Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzfam View Post
I also have the 450RV. Powerful enough to inflate over 125 but slow. My other comment is that it needs to be clamped to battery posts. Why not add a plug??

As an aside = I use my truck battery but would like some advice on how to clamp to my house or chassis battery?
I use my chassis battery. Open the rear bay door and I have easy access to the batteries. Just clamp on like you do with your truck. The hoses are plenty long enough to reach all tires. Access to the house batteries would be a chore, since they are behind an access panel in the middle of the coach.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
I use my chassis battery. Open the rear bay door and I have easy access to the batteries. Just clamp on like you do with your truck. The hoses are plenty long enough to reach all tires. Access to the house batteries would be a chore, since they are behind an access panel in the middle of the coach.
I've been clipping mine to my tow vehicle. I like your idea better.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #17

Viair recommends having the battery source running so there is constant power via the alternator to the batteries. Probably due to the length of the air process for 6 or 8 tires.
That being the case I start the toad and use that running vehicle as my source.
I'm sure with the pair of chassis batteries it's really not required to start the coach and idle but I don't want a long un necessary idle on the cummins. Def Head scared of long idles
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I use the posts in the small bay under the driver's side. I've never had to start up the coach, but I'm usually hooked to 50 amp.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I use the posts in the small bay under the driver's side. I've never had to start up the coach, but I'm usually hooked to 50 amp.
Ackkk... That is not a good idea. At least based on what I was told. I used to do that too untill I went to the Spartan Academy and both Big Mike and PJ said never, never, never, hook anything up to those posts. They are attached to your something or other main control module and if you hook up to it, you can short circuit that unit which is a multi thousand dollar repair. The newer coach's now have those posts hidden so no one will hook up to them. So I just use the chassis battery without the coach running and have been fine.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:20 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the 450 RV Viair for my 365/70 fronts that take 125 psi.
The rest take 85 psi.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:09 AM   #21
YC1

I like mine but sure would like to have more volume to blow dust and sand out of the compartments and steps of the rv. You get about 5 seconds.

I have room for a small pancake type compressor and may add one of those.

If you search you can find a small mount for the viair. I do not bolt mine in permanently but do keep it on the perch off the floor so it does not take up precious space.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Ackkk... That is not a good idea. At least based on what I was told. I used to do that too untill I went to the Spartan Academy and both Big Mike and PJ said never, never, never, hook anything up to those posts. They are attached to your something or other main control module and if you hook up to it, you can short circuit that unit which is a multi thousand dollar repair. The newer coach's now have those posts hidden so no one will hook up to them. So I just use the chassis battery without the coach running and have been fine.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that hooking up to those post are a risk. I will power my compressor from my chassis battery or tow vehicle battery going forward. Thanks for sharing.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #23

I considered them but opted for a 120V Porta Cable for about half the price. I didn't see the need / advantage of 12V as I always have 120V available on the MH. It might be different if I was an off road 4 wheeler.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

It gets tough to air up steer tires to 120 PSI but I have a multiple of options. I installed the Pressure Booster as mentioned in an early post. That will allow pressures to increase up to double if needed. That lets me use my coach air to easily fill the tires with minimal time. It also gives me oil and moisture free dry air because the coach's air dryer filters the air.

For those times when I don't want to run the coach I use a Viair 450 12 volt compressor. But I mounted it in the compartment rather than go with the alligator clips. It's controlled by a solenoid coil that I control from a dash mounted illuminated mini rocker switch. There is a pressure cutout switch so I can actually leave it on for hours if need be to ensure that my air tanks stay full when using the Hadley air leveling rather than the Equalizer jacks. I can also top off the tanks prior to departing in the morning without having to run the big diesel and wake up the neighbors. This setup also saves me the room of storing a larger pancake portable compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor-1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	328334  
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #25

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
It gets tough to air up steer tires to 120 PSI but I have a multiple of options. I installed the Pressure Booster as mentioned in an early post. That will allow pressures to increase up to double if needed. That lets me use my coach air to easily fill the tires with minimal time. It also gives me oil and moisture free dry air because the coach's air dryer filters the air.

For those times when I don't want to run the coach I use a Viair 450 12 volt compressor. But I mounted it in the compartment rather than go with the alligator clips. It's controlled by a solenoid coil that I control from a dash mounted illuminated mini rocker switch. There is a pressure cutout switch so I can actually leave it on for hours if need be to ensure that my air tanks stay full when using the Hadley air leveling rather than the Equalizer jacks. I can also top off the tanks prior to departing in the morning without having to run the big diesel and wake up the neighbors. This setup also saves me the room of storing a larger pancake portable compressor.

Very clean set up, good job.
AggrevatedRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post

Any chance you have a wiring diagram/schematic? Love your set up and never thought about doing this with our Viair.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I have a book full of wiring diagrams from all my mods.

The key is that I used a larger relay to allow the higher amperage to flow to the compressors while still retaining a smaller rocker switch. I also added aa smaller relay so that the pilot light on the mini-rocker switch would only light up when the ignition key was on. That way it wouldn't be on while parked but would be a reminder that it was still on and can be turned off once we hit the road.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Viair Air Compressor Wiring.pdf (13.8 KB, 29 views)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The 450P-RV has 100% duty cycle. The 400P-RV is 33%! The 450 is definitely the way to go!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor