RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #1

Angry WARNING Chassis Batteries

I only own my new coach since March and had trouble with the chassis batteries since delivery. I had the dealer check and clean them three times. The batteries flat out died yesterday even though it's plugged in and charging. I call Spartan today and they said that the warranty starts when they built the chassis and it's been over a year so no replacement. So I have to replace the batteries on coach i only have six months. 2019 Anthem new leftover
Ray Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #2

shore power may not be wired to charge the chassis batteries, only the house batteries
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:30 AM   #3

Have you brought it in to see why the batteries are going down ?

Even bad batteries should stay up if plugged into shore power.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #4

If you are plugged in you must be at 13.2 or above to charge the chassis batteries. I live in AZ so the heat will bring my charge down to 13.1 at times. When it gets cold here it will go to 13.4. To combat the 13.1, I hooked up a tender to the chassis batteries and this solved the problem. Might be something you consider.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:45 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Ray, my batteries were bad from the factory. Three weeks at 33 below zero sitting on the ready lot waiting for weather to clear so it could be delivered. The batteries were toast from not being plugged in .
Your coach has gone through much worse, 2 years on a dealers lot. How many times have those batteries gone completely dead? I would be taking to the dealer, if not Entegra and let them put pressure on the dealer. You have 2 year warranty from the date of purchase. Your coach was probably delivered with expired batteries from abuse at the dealer.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Huffman View Post
I only own my new coach since March and had trouble with the chassis batteries since delivery. I had the dealer check and clean them three times. The batteries flat out died yesterday even though it's plugged in and charging. I call Spartan today and they said that the warranty starts when they built the chassis and it's been over a year so no replacement. So I have to replace the batteries on coach i only have six months. 2019 Anthem new leftover
Hello Ray, the person at Spartan you talked to does not know his job and gave you bad information...........

Quote: The original limited warranty is in effect for a period of 36 months from the first retail owner’s date of purchase, regardless of subsequent
ownership, or until an odometer reading of 50,000 actual miles (or 80,467 actual kilometers), whichever occurs first. Certain engine
emission components, installed by Spartan and not covered under the engine manufacturer warranty, have a warranty term of 5 years or
100,000 miles (or 162,000 actual kilometers), whichever comes first
Old 09-26-2020, 04:58 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I would expect the "house" batteries to be shot if on a dealer lot a few years as well. How are they holding up?
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:11 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Speaking of house batteries, my 21 was delivered with a house battery gassing and corroding the metal tie down bar. That battery was changed at NIRVC during the delivery. That battery in a brand new delivery was a problem getting ready to happen.
My coach also sat built, but not finished during the 3 month pandemic shutdown.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #9

Ray:

The batteries new in our coaches when they come from the factory are not top of the line batteries, but Asian made middle of the line batteries. By definition, they are not the best. But even given that, engine and house batteries should last a good deal longer than 2 years. Now, you have to factor in the dealer who you bought the coach from. There are some notorious dealers which are notorious because of how they treat their old and new coaches. I am familiar with a California dealer that just doesnt worry about batteries on their coaches.... they dont keep them plugged in all the time, they have show coaches that they worry about battery state when the batteries get so low that they wont start anything and then they only charge them so that they are minimally charged and they are dead again by the next day. Other dealers have the coach plugged in all the time and the sales people and dealers are very observant about battery state and their coaches are excellent. If your coach is a new, old stock, then you should probably expect that your batteries have been abused over their life time.

Now, no dealer should get away with selling a new coach with batteries that dont work for the new owner. Unless you had a clause in your purchase agreement that said in type that should have been the size of (WORLD WAR II ENDS) on the front page of t he New York Times.... that "You are buying this new, old stock coach AS IS, and bear all responsibility for its current state........", then the dealer still has responsibility to sell you coach with some minimum level of performance.

You need to get on the phone, or better, be there in person, and start talking with your salesman and tell them you need them to provide two good new chassis batteries at their complete expense. I would not do that until I was pretty convinced that the house batteries are in excellent shape. And if the salesman does not immediately apologize for the batteries terrible shape, then speak to the dealership manager and see if he/she takes care of the problem, and if that doesnt do the trick, then find out who owns the dealership and talk to the dealership owner, and if that doesnt work, then come back to this forum and inform all of us who you talked to, and what you were told, and what deal you have come up with so that all of us know how you are being treated by your dealer so that we can factor all of that reputation when it is time to deal with a new purchase, or advise someone else on where they should buy.

A reasonable dealer should be happy to thoroughly check your batteries of their just sold coach and if they are toast, to gleefully give you a functioning set of batteries, all just to prevent you from telling all of us how you have been treated by that specific dealer. A few hundred bucks for two new batteries is something that any dealer should be willing to absorb.

I hear the words RV Country in the back of my mind......

