Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #29

Lets keep in mind that the problem could be more than just the plastic, particularly in summer and warm southern climates. A friend showed me a trick I won't soon forget. He picked up the garden type nozzle, squeezed the handle to allow a stream of water to flow, and then stomped on the hose with his heel. The water ran green for one to two seconds. He stomped on other sections of the hose and each time the same result. Distinctly green water came out. This was not some old garden hose that had been lying around for years. This was my one year old drinking water hose connected to a city supply. I had assumed that the chlorinated city water would have prevented this growth in the hose, but it was clearly an invalid assumption.

Since then, I make a habit of disinfecting the hose regularly. I do this by bypassing the tank, disconnecting the hose at the supply, letting some water run out of the hose, adding a couple of ounces of Clorox bleach, and reconnecting to the supply. With the supply turned on, I go to a kitchen or bathroom faucet and run one cup full (about 16 ounces [Texas cup]) of cold water, then wait a few minutes. Empty the cup and repeat. This steps the bleach through the hose, giving it time to disinfect. A perfect activity during commercials while watching television. Repeat until the smell of bleach comes out of the faucet. Then run the faucet at full volume for a few minutes to clear the residue.

NOTE: If you have a carbon filter and/or R/O filter, you must bypass or remove them to avoid running the chlorine through them.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
OP

Treated with baking soda and sanitized w/chlorine. Plastic taste remains!
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post

I replaced the hose on my reel with the blue one from WM. It seems fine so far.
I ordered the blue Camco Premium hose from Amazon (same hose as WalMart). It cost 50% more than the white. What a difference! Initial slight new rubber smell lasted a few minutes when new, then nothing. After full hose lay in Florida sun for one week, I turned on the faucet. If I bent down to the sink, I could detect a rubber smell. This completely disappeared in one minute of flow through the 50' hose. With the previous white WalMart hose I had to step out of the bathroom for the initial two minutes because the plastic smell was so intense, and never really went away.

Added features are the strain reliefs and the ability to use a wrench at either end.

Thanks for the recommendation, C-P.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #32

IRV2 has turned into a whine fest. Grow up ,my hose stinks, give mea break , should any one read this forum anymore?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwater4 View Post
IRV2 has turned into a whine fest. Grow up ,my hose stinks, give mea break , should any one read this forum anymore?
If you have not used one of these hoses you just don't know. I washed my hands while we were hooked to that hose and they smelled for four hours. I got the new blue hose at Walmart today.

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwater4 View Post
Please explain your opinion that iRV2 has turned into a "whine Fest". Can't say much for ALL the different sub-forums within iRV2 but seems to me this is a great place to share ideas and learn about our coaches and the RVing lifestyle. IRV2 might not be for everyone and no one is twisting your arm to hang around.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Blue hose

Can you guys share the SKU or model number of that blue Camco hose to replace the stinky hose reel? Especially if you know the Walmart SKU number. Is it the 1/2 or 5/8 inch? 25 foot or 50 foot? I saw them on Amazon but it'd be easier to get at Wally World.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #36

not sure he replaced the hose from the reel on an entegra? Pat, were you able to replace your hose? Did it solve the problem? I have the same issue,,,cant make anything without it tasting like plastic.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Use Any 1/2" Camco or Valterra white hose and you will lose the smell. Pull the factory hose all the way out. There are 2 sheet metal screws and then a hose clamp to remove to get the old hose off. The hose is on a push-on barb fitting so make sure you tighten the clamp on the new hose, turn-on the water and check for leaks before you spool the hose up. The factory hose has about 35 feet on the reel, so either buy a 50' 1/2" hose and cut 15' off or put a 25' on that will be about 10' less than you had. It's your choice.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Well, I'm at the factory now....

It's on my list. Will let you know.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
I guess the DW and I must have the most insensitive noses and tastebuds around when it comes to this issue. I don't sense any smell to the water, and drink brewed tea that the only time I've sensed an off taste was one load of water in the tank, dry camping, that was awfully hard tasting.

DW drinks bottled water but suggests she doesn't sense any smell when brushing her teeth.

So I guess I'm at a loss on this one. Maybe it is because we had the worst water in the country in our former S&B in Omaha NE. Guess it pays to have no sense of smell or taste

Maybe someone can give me a check and tell me if I have stinky water at HG in a couple of weeks
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Can you guys share the SKU or model number of that blue Camco hose to replace the stinky hose reel? Especially if you know the Walmart SKU number. Is it the 1/2 or 5/8 inch? 25 foot or 50 foot? I saw them on Amazon but it'd be easier to get at Wally World.
I have not installed my new hose yet but it was the only blue water hose in the RV section at Wally World. It's 50'. I will install it before the next trip.

If you had the same hose we have you would not brush your teeth with water from it but once. The DW cooked with it and we had to throw out the meal.

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
I told my salesman about the water smell/taste reported on this forum before we picked up our coach. I'm not sure the hose was changed but we have been in 5 parks and haven't had an issue with water smell or taste.

I did notice a bad flavor in some bottles that were kept in the hot coach while it was stored.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Use Any 1/2" Camco or Valterra white hose and you will lose the smell.
Is there something special about the 1/2" Camco white hose that differentiates it from the more common 5/8" Camco white hose?

I seriously question whether there are any standards written or followed to make the white hose safe for drinking water. The blue hose at least has an official looking sticker on the hose itself to imply it adheres to some food grade standard. Does anyone have knowledge of these standards?

I don't remember what the sticker said, and it fell off and was discarded soon after opening the package. However, my neighbor is a chef and he commented that he recognized the tag as 'food grade' from his food safety training.