aspire. We will get a sewer smell in the coach that leads me to think its a venting issue. Using the washing machine, taking a shower or emptying our tanks, causes the bad smell. Is there a place I should look to identify the problem or a mechanical vent that potentially isn't working that I could replace? Thank you for your feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Floor plan? Two things, When you get the smell, open the bathroom cabinet doors and see if the smell is stronger there. If so, it the Studor vent, also know as the Air Admittance Valve plumbed into the sink plumbing. The factory ones are known to stick and cause the sewer smell.

I doubt this one if it is happening while using the washer but, check that the washing machine hose is not longer than the P trap in the pipe. If it is cut it off to above the P trap.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Are you getting a sewer (sewage) smell or gray water smell? They are both unpleasant but very different smells. If it’s gray water it’s likely an AAV like Chuck said. Depending on your floor plan you may have up to 4 AAVs: 1/2 bath sink, full bath sink, kitchen sink and washing machine.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:49 AM   #4

Try shutting down your grey valve (assuming you leave it open). If the smell goes away you will need to form a p-trap with your sewer line to be able to leave your grey valve open without smell. I have to do this to avoid the sewer smell in mine.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:18 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Ron, if you have to form a P trap in the sewer line, one of the AAV under one of the sinks are bad. All are easy fixes if you purchase just the replacement valves at Lowe's, they just screw on. They are the $6. black ones The Upgrade Studar valves take a little modification.
I just purchased a spare to carry on the new MH.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
On our 2yr PDI visit I happened to mention to the techs of an occasional bad smell. They said they found a couple of P Trap connections that were not tight. I thought that rather strange as I was sure if they found something wrong it would likely be an AAV. Anyway,happy to say, we have never noticed the smell since, year and a half later. Might be worth a check.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #7

Chuck, on mine it appears to come from the W/D area. I have replaced the sink vents on my previous coach and am aware of that problem but this appears to be a different problem so forming a p-trap with the three inch sewer hose is an easy fix for me.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlin11 View Post
Chuck, on mine it appears to come from the W/D area. I have replaced the sink vents on my previous coach and am aware of that problem but this appears to be a different problem so forming a p-trap with the three inch sewer hose is an easy fix for me.
Ron,

There is also an AAV on many coach models behind the washing machine.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Ron,

There is also an AAV on many coach models behind the washing machine.
And it’s the hardest one to get to by far.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 10-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #10

Thank you to all who replied and added value to this discussion.
Our coach is a 2018 44W Aspire.
I now know that I have 4 mechanical vents, (bath 1&2, kitchen sink & washing machine). I turned on the fan in the full bath, with no open windows, and the smell came back. Smelled each vent and got nothing. It was strongest in the bedroom. I can't find where the smell is coming from?

More ideas please!!
Old 10-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMorgan View Post
I now know that I have 4 mechanical vents, (bath 1&2, kitchen sink & washing machine). I turned on the fan in the full bath, with no open windows, and the smell came back. Smelled each vent and got nothing. It was strongest in the bedroom. I can't find where the smell is coming from?

More ideas please!!
Our gray tank smell was very strong outside the coach on the passenger side in the rear. Inside the coach, near the sink we couldn’t smell anything. Turned out to be the AAV at the rear bath sink. So your nose won’t always lead you to the source.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 10-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #12

Hope this is okay, you know, Entegra Forum Etiquette, I have unearthed more questions.
Our washing machine looks like only the cold water is connected. The red pex on/off valve is capped off.

When looking around the washing machine with a flashlight, on the right side, there is a little black box, looks like its plugged into power. Any idea what this is?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMorgan View Post

More ideas please!!
I'll share mine on the new 19. Sewer smell in the 1/2 bath, replaced the AAV, it came back the next day. After a short shake down cruise, found the seal at the base of the toilet was the cause. Removed the toilet to find the base was mounted 1.5 inches off center where the seal was not making contact on one side.
Someone had left thin set dried on the floor causing the mounting bolts to be off center. Removed the thin set remounted the toilet centered, problem solved. Notice water stain on floor in front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180926_144015.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	223769  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had the same smell in my 16 Anthem. It turned out that they forgot to put the studor valve behind the washer. Held my phone back behind washer and took pictures to discover it was never installed. Put one on and no more smell.

Tags
vent