Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Visiting Yosemite: Tunnel Question??

Trying to Visit Yosemite Park, How get there? Are there tunnel height problems?
Thank you , for helping.
GoneWithTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #2

According to your profile you have a 43’ DEQ.

While the maps may show entrances from the east, those aren’t suitable for any RV of significance, like your DEQ.

While you can certainly fit through the tunnels if you remain in the middle lanes, my question would be why?

The reason I ask this is because entering the park proper will lead you to the valley floor. The only campgrounds in the valley are severely limited in length and height capacity. IIRC, only one of the parks has sites available for 35’. I cruised those sites and think 35’ is optimistic.

We used to camp in the valley with a 24’ bumper pull and it was sketchy at times.

In short, there is nothing suitable for your length, and very little room to maneuver. If I were to take our coach into the valley, I would fully expect damage as a result.

Keep in mind I’m quite adventurous and have taken our 45’ coach down some pretty tight horse trails. YNP isn’t even something I’d consider.

What I’d suggest is locating a good CG just outside the park on Highway 41 in Oakhurst or Highway 120 in Groveland. Then, park in stress free FHU comfort and drive into the park. If you simply need to spend the night in the valley, make other arrangements as there are multiple options.

Have a good trip and enjoy the sights.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The CA DOT has a highway map just for RV's. 45' Bus & Motorhome Map Oregon has a similar one. ALWAYS check them out when traveling out west. Have fun.
kwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
ZERO sites in the Valley campgrounds will fit a 43' rig. There are only 12 sites for 40' rigs and the reservations go within minutes of opening up.

I had my 40' Winn Tour there a few times when my son was working at the hotel and it was always a tight squeeze getting around the campground loop in Upper Pines.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoods View Post
The CA DOT has a highway map just for RV's. 45' Bus & Motorhome Map Oregon has a similar one. ALWAYS check them out when traveling out west. Have fun.

Thanks, this is a great resource. Would be nice to see a list of all states that have this kind of map. Many eastern states could use it.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
According to your profile you have a 43’ DEQ.

While the maps may show entrances from the east, those aren’t suitable for any RV of significance, like your DEQ.

While you can certainly fit through the tunnels if you remain in the middle lanes, my question would be why?

The reason I ask this is because entering the park proper will lead you to the valley floor. The only campgrounds in the valley are severely limited in length and height capacity. IIRC, only one of the parks has sites available for 35’. I cruised those sites and think 35’ is optimistic.

We used to camp in the valley with a 24’ bumper pull and it was sketchy at times.

In short, there is nothing suitable for your length, and very little room to maneuver. If I were to take our coach into the valley, I would fully expect damage as a result.

Keep in mind I’m quite adventurous and have taken our 45’ coach down some pretty tight horse trails. YNP isn’t even something I’d consider.

What I’d suggest is locating a good CG just outside the park on Highway 41 in Oakhurst or Highway 120 in Groveland. Then, park in stress free FHU comfort and drive into the park. If you simply need to spend the night in the valley, make other arrangements as there are multiple options.

Have a good trip and enjoy the sights.

-Matt
Matt D -
Great advice. We are planning Oakhurst or Groveland to base out of for Yosemite. My question to you is regarding when we departing to head East towards Salt Lake City. The most direct route Caltrans map appears to approve motorhomes taking Rt 88 to 395 via Carson City to get to I-80 thus avoiding going to Sacramento in order to catch I-80.

Have you driven that? What do you think/suggest?

Thank you,

McGarrett
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
Matt D -
Great advice. We are planning Oakhurst or Groveland to base out of for Yosemite. My question to you is regarding when we departing to head East towards Salt Lake City. The most direct route Caltrans map appears to approve motorhomes taking Rt 88 to 395 via Carson City to get to I-80 thus avoiding going to Sacramento in order to catch I-80.

Have you driven that? What do you think/suggest?

Thank you,

McGarrett
Highway 88 is a very good 2 lane highway in good weather. If you are thinking about traveling the Sierra Nevada’s this winter, you might want to reconsider or pay very close attention to the weather. If you are traveling this winter, I would use Interstate 80 heading east out of Sacramento. It is a major interstate with good snow removal. In any event, winter travel through the mountains can be a challenge.
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #8

Thanks Guernsey. This is planning for next summer
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote