RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cool Visible

Anybody else using Visible for their unlimited data plan ?? I just signed up a few days ago and it seems to be working pretty well for me...no data limits

2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #2

Are you using this for a hotspot/MiFi or for a cell phone?

Old 03-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
...no data limits
Are you SURE about that? Many have written that when you reach 22 or 25 MB limit it slows to 600K which is too slow for many tasks and definitely too slow for streaming.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Visible has no limits and does not throttle at 22GB's of data. Downside is only one connection to the hotspot and speed is limited to 5Mbps. If you hotspot or tether (I tethered to Pepwave router) you can have many more connections.

I just recently got it, so time will tell, but right now, I'm liking it.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 03-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There is a HUGE thread on Visible:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-m...ed-442091.html

The instructions for a simple setup are in post #10.

I have been using the setup recommended for about 9 months, the last two full-time. If you need 100% reliable high speed internet all the time, Visible is not for you. The data is truly unlimited on Verizonís LTE network, but you are on the bottom of the priority list.

If you run the recommended setup, MOST of the time you will get 5 Mbps through the tethered router which is plenty to stream Netflix, Roku, etc. HOWEVER, if you are in an area where the tower is overwhelmed with traffic, Visible is the first to be cut back. So you watch over the air instead and upload your photos to the cloud overnight during times of lesser congestion. We currently are at an RV park on the Florida panhandle and have great service. On the other hand, when we were at a bluegrass festival in the middle of nowhere, the tower nearby couldnít handle the demand, and Visible was down to way less than 1 Mbps. When at the big Tampa RV show, all cell data was terrible during the day, but visible service at night was fine after the crowds left.

We also have to restart the phone some times when some devices seem to have trouble with data, but it only takes a minute.

For us, itís great- my DW takes hundreds of photos and works on our blog and Visible meets our needs. Using Party Pay, itís only $25/month for truly unlimited data, but you had to be patient if you happen to be in a congested area. If you need 100% connectivity for work, then search docjís posts for systems that will automatically switch between carriers for the best service, but plan on spending lots on equipment and subscriptions.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:55 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Good post, photopilot. My takeaway from your post and others I have seen is as follows:

1. High speed not available where the tower is not a Verizon tower but is a “roaming” tower owned by some other provider.

2. High speed not assured when tower is stressed by high demand. This will especially affect those RVers who attend big rallies, sporting events, fairs, or travel to places where seasonal demand puts high stress on the celluar infrastructure.

These factors make streaming TV via Visible untenable for us. You mileage may vary, but my wife is not happy if she misses her favorite TV shows nor me if I miss a big game. since the places we go To often lack OTA reception, we are sticking with satellite for TV.

For uses other than TV watching, it sounds like a very good low cost solution.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Are you SURE about that? Many have written that when you reach 22 or 25 MB limit it slows to 600K which is too slow for many tasks and definitely too slow for streaming.

I have been streaming with the Visible since October 2019. We use a Motorola phone tethered to a router so we can connect multiple devices.

This is the only wifi we have in our house.

Our usage is 500 Gigs a month more or less and the speed stays at 5 mbs a second. This is fast enough to stream roku tv and surf with a laptop.

If I reboot the Router and Phone every week or so it seems to be more responsive.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Arti

How are you connecting your pepwave router to your phone? I have iPhone and a pepwave router yet have not figured out how to connect both
Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 AM   #9

Works well for me, pulled 16GB in a few days. Most of the time at about 5MB speed. I too am using a router for two computers.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
Arti

How are you connecting your pepwave router to your phone? I have iPhone and a pepwave router yet have not figured out how to connect both
Most routers have a repeater/extender function, look for that. It will scan looking for a connection to the hotspot you created on the phone. Then set up the wireless function on the router with a different name and password and look for that on your other devices.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #11

I acquired a Visible account about 6 months ago when I was struggling with the incompetent DirecTV people and trying to stream television instead. I set my account up with an older iPhone 8 I had stopped using. I now use that phone as a backup system to my iPhone 10. It is my always running Waze phone that I use anytime I am traveling, and I have used it to stream only partically successfully some TV before I finally gave up and converted to DISH.

Visible is wholly owned by Verizon. It is the same system as Verizon. It is supposed to be unthrottled and unlimited everything. The only limitation I know of is that you can only tether one other computer to it at a time through it as a hot spot, but as others have pointed out, you can connect it to a router and then attach other computers to the router. I have not used it as my main access to cell system. I also have a Verizon MIFI and an ATT Mobley in the coach and use whatever works best at the time and where I am. It is monthly, no contract, easy to start and stop... iTS been worth the $45-50 I pay for it.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I acquired a Visible account about 6 months ago when I was struggling with the incompetent DirecTV people and trying to stream television instead. I set my account up with an older iPhone 8 I had stopped using. I now use that phone as a backup system to my iPhone 10. It is my always running Waze phone that I use anytime I am traveling, and I have used it to stream only partically successfully some TV before I finally gave up and converted to DISH.

Visible is wholly owned by Verizon. It is the same system as Verizon. It is supposed to be unthrottled and unlimited everything. The only limitation I know of is that you can only tether one other computer to it at a time through it as a hot spot, but as others have pointed out, you can connect it to a router and then attach other computers to the router. I have not used it as my main access to cell system. I also have a Verizon MIFI and an ATT Mobley in the coach and use whatever works best at the time and where I am. It is monthly, no contract, easy to start and stop... iTS been worth the $45-50 I pay for it.

Gary
If you join a Party Pay group of four you can get the monthly fee down to $25 per month.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
Arti

My Pepwave router will not accept an iPhone via the USB plug in the back. So, using the iPhones tethered is not possible. You have use the iPhone in the hotspot mode.

I purchased a cheap Android Phone from Visible ($49) and that is permanently attached to the router via USB cable. So far, seems to be working well for me.

I also join a Party Pay group and got my monthly rate down to $25/month.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 03-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #14

I have been using Visible for a year now. Things have been getting better from the first day. Very good deal and good speeds and good cost. Doesn't beat my Mobley setup but its a great back up.