Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2022, 06:57 AM   #1

Vision coolant leak

Sharing this in case anyone else with a Vision cares to check for this potential condition. Short story - heater hose rubbed against trans dip stick tube and sprung a leak. My heroes at Sanderson Ford in Phoenix got us back on the road. Long story....

On first trip of the year I started smelling coolant at our gas-up stops. We were doing about 400 miles a day so I didn't think too much of a hot engine giving off some smell. The temp gauge was rock solid and there was no indication of coolant leaking under the rig.

It seemed a bit worse over the next couple of days so I finally (doh!) checked the coolant level and found the tank to be EMPTY! Oh s)%t. Took the jeep into Tucson to buy 2 gallons of "yellow" from a Ford dealer. Bought a cheap fluid pump ($10) to get it from the container UP into the tank.

Drove 175 miles to our next camp, north of Phoenix. Checked the tank...EMPTY! Still no fluid on the ground, no coolant in the oil, temp gauge rock solid. Called Sanderson Ford and they said I could bring it in but no promises other than taking a look at it. Called a couple other Ford truck dealers and got the "we are booked 3 weeks out for RV service". This was a Tuesday and we had a Friday departure.

I drove the jeep into town Wednesday morning to buy more yellow coolant. Filled the tank and drove 30 miles to Sanderson. (yep...tank empty) Booked a 2-star hotel room for $330/night (spring training!!). Starting praying that Sanderson would troubleshoot on Thursday and find a simple leak to repair.

Thursday early afternoon got the call that the Entegra folks installed the heater hose in a way that put it in contact with the transmission dip stick tube. Rubbed a hole in the side of the hose. Likely lost most coolant on those 4500RPM trips up the "hills". Nearly no leaking while idle.

This could have been a lot worse. The Ford service guy said that where Ford put the temp sensor might not have indicated a problem until it was too late. The leak must have developed slowly and I found it in time to add enough coolant to keep the engine temp happy. Sanderson Ford was willing to squeeze me in while having to explain to a non-emergency customer that their repair would take an extra day. Not many would do that. We were back on schedule thanks to their willingness to help.
Visionquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
leak, vision