Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
GeezerViz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzfam View Post
I also have the 450RV. Powerful enough to inflate over 125 but slow. My other comment is that it needs to be clamped to battery posts. Why not add a plug??

As an aside = I use my truck battery but would like some advice on how to clamp to my house or chassis battery?
I use my chassis battery. Open the rear bay door and I have easy access to the batteries. Just clamp on like you do with your truck. The hoses are plenty long enough to reach all tires. Access to the house batteries would be a chore, since they are behind an access panel in the middle of the coach.
__________________
Mike and Barb
2017 Insignia W
2014 Chevy Equinox
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
lo-tek's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
I use my chassis battery. Open the rear bay door and I have easy access to the batteries. Just clamp on like you do with your truck. The hoses are plenty long enough to reach all tires. Access to the house batteries would be a chore, since they are behind an access panel in the middle of the coach.
I've been clipping mine to my tow vehicle. I like your idea better.
__________________
weekend adventurer
2021 Entegra Anthem 44w
tows: 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 163
Viair recommends having the battery source running so there is constant power via the alternator to the batteries. Probably due to the length of the air process for 6 or 8 tires.
That being the case I start the toad and use that running vehicle as my source.
I'm sure with the pair of chassis batteries it's really not required to start the coach and idle but I don't want a long un necessary idle on the cummins. Def Head scared of long idles
__________________
Jeff and Kathy (Molly, Bella and Butterscotch fur kids)
2020 Entegra Reatta XL 40Q2
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk RViBrake3 +TPMS
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
garysfb's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 764
I use the posts in the small bay under the driver's side. I've never had to start up the coach, but I'm usually hooked to 50 amp.
__________________
Gary and Phyllis Small
2018 Anthem 44F
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Sahara
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
GeezerViz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I use the posts in the small bay under the driver's side. I've never had to start up the coach, but I'm usually hooked to 50 amp.
Ackkk... That is not a good idea. At least based on what I was told. I used to do that too untill I went to the Spartan Academy and both Big Mike and PJ said never, never, never, hook anything up to those posts. They are attached to your something or other main control module and if you hook up to it, you can short circuit that unit which is a multi thousand dollar repair. The newer coach's now have those posts hidden so no one will hook up to them. So I just use the chassis battery without the coach running and have been fine.
__________________
Mike and Barb
2017 Insignia W
2014 Chevy Equinox
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:20 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 37,593
I have the 450 RV Viair for my 365/70 fronts that take 125 psi.
The rest take 85 psi.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft, HWH Active Air
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '21 Jeep JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:09 AM   #21
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,202
I like mine but sure would like to have more volume to blow dust and sand out of the compartments and steps of the rv. You get about 5 seconds.

I have room for a small pancake type compressor and may add one of those.

If you search you can find a small mount for the viair. I do not bolt mine in permanently but do keep it on the perch off the floor so it does not take up precious space.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
400 Isl, 400 HP/// Now 450 HP
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
RVFunlovers's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Ackkk... That is not a good idea. At least based on what I was told. I used to do that too untill I went to the Spartan Academy and both Big Mike and PJ said never, never, never, hook anything up to those posts. They are attached to your something or other main control module and if you hook up to it, you can short circuit that unit which is a multi thousand dollar repair. The newer coach's now have those posts hidden so no one will hook up to them. So I just use the chassis battery without the coach running and have been fine.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that hooking up to those post are a risk. I will power my compressor from my chassis battery or tow vehicle battery going forward. Thanks for sharing.
__________________

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Winemaker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western NY
Posts: 4,211
I considered them but opted for a 120V Porta Cable for about half the price. I didn't see the need / advantage of 12V as I always have 120V available on the MH. It might be different if I was an off road 4 wheeler.
__________________
Don & Marge
'13 Newmar Ventana 3433 - '14 CR-V TOAD
'03 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y - SOLD
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
 
Cruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 5,240
It gets tough to air up steer tires to 120 PSI but I have a multiple of options. I installed the Pressure Booster as mentioned in an early post. That will allow pressures to increase up to double if needed. That lets me use my coach air to easily fill the tires with minimal time. It also gives me oil and moisture free dry air because the coach's air dryer filters the air.

