Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Water Line Problem

2014 Anthem 42RBQ..My problem is: When using city water (Diverter valve in bay is straight up and down) and my frsh water tank is full, I get tiny stream of water out of the overflow tube mid coach. I can drain the fresh water tank down, say 1/2 inch, and the stream stops. But after a day or two the tank is full again and the stream starts again. My first thought is that maybe water is getting past the diverter valve.. Thought I would check here before I start cutting out valves thank in advance..
umsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you have a City Water/Fill Tank valve going bad it is most likely the check valve in the top of the water pump. There have been numerous write ups about that check valve getting stuck. It is not very complicated to unstick it.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Unless you have a City Water/Fill Tank valve going bad it is most likely the check valve in the top of the water pump. There have been numerous write ups about that check valve getting stuck. It is not very complicated to unstick it.

Any suggestions on how to un- stick it ?
Old 03-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

Another hint is when i am unhooked from city water and using the pump..After the pump reaches full pressure it stops as it is supposed to, but about every 60 seconds to pump will come on for about 1/2 a second all night long
Old 03-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Dave is right on especially after you mentioned the pump is cycling (not holding pressure).

Other things to check, turn the city/fill valve handle back and forth several times. They do get mineral deposits in them.

My problem was a faulty pressure regulator that I connect to the city water faucet. Mine was not regulating the pressure. Whenever a CG water pressure was above 65 PSI the water would flow past the check valve that Dave mentioned and my tank would fill and over flow. Bought a new regulator, set it for 55 PSI...end of problem.

I carry a water pressure gauge that connects to a hose fitting available in the sprinkler dept of any of the box stores. It has helped me several time to troubleshoot CG water pressure problems.

My pump cycling problem was a loose washing machine hose connection. I won't even say how long that took to find.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Yep, either the fill valve or the pump check valve. Pump is easy to check. With pump off and city water on, back off the output nut on the pump (use a drip pan). You should get zero flow. If you get any, the pressure is getting past the pump. If no flow, its the fill valve.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I forgot to ask....do you have an inline water pressure regulator between the city water supply and the coach? If not the pressure at the camp ground, if high, can blow right past any of the valves.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #8

if you have a 4 position Anderson valve, as we do, the internal cartridge can overtime start to allow city water thru to the water tank, even though it might not be noticeable until the trickles from the water tank overflow are noticed. We've replace our at least twice just do to this issue.... then, I got smart, and installed a regular water line cutoff valve inline just before the water tank. When I have it in the off position, no water gets into the water tank regardless of whether the Anderson valve is leaking or not : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
Yep, either the fill valve or the pump check valve. Pump is easy to check. With pump off and city water on, back off the output nut on the pump (use a drip pan). You should get zero flow. If you get any, the pressure is getting past the pump. If no flow, its the fill valve.
Thanks Stew, that males sense.. I will do that tommorrow
Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsman View Post
2014 Anthem 42RBQ..My problem is: When using city water (Diverter valve in bay is straight up and down) and my frsh water tank is full, I get tiny stream of water out of the overflow tube mid coach. I can drain the fresh water tank down, say 1/2 inch, and the stream stops. But after a day or two the tank is full again and the stream starts again. My first thought is that maybe water is getting past the diverter valve.. Thought I would check here before I start cutting out valves thank in advance..

I had the same problem, basically my fresh water tank was slowly filling up and over flowing even though I was hooked up to city water and had the valve turned vertical to city water. I called Entegra and CS they had me perform two tests:

1. City Water / Fresh Water Valve Test
A. Connect to the city water line, place city/fresh water valve to city water (vertical on my Aspire), and turn on the water
B. Detach the inbound line (one on the left of the pump in our Aspire).
C. If the water continues to leak (even a small stream) then you have a leak in your city water/fresh water valve in your water bay (the one you turn to fill your fresh water tank).

2. Water Pump Test
A. Connect to the city water line, place city/fresh water valve to city water (vertical on my Aspire), and turn on the water
B. If the water did not not leak (above test), reattach the inbound water line (left side of water pump in our Aspire)
C. Detach the line on the right side of the pump. If that leaks then you have a bad water pump.

Fortunately for us it was the check valve. Quick trip to Ace and 30 minutes later resolved. But, also check your water pressure. We initially had the leak because our regulator failed and >65 was getting through.

Hope this helps!

Jeff &a Terri
2012 Aspire DEQ
Jburklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Actually there is a super simple way to test for the pump check valve leaking back.

1. Make all your hookups to city water as normal. Turn off the pump. Now find the clear hose and valve that is used to fill the system with antifreeze.

2. Simply turn the valve so it is pointing at the clear hose, if you see water backing up into the clear hose the check valve is leaking.

At this point burping the pump a few times will normally fix the problem. To do that close the valve, put all back to normal and shut off the shore water supply. Turn on the pump and "Burp" it by letting some water flow thru the wet bay sprayer, now go back and do step one. Repeat until the backflow stops.

I have this problem regularly when hooking up at a new campground and have now gotten in the habit of doing the clear hose test every time. If it is leaking, burping the pump will fix it usually after a few tries.

Can't take credit for this procedure, another poster on another thread about this topic posted the idea. Sorry don't remember who you were, but thanks!
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
While not an answer, strongly recommend all not fill the tank completely so that the overflow tube removes water at all. The tank is too full at that point and you risk over pressure breaking the tank (a leak) at one of the seams. Stop the fill before; about a half an inch short of the top. That's the recommendation from the Customer Service folks based upon a limited number of us having a leak after overfilling.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #13

Strangely enough, experienced the very problem you described today!! Replaced the check valve( shur flo 4008 series water pump; $8.95). Don't need to remove the pump, follow instruction with the kit... 20 minute job... Problem solved..
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #14

I had the same problem talked to Entegra CS they told me that they are adding a check valve in line to the input of the water pump on all new coach's. I went to home depot and bought a $6.00 check valve and fittings. Installed it inline to the pump. No more issues.
jktxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water