Oh, and you could have a bad BIM relay which should put charge to your chassis batteries if their voltage falls below 12.7 volts I think it is (757Driver will come in here and tell you exactly how it works). If the BIM is bad, then your batteries will not recharge even if plugged in....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Been there done that (posted on this issue about 18 mos. ago :-))
I get why Spartan won't warranty the start batteries longer than the 12 mos. from when the chassis left their factory. They do not control how long the chassis sits in the factory yard before production beigins (with out any charge capabilities), nor how long it sits in a dealers lot getting no charge and most likely only short run times if any, once past delivery to the dealer.

I had slow, draggy, starting since new, then started getting hinky error codes from the transmission diagnostics on startup, about 12 mos. into ownership. Turns out the crappy draggy batteries were dropping below the transmission's low voltage fault threshold during start and causing the tranny control module to throw codes and jerk/bang about for a bit, until the engine started and the alternator was able to get enough juice flowing to get the buss voltage up past the fault threshold.

Once i figured all this out with help from Spartan, and learned about the short warranty life specifically on the chassis battereis, I went and purchased two heavier duty truck batteries from Napa. Upsized from the marginal 950 CCA rated factory batteries to two 1100 CCA capacity batteries. Viola! No more issues! The engine spins up quite nicely now, starts better/faster, and transmission is now a happy camper.

I would recommend to all new coach buyers to change out your chassis batteries as soon as you can after purchase, and upsize the battery capacity to a true truck battery. At least soon after the Spartan warranty expires on them, if you can figure out when that is. Spartan should be able to tell you in advance of expiration date if you call and give them your VIN No,

Spartan also informed me the batteries are spec'd by coach builder OEM, and they always specify the bare minimum size they think they can squeak by with!

FWIW the batteries cost me about $450 total with core's returned, did the swap by myself in about an hour!
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
A battery that sits for months on end without being charged will suffer sulfation and permanent damage. This is not uncommon on new coaches that sit in factory yards or dealers lots for an extended time. On the OP's brand new 2019 Anthem, it is not at all surprising.

On the other hand, batteries that are continuously kept at a proper charge level have a much longer life. The original chassis batteries on my 2013 Anthem are still strong after 8 years. I believe this is because they are alwayson charge except for occasional short dry-camping events of a few days each.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #12

We had the same battery problems on our Winnebago Outlook.
We bought the RV new, but had been sitting on dealers lot for over a year.
The coach batteries died on our first trip, they were replaced by Interstate batteries, no charge. We were more than a 1000 miles from home and selling dealer.
The Ford battery failed later that year. Ford dealer replaced it No Charge. The vehicle warranty (including) battery begins the day the unit is sold to the first retail customer, not when the chassis (cutaway) is made, not when manufactured or sold to vehicle modifier (Winnebago) or shipped to dealer.
FWIW, I only got 13 years of service out of the Ford replacement battery, but I do have a trickle charger always plugged in.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post
Been there done that (posted on this issue about 18 mos. ago :-))
I get why Spartan won't warranty the start batteries longer than the 12 mos. from when the chassis left their factory. They do not control how long the chassis sits in the factory yard before production beigins (with out any charge capabilities), nor how long it sits in a dealers lot getting no charge and most likely only short run times if any, once past delivery to the dealer.

I had slow, draggy, starting since new, then started getting hinky error codes from the transmission diagnostics on startup, about 12 mos. into ownership. Turns out the crappy draggy batteries were dropping below the transmission's low voltage fault threshold during start and causing the tranny control module to throw codes and jerk/bang about for a bit, until the engine started and the alternator was able to get enough juice flowing to get the buss voltage up past the fault threshold.

Once i figured all this out with help from Spartan, and learned about the short warranty life specifically on the chassis battereis, I went and purchased two heavier duty truck batteries from Napa. Upsized from the marginal 950 CCA rated factory batteries to two 1100 CCA capacity batteries. Viola! No more issues! The engine spins up quite nicely now, starts better/faster, and transmission is now a happy camper.

I would recommend to all new coach buyers to change out your chassis batteries as soon as you can after purchase, and upsize the battery capacity to a true truck battery. At least soon after the Spartan warranty expires on them, if you can figure out when that is. Spartan should be able to tell you in advance of expiration date if you call and give them your VIN No,

Spartan also informed me the batteries are spec'd by coach builder OEM, and they always specify the bare minimum size they think they can squeak by with!

FWIW the batteries cost me about $450 total with core's returned, did the swap by myself in about an hour!
Ernie, I did something very similar:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/upg...ne-394419.html
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Ernie, I did something very similar:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/upg...ne-394419.html
Larry,
I just read your upgrade post. In the picture of the batteries I see a small fused cable on the positive of one battery and the negative of the other. I assume that is your maintainer/charger. Does it make a difference if you connect like that or to just one battery, since they are wired in parallel?

Later ...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis