Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #1

Vibration when on Water Pump

Recently we elected to fill and use the water tank due to low pressure here at Tiger Run.

Shortly afterward we started hearing a knocking sound from behind the Samsung fridge.

Access to the fridge water line is available from the basement. There is a rectangular sheet metal cover. Once removed, you can easily move the water line one way or the other until the noise disappears. When done, zip tie everything to prevent future movement.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Matt, good info. I believe your fridge is on a slide? For others reading this make sure not to overdo it with the zip ties, or secure the water line to something that doesn't move with the slide. Those water lines, wires and and other cables have some intentional slack so they can freely move in and out with the slide.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #3

Matt

I don’t understand why you’d be getting a knocking noise out of any water line. Do you mean that you think the water line was banging against some other object, the box, when you called for water to drink or to fill the ice cube tray or something else. None of those things should make a knocking noise. Confused.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, it is simple plumbing. Water lines are pressurized with fluid, turn a pump on and the noise travels through the lines. If they are against something or not secured they will make noise.
My new S&B in Denver did not have enough plumbing ties in the basement. When hot water was used those pipes rattle against the floor. Nailed in a few additional plumbing ties ended the problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #5

I must be lucky.... I’ve bought 5 or 6 houses in my lifetime and lived in my parents house for 18 or 19 years, and have never had water lines banging on anything. Never. Now, in my parents house built back in the 40s or 50s, if you turned the water faucets (maybe hot) off very quickly, you could get a single rattle in a water line, but that is it, and I never heard a bang or rattle or noise on any water line in my Anthem. I could hear the water pump start or stop, but that was it.

Gary
Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

Gary, our water system is pretty quiet until the fridge water line started rattling around. Then, when water was being used elsewhere, that line would constantly rattle against something.

-Matt
Old 07-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
A few of us have experienced water line noises and Matt was able to pass along a fix if someone else's water line was run to close to a solid object. It happens, some MH's have had to add pressure tanks to stop noise. Matt's post was a simple fix without have to run to a dealer.
Rattle or banging on residential HW lines is called hammering. Usually caused when the air is not bled properly when a water heater is changed, or a restriction in the line. There is a bleed valve on top of the aqua hot for servicing the boiler fluid to prevent fluid locks for basically the same reason.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I’ve bought 5 or 6 houses in my lifetime and lived in my parents house for 18 or 19 years, and have never had water lines banging on anything. Never.
Gary
Apples vs oranges. Your house has rigid water lines, your RV water lines are flexible.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I suspect the water line in question is the thin 1/4" poly ice maker feed. There is an extra bunch of it left loose behind the fridge so it can be pulled out for service. Typically t's not secured to anything (mine wasn't). If all that slack happens to be leaning up against something hard it will make noise as it moves around slightly from surges in the system.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #10

Matt provided the clarification I was asking for.

What was unusual to me is that most of the water lines in our coaches are either PEX, rubber, or plastic and therefore, not normally expected to make a clunking/banging noise of any sort and our pumps are not normally thought to increase and decrease pressure enough to cause hammering, so I was wondering if it was a valve or something mechanical rather than something like a "banging rubber or plastic line". Seemed unlikely.

Gary
Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Matt provided the clarification I was asking for.

What was unusual to me is that most of the water lines in our coaches are either PEX, rubber, or plastic and therefore, not normally expected to make a clunking/banging noise of any sort and our pumps are not normally thought to increase and decrease pressure enough to cause hammering, so I was wondering if it was a valve or something mechanical rather than something like a "banging rubber or plastic line". Seemed unlikely.

Gary
If I remember rightly Matt has an Aquajet ARV variable speed pump, a much different animal than the OEM pump.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Yes, that is correct. We have the ARV.

-Matt
Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #13

pump comming apart

just found why my water pump was making a lot of noise.
two screws came out and the pump started to split. removed the pump and tightened the screws. 2 of the screws are stripped. looks like its time to upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180710_093200165.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	210388  

Tags
vibration, water, water pump