Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #15

Microfiber is your friend. I prefer to dry things by hand and the waffle weave towels do the trick. Just my two cents.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISCKY View Post
Dryer sheets to remove bugs???
It works. Yep!
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #17

As someone who is pretty anal about paint, I would totally stay away from dryer sheets on the front of your coach to minimize scratching. While this might be ok for the glass, but the paint has a clear protective film applied that is very sensitive. My advice is to keep a coat of wax on this at all times to keep the bugs from adhering. To keep the film clear and remove scratches, I use Plexis, then follow up with a wax top coat. Also, the longer you let something sit on the paint the worse they are to remove, so a bit of quick detailer to get the bugs off before they harden at each campsite.

On the glass a bit of rainx helps the stickage as well......Remember, microfiber is your friend

Also don't forget to protect the top of your coach above the windshield if you have an Anthem or Cornerstone. That panel is huge.
MSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Careful, micro-fiber is not your friend. Copied from an article written by Mary Moppins.

Imitation pads are made from 100% polyester, which is plastic. Plastic imitations will scratch the finish—but the scratches are so minute that they are barely noticeable at first. Eventually, continued scratching will remove the clear coat from the surface of your coach, vehicle, boat, floor, cabinets, and furniture. For this same reason avoid microfiber products to wash or dry your RV, car, boat, airplane, motorcycle, vehicle, furniture or cabinets. Microfiber is made from 80% polyester. Likewise avoid washing with brushes. Even though you may not see brush marks now, the damage will happen as the bris-tles wear down. One washing and your coach is fine but the next washing leaves it covered with scratches. Use lambswool wash pads to avoid these issues. Use only 100% cotton towels to dry your vehicle. Be cautious of terry towels made in Taiwan or China. They are not checked for fiber content as they enter the States and usually contain up to 30% polyester.

Don
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #19

Believe what you want........
MSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, I will.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Let's see...
1) Don't wash with high pressure sprayers
2) Don't wash with Brushes
3) Don't wash with microfiber
4) Don't use this soap, don't use that soap
5) Don't dry with microfiber
6) Don't dry with towels
7) Don't dry with...

Oh...don't leave the bugs on, don't take the bugs off with any of the above or with dryer sheets.

Can't clean it; can't leave it dirty...probably can't trust professional detailers who you'll never see again. Diamond Shield remedies haven't even been addressed.

Guess I should have RV'd using hotels and a four wheeler
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was waiting for someone to break out some every day common sense here about using/enjoying your MH without the guilt trip.
I wash my Insignia with a soft brush and good soap every month. I have done this for 2 years it looks like new, and if it has micro scratches on it's surface that's just the way it goes.
I have restored classic cars all my life, worrying about every little ding or scratch treating them as garage queens.....but no more. That big beautiful brick in my driveway is here for me to enjoy and I am not about to become a slave to it beyond good reasonable PM services.
If Sikkens paint is as good as claim they will back me in my approach (notwithstanding news articles to the contrary)...if not I don't really care my cataract surgery will mask the rest.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72driver View Post
Careful, micro-fiber is not your friend. Copied from an article written by Mary Moppins.

Imitation pads are made from 100% polyester, which is plastic. Plastic imitations will scratch the finish—but the scratches are so minute that they are barely noticeable at first. Eventually, continued scratching will remove the clear coat from the surface of your coach, vehicle, boat, floor, cabinets, and furniture. For this same reason avoid microfiber products to wash or dry your RV, car, boat, airplane, motorcycle, vehicle, furniture or cabinets. Microfiber is made from 80% polyester. Likewise avoid washing with brushes. Even though you may not see brush marks now, the damage will happen as the bris-tles wear down. One washing and your coach is fine but the next washing leaves it covered with scratches. Use lambswool wash pads to avoid these issues. Use only 100% cotton towels to dry your vehicle. Be cautious of terry towels made in Taiwan or China. They are not checked for fiber content as they enter the States and usually contain up to 30% polyester.

Don
I'm going to counter point that with something else. Technically what is stated above is correct but...Good quality microfiber WILL NOT SCRATCH YOUR PAINT. And here is why: (Quoted from Autopia Car Care)

The market for microfiber towel products, especially automotive towels, is fierce. With the demand for microfiber increasing in both retail and professional channels, dozens of small factories in Korea and China have sprung up, seemingly over night, to compete solely on cost. These factories are flooding the American market with low-cost, inferior products.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Most inexpensive towels use microfiber thread that is not split. Quality microfiber towels absorb 7-8 times their weight in water because the fibers are split, creating more surface area. The cheap towels are not split because the equipment necessary to produce micro-replication splitting is very expensive.

2. The Microfiber threads on cheap towels are larger. Quality microfiber strands are .01 to .02 denier. That’s about the same as the polyester thread used in bath towels for increased durability. The finer the thread, the softer the towel, generally. Cobra Microfiber Towels have threads 100 times smaller than a human hair!

3. Some of the inexpensive towels may also be 100% polyester or have low polyamide content. As a result, the towels will have little absorbency capability. Look for a 70/30, 75/25, or 80/20 blend, like Cobra Microfiber Towels.

Before you buy a bundle of microfiber towels at a ‘bargain” price, look, feel and read the label.

Some inexpensive microfiber detailing towels are thin and have a short nap. These cloths are ok for utility towels but not for buffing paint.

THE IMPORTANCE OF QUALITY MICROFIBER TOWELS IN CAR CARE

When comparing quality microfiber towels, here’s what you need to know to make an intelligent buying decision:

1. Towel density is important. Density is a measure of fibers per square inch of fabric. The range for quality microfiber is 90,000 to 225,000 fibers per square inch. Generally speaking, the higher the fiber count the better the towel will absorb water and clean.

2. The ratio of the polyester and polyamide blend is important. While 80% polyester and 20% polyamide is great for detailing, a 70/30 blend will absorb water faster. As polyamide is much more expensive than polyester, you can expect to pay more for a 70/30 blend.

3. Make sure you look at the weave and fabric thickness (plushness) of the towel. Depending on the specific task the cloth is designed to perform, the fiber ends may be hooked (for cleaning), feathered (for polishing and glass cleaning), or tufted (for drying).

4. We all know the saying; it costs more to make quality. Microfiber is no different. Quality construction is not always obvious, so let me share some observations. The biggest complaint with automotive microfiber is that towels with cheap edging scratch your paint. There are two possible reasons. First, the factory uses a hot wire system to cut their towels. If not properly adjusted, or if a cheap machine is used, the hot wire will melt the fabric. When polyester and nylon melt, they turn into hard plastic. The second complaint is that the towel creates excessive lint. Microfiber lint is caused by towels with a high pile or a broad weave using a fiber split that’s inappropriate. The high pile or loose weave allow the fibers to break off, creating lint. The same split fiber used in a towel with a higher fabric density will lint less or not at all. Don’t assume that a towel that does not lint is a high quality towel. The cheapest towels don’t lint because they do not have split fibers. Trust Cobra to for soft, plush, lint-free detailing and buffing towels.

So believe what you want about terry cloth but I'm sticking to microfiber as I have for the last 10 years.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
Microfiber is your friend. I prefer to dry things by hand and the waffle weave towels do the trick. Just my two cents.
Excellent article Ray thanks for the info. So I guess the correct statement would be SOME microfiber is your friend.

Don
Old 02-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #25

So... Can I use the armcovers from my micro-fiber recliner? Or not?

Just kidding... You are spot on about the different qualities. I have been to China and seen it first hand, good and bad.
Be as choosy with what you clean/ dry with as you were when you bought your coach.

Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #26

I wasn't trying to start any type of urinating contest. I know there is a ton of info on the internet that can be confusing. Don is correct in that some microfiber is absolute junk. I won't deny that one bit. But there are some excellent quality microfiber towels out there that will do the trick for most instances. If you are going to buy them, buy from a reputable source. I've listed some websites prior that have some of the best towels money can buy. I will swear by their quality. If someone would like that list I'll be more than happy to post it again. The other thing I would say is, if you have a system that you are happy with, run with it. No 2 people do things the same way and no system is better than another if it works for you. I just try to help people along the way with informed decisions on things they would like to try. Whatever you do, just be happy with it.

Now if you're going to dry your coach with your armchair covers, come on over after you're done and I'll help get out the fresh swirl marks. Just bring some cold ones.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #27

Too funny... Good one!!

Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
If want to see world class swirls, turn your coach over to Precision Paint for a clean up & wax!
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote