Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Washer Drain Filter Cleaning

Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the road, there is another task to be added to the maintenance routine. This task has bounced around before, but I though it would be a good idea to revisit.

Your front-loading washer has a highly flexible ring seal that holds tightly against the internal rotating drum. What you may not realize is that flat objects coins, buttons, credit cards (yep, our washer ate 3 of my cc’s), etc. can slip past that seal into the inner drum and to the washer’s drain pump. There is a strainer to trap these objects to prevent damage to the drain pump.

From time to time you need to check and clear the filter (strainer). It has taken several times for me to completely clear the remnants of my credit cards along with a collection of coins.

Gain access to the front bottom of the washer. Different models have different arrangements cabinet facing that needs to be removed. In our case, there are 4 screws to remove the cabinet face and another 3 screws to remove a plastic brace to keep the washer is place.

Remove the panel at the bottom of the washer. It hinges at the bottom, so a minimal prying is required at the top of the panel. You will find a service manual inside the panel. Be sure to keep this as it is specific instructions for the model of washer.

You will find the drain filter (strainer) on the right side. Stuff a towel under the washer and rotate the filter knob counterclockwise slowly as residual water will drain as the filter is opened.

A few full rotations counterclockwise are all that is required to loosen and remove the filter. It will pull out easy unless, in my case, there are credit card remnants. That took a bit more effort. Otherwise pull out the filter an reap the rewards of the collection of coins.

Carefully remove and clean the rubber washer, apply a light coating of silicon grease, and after cleaning the filter, replace the washer.

Clean the pump inside where the seal rest against and reinstall the filter.

You are now ready to collect new coins in you washer. Probably would be better to check the pockets, but at least you know the pump is protected against your forgetfulness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer 01.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	253598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer 02.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	253599  

Name:	Washer 03.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	253600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer 04.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	253601  

Name:	Washer 05.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	253602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer 06.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	253603  

Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
For G?!s sake Tom, quit washing your credit cards. Jodie has enough to do keeping you clean
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #3

I have a suggestion that will result in a great reduction in repair time.... Either you or your better half could put your hand down in each pocket of your shorts and pants and check for credit cards and coins and other junk before putting the clothes in the wash...... You would be amazed at how much time that could save you. You've probably never thought of it, but give that a try. We accidentally stumbled onto that solution 50 or 55 years ago and it has worked remarkably well....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up and detailed pictures Tom. Although we all think we can check those pockets 100% of the time, as we get older senior moments kick in. Nice to know there is a 'fix' for that
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I have a suggestion that will result in a great reduction in repair time.... Either you or your better half could put your hand down in each pocket of your shorts and pants and check for credit cards and coins and other junk before putting the clothes in the wash...... You would be amazed at how much time that could save you. You've probably never thought of it, but give that a try. We accidentally stumbled onto that solution 50 or 55 years ago and it has worked remarkably well....

Gary
Great suggestion's … maybe wash coin's and cc cards buy hand ? or maybe dish washer? …
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for the heads up and detailed instructions.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK folks, play nice. I’ll have you know I have a perfect memory. Absolutely rock solid forgetting absolutely nothing. That is for at least the first 3 to 5 seconds and from there things gets a little iffy. I guess that is how the wallet turned up in the washer and the mystery of where did the 3 of the credit cards go. From there learning of the drain filter and discovery of the coin collection as well as fragments of the missing credit cards.

Yep, more careful checking pockets, but finding more coins on the second cleaning meant either there were still coins in the drum or memory checking pockets didn’t work so well.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:03 AM   #8

Somebody needs to teach Kelly to check her back pockets for her debit card. I think I find it cleaning out the washer more times than she does taking her pants off.