Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

water pump and water supply

Recently I purchased (2!) water filters for my pedestal filter holder and unfortunately I did not notice that they are drinking water filters, which means they were expensive at $40 a piece, they provide great tasting water but their flow rates are too low to keep pressure adequate, especially in shower. So my question has to do with using the water pump to boost water pressure. If I turn the water pump on with the city connection on, is it pumping from the holding tank or from the city line? I keep the valve down in the wet bay horizontal meaning it is open to city line. I do not want to pump water from the holding tank because it is old and not suitable for drinking, I only keep 50% of tank full in case of emergency. Alternatively if I empty the holding tank will the pump then pump from the city line?
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
If I am reading your post right, the water pump will not correct the flow rate through the filter. If the filter is the restriction, then it would have to be changed.

If the City water pressure is below 40 PSI, then the pump will boost the water pressure into the coach, but won't help with flow restriction.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Are you saying that the water pump would boost water pressure coming from the campground? I thought the pump only pumps water from the storage tank.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Are you saying that the water pump would boost water pressure coming from the campground? I thought the pump only pumps water from the storage tank.
The pump would boost low city water pressure on the TS but I don't have an Entegra to answer your question
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
My thought was with Marc...once you're on city water, the pump does nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone out there.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #6

The water pump will boost low city water pressure, but it does it with water from the tank. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
The water pump will boost low city water pressure, but it does it with water from the tank. Noel
This is true but the city pressure would have to be lower than the pumps cut on pressure.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This is true but the city pressure would have to be lower than the pumps cut on pressure.
Very astute observation!!
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
You bought carbon filters. Their flow rate is greatly reduced from what a normal string wrapped particle filter will provide. Best solution is to purchase the particle filters. You could try one of each in the 2 filter system, but flow will still suffer as the carbon (drinking water filter) will limit flow. Tried the same in the S&B a few years back.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #10

I think I get it, if the water pressure drops at the intake from the city side either due to low pressure or because of the flow restriction when I open a faucet then the pump kicks in but it boost pressure by pumping from tank. I was afraid that would be the case. It couldn't be plumbed in series with city line.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
Recently I purchased (2!) water filters for my pedestal filter holder and unfortunately I did not notice that they are drinking water filters, which means they were expensive at $40 a piece, they provide great tasting water but their flow rates are too low to keep pressure adequate, especially in shower. So my question has to do with using the water pump to boost water pressure. If I turn the water pump on with the city connection on, is it pumping from the holding tank or from the city line? I keep the valve down in the wet bay horizontal meaning it is open to city line. I do not want to pump water from the holding tank because it is old and not suitable for drinking, I only keep 50% of tank full in case of emergency. Alternatively if I empty the holding tank will the pump then pump from the city line?

First best advice here is to sanitize your fresh water holding tank, and then make it a habit to continuously cycle that water...do some laundry, take showers to keep that water fresh. We've always made it a policy to do that and have always had fresh water. We draw our drinking water from the refer cause it's triple filtered. If I'm going to store the coach for a month, I'll drain and fill, and I always try to find a chlorinated water supply for that pre-storage fill. I also added a blue inline hose filter to my system, and changed my hose to a CAMCO hose to cure the plastic taste/odor. Sanitize at least annually, but better biannually.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #12

As you have already found out the water pump will increase your pressure. Do you have a pressure device on the city water hose that controls pressure and if so is it adjustable? Many of them have a gauge and an adjustment that will allow the optimum pressure for the coach, it would be about 60 psi.
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump