Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 07:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
There is no such thing as cheap DEF. It is 32.5% urea and 67.5 % de-ionized water. There is no way to make cheap DEF that I am aware of. If it tests 32.5% on the refractometer, what can be cheap about it if meets the government standards?
so what is the new expensive premium def from the maker of the blue def? regular blue def is around $12 for a box. their new premium def is around $18 for a box. (box - 2 1/2 gal). and walmart def is around $7. yet is is all the same stuff?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #30

I have seen Costco with Blue Def for under 10 bucks in certain areas.
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
so what is the new expensive premium def from the maker of the blue def? regular blue def is around $12 for a box. their new premium def is around $18 for a box. (box - 2 1/2 gal). and walmart def is around $7. yet is is all the same stuff?
The difference is your wallet is lighter for the same governments standard DEF. It is one of those "Buy Me" labels and people buy it with no documentation that it can do any thing better then standard DEF.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Can someone explain the date code on Walmart DEF? I hope this picture is the code. Obviously it looks like it is 2021.

Thanks,
Attachment 338014

I am going to take a guess as July 14, 2021 194 days into 2021
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #33

Quote:
The difference is your wallet is lighter for the same governments standard DEF. It is one of those "Buy Me" labels and people buy it with no documentation that it can do any thing better then standard DEF.
Chuck, I agree. I saw a video a few days ago where they did some test on the “premium” def and the regular. The regular faired better than the premium. One of the test they heated both in a pan. Both obviously turned to crystals, but the premium was like a rock and couldn’t even scrape it. Then they poured some new def in each one. The crystals in the regular completely dissolve back into def, but the crystals in the premium did not completely dissolve no matter how much they agitated it.
All has to meet iso standard 22244, but I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for the “premium”.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #34

Quote:

My daughter had gone to a seminar that the speaker worked for a super market chain in Texas. He said that they make a higher profit on items they put the word "organic" on.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
Chuck, I agree. I saw a video a few days ago where they did some test on the “premium” def and the regular. The regular faired better than the premium. One of the test they heated both in a pan. Both obviously turned to crystals, but the premium was like a rock and couldn’t even scrape it. Then they poured some new def in each one. The crystals in the regular completely dissolve back into def, but the crystals in the premium did not completely dissolve no matter how much they agitated it.
All has to meet iso standard 22244, but I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for the “premium”.
I saw that same video and thought immediately "Buy Me" label. It was surprising how the crystals formed on the Premium DEF from short term evaporation, where the standard did not.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
My daughter had gone to a seminar that the speaker worked for a super market chain in Texas. He said that they make a higher profit on items they put the word "organic" on.
Without a doubt. Let it be known, many of the products come out of the same field, then the "Buy Me" label gets added.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
I am going to take a guess as July 14, 2021 194 days into 2021
I thought that but would doubt it could get from production to the shelf in Walmart that quickly.
WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Which makes the Walmart jug at $6.98 for 2.5 gallons cheaper than the pump in NY and barely more than the pump price in WY.
Yeah, but if you had to get 10 gallons of DEF (rarely do I need more than 4 -6 gallons to top off), that would only cost a whopping $5.10 more in NY at the pump, compared to the Walmart price. Totally worth the $5 extra to drive up to a pump, pump it, and be gone in 5 minutes rather than have to tote the jugs, have some type of pump to transfer the fluid from the jug to the tank, etc.

We have a truck stop within 5 minutes of our house and when we are leaving on a long trip and need DEF, we just pull in, top it off, and off we go in no time.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
It's a scam. I was in a Walmart this year and all DEF except the platinum at $20 a box (with tax) was sold out. I passed and found some regular DEF further down the road.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Others being better than Walmart on DEF

Quote:
At least someone is being nice to use with all of the DEF problems. Walmart just dropped the price the of their brand of DEF to $6.98 per 2.5 gallons Plenty in Stock in FL stores

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...allon/44457724

In the local Home Depot a week ago and they had a several pallets of 2 1/2 Gallon DEF in sealed boxes. No tampering with these things like Walmart! I generally carry two Blue 5 Gallon plastic jugs and fill them at Truck Stops from their pump and only buy 2 1/2 gallon cans when in real need! I didn't pay much attention to the HD display but turned around and looked closer and HD was selling sealed 2 1/2 gallon DEF for $4.95 per gallon (less 10% Veteran discount) for a net of $4.45. So I bought 15 gallons! This is what they should be selling this stuff for rather than 3.00 per gallon at the pumps!
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #41

When I was still turning wrenches at a GMC truck dealer we were instructed in 2011 that DEF once opened could not be stored and NEVER to use out of a bulk container. Degraded qualify issues were to blame for most of the DEF system failures I saw before retirement
Old 08-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #42

Used their brand for 4 years. Had a DEF head failure in June. Switched to Blue DEF. Don't know why it failed but I decided to use the more expensive brand even though they both meet the same specifications????? Maybe it's just a psychological thing!!??? Anyway, the new DEF head is working fine for the last couple months. Hopefully it will continue. However, I will order a spare DEF head and a spare water pump (mine failed at 30K miles). Spartan Chassis.
mareca12 is offline   Reply With Quote