For those times when I don't want to run the coach I use a Viair 450 12 volt compressor. But I mounted it in the compartment rather than go with the alligator clips. It's controlled by a solenoid coil that I control from a dash mounted illuminated mini rocker switch. There is a pressure cutout switch so I can actually leave it on for hours if need be to ensure that my air tanks stay full when using the Hadley air leveling rather than the Equalizer jacks. I can also top off the tanks prior to departing in the morning without having to run the big diesel and wake up the neighbors. This setup also saves me the room of storing a larger pancake portable compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor-1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	328334  
__________________
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
It gets tough to air up steer tires to 120 PSI but I have a multiple of options. I installed the Pressure Booster as mentioned in an early post. That will allow pressures to increase up to double if needed. That lets me use my coach air to easily fill the tires with minimal time. It also gives me oil and moisture free dry air because the coach's air dryer filters the air.



For those times when I don't want to run the coach I use a Viair 450 12 volt compressor. But I mounted it in the compartment rather than go with the alligator clips. It's controlled by a solenoid coil that I control from a dash mounted illuminated mini rocker switch. There is a pressure cutout switch so I can actually leave it on for hours if need be to ensure that my air tanks stay full when using the Hadley air leveling rather than the Equalizer jacks. I can also top off the tanks prior to departing in the morning without having to run the big diesel and wake up the neighbors. This setup also saves me the room of storing a larger pancake portable compressor.


Very clean set up, good job.
AggrevatedRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
RV Wanderers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Full Timers
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
It gets tough to air up steer tires to 120 PSI but I have a multiple of options. I installed the Pressure Booster as mentioned in an early post. That will allow pressures to increase up to double if needed. That lets me use my coach air to easily fill the tires with minimal time. It also gives me oil and moisture free dry air because the coach's air dryer filters the air.

For those times when I don't want to run the coach I use a Viair 450 12 volt compressor. But I mounted it in the compartment rather than go with the alligator clips. It's controlled by a solenoid coil that I control from a dash mounted illuminated mini rocker switch. There is a pressure cutout switch so I can actually leave it on for hours if need be to ensure that my air tanks stay full when using the Hadley air leveling rather than the Equalizer jacks. I can also top off the tanks prior to departing in the morning without having to run the big diesel and wake up the neighbors. This setup also saves me the room of storing a larger pancake portable compressor.

Any chance you have a wiring diagram/schematic? Love your set up and never thought about doing this with our Viair.
__________________
RV Wanderers
2017 Entegra Insignia 44W
RV Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
 
Cruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 5,240
I have a book full of wiring diagrams from all my mods.

The key is that I used a larger relay to allow the higher amperage to flow to the compressors while still retaining a smaller rocker switch. I also added aa smaller relay so that the pilot light on the mini-rocker switch would only light up when the ignition key was on. That way it wouldn't be on while parked but would be a reminder that it was still on and can be turned off once we hit the road.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Viair Air Compressor Wiring.pdf (13.8 KB, 13 views)
__________________
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 47,309
The 450P-RV has 100% duty cycle. The 400P-RV is 33%! The 450 is definitely the way to go!
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, compressor



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VIAIR's NEW VIAIR RV Winterization Kit! ViairCorp Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 2 10-05-2018 12:17 PM
Viair 12v 400P-RV Air Compressor review airmon Gear and Product Discussions 2 05-10-2014 10:40 PM
Viair 400P-RV s1njin Class C Motorhome Discussions 1 04-23-2014 06:57 PM
VIAIR air compressor mounting question stormguy Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 06-11-2012 05:35 AM
ViAir 440P Compressor Bruce H MH-General Discussions & Problems 6 03-10-2009 11:57 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.