Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Viair compressors

Does anyone carry a Viair compressor to assist in inflating steer tires to pressures higher than the coach air system can provide? If you do carry this type of compressor, do you find it adequate, rated at 150psi, to fill steer tires to about 125 psi?
Thanks
Bunkerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We carry one and it can fell my steers to 130.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #3

Yes and yes. I like that the compressor is small and quiet but it is not fast and it can get hot. No problem inflating the steer tires to 125. I use the screw on connector (the part that screws on to the valve stem) otherwise I get a hand cramp if I have to go more than 5 psi.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Yes and yes. I like that the compressor is small and quiet but it is not fast and it can get hot. No problem inflating the steer tires to 125. I use the screw on connector (the part that screws on to the valve stem) otherwise I get a hand cramp if I have to go more than 5 psi.
That's a great idea! It seems to take about a minute per pound and isn't great for my back either. Headed for the store to get one, thanks!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

Air pumps.

The Viair units are arguably the most popular. They are very portable and seem to be of good quality. I elected a 120v 150psi Porter Cable (link below). While it’s bigger and heavier, the 120v AC powered units tend to be faster and a little more robust. I use “lock on” air chucks to avoid bending over and pressing on an air nipple.

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Close...dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://www.pepboys.com/porter-cable...product/770833

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
That's a great idea! It seems to take about a minute per pound and isn't great for my back either. Headed for the store to get one, thanks!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use a VIair compressor.

I use it on all RV tires, tow vehicle tires, and bike tires. I got the kit that is sold with it and it comes with an extra long hose. I connect my VIair to the 12V power in the from compartment on the drivers side.

The compressor is small and works great for the high pressure needed in the front tires. I have never tried to inflate a completely flat motorhome tire with the VIair but it works great for adding a few pounds if needed.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
I installed one of these, and it works great I can get all the pressure I need actually it will go up to 300psi but I dial it down to 180psi.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	327785Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0989.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	327786
AggrevatedRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
Let me know where I can get one!

I tried mine out this weekend with the wand attachment and I let more air out than in!

While we are on the subject, I just discovered the coach air system this weekend. How do I use the system and what is the limit?
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Let me know where I can get one!

I tried mine out this weekend with the wand attachment and I let more air out than in!

While we are on the subject, I just discovered the coach air system this weekend. How do I use the system and what is the limit?
https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Close...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Limit is about 120 on a Coach system and ONLY when compressor is engaged. I believe my Porter Cable is 5-10 times faster. And does not require engine startup and running for 50 minutes

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We use the Vair 450RV. It will bring my coach tires to 120 psi easily. I also use the screw on connector as it takes a minute or so per psi. Small light and perfect for RV. Make sure you purchase the size needed for your tires as the smaller ones have less psi and shorter duty cycle.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #12

The 450RV comes with the screw on connector. Here is the compressor and you can see the screw on air chuck, but I can't find it separately. https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/450p-rv-auto
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:20 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They have several RV models now. The 450 is the largest and most powerful and will fill 22.5 class A tires and has the screw on connector. It has a longer duty cycle, 2 air hoses to reach all the tires of a class A and I believe goes to 150 PSI. They go down in size and duty cycle from there. My RV450 does a good job for a very small portable unit.

Maybe give Viair a call and see if they sell the screw on separately.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I also have the 450RV. Powerful enough to inflate over 125 but slow. My other comment is that it needs to be clamped to battery posts. Why not add a plug??

As an aside = I use my truck battery but would like some advice on how to clamp to my house or chassis battery?
Manzfam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor