Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2022, 08:39 AM   #1

Water smells in mid ship bath only

we have a 2021 anthem 44r and have a strange issue. The sink in the midship bath's water smells. the other sinks as well as shower are fine just this one sink. We do have a culligan system for our casita and coach and no other sink or shower smells just the one in midship full bath. Any ideas would be appreciated. Smell goes away once the water is running for a while. Just don't know why it would be only this sink and not the others. thanks. ps we do do not use this sink as often as others
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2022, 08:52 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder if it's the water or the drain. If you fill a glass with water from that sink and go to another room to smell the water, does it smell? If not then it's likely the drain causing the smell.
We have one sink we don't use much in our RV, after a while it starts to smell, running water into it corrects the problem. I KNOW it's not the water because this is one side of the kitchen sink and it's almost always covered with a cutting board. So the water here is used regularly, but not that side of the sink.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:57 AM   #3

I had a smell problem a year or 18 months ago and published a thread on an effective Sanitizing process (Thetford). But the smelly water was in all sinks/showers. But one thing I noticed was that the smell was greatest if the water had not been actively used (stood in line for longer periods of time).

I'm pretty sure that I picked up an algae or microbe at some RV park we had patronized and that was the cause. I thought that the water we took on MUST have had Sulphur in it, but did a lot of reading and learned that the Sulphur smell is produced by an microbe that adheres to and grows in you water lines and your tank, and then transfers its smell to the water as the water stands in the line. The longer it stands in the line, the stronger the smell. Just my experience....

We were traveling in the northeast and patronized several small parks off the beaten path and I believe that was the source (bad well water). I now never re-fill the fresh tank from well-water camps. We will use the fresh from the tank rather than use the well water. If we run out of good water in the tank, then we don't re-fill the tank and use the well water for showering and washing but never add it to the tank until we get to city water again. Then we flush all lines.

I found the Thetford water sanitization process worked very well. I now am reluctant to take on any water into the tank unless I am certain it is from a city water supply that is chlorinated and NEVER from a well or private water supply.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same thing on my 19 and 21. Sanitizing the tank letting bleach water sit in the pipes overnight, then normal use it went away.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #5

Air admittance valve

replace OEM with the link below.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Studor-Mini...m0-_-10078-_-0
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #6

From your description it sounds as though the P-trap does not have a sufficient amount of water to block the odors. It doesn’t sound like an AAV issue. When does this occur? After driving? Every morning? It’s possible that water is sloshing out while under way. If that’s the case, you could try closing the stopper and then add some water to the sink, once parked and then open the stopper. That sink likely drains to the black tank, so you get to experience all the pleasantries that lie within.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #7

thanks

appreciate responses. Going to look at air admittance valve first, since it generally happens when the sink has not been used for a bit. It tends to go away once water has been running for a bit so filling up the trap. Not sure why it does not smell all the time and just starts smelling when we turn on water. If this is not right will sanitize tank. thanks for the options, these forums are so very helpful for troubleshooting. Fortunately we don't use sink often and have service scheduled for april.
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same issue in my back bathroom sink. Like Gary posted, the Thetford process fixed my issue. I also used bleach, but it would not get rid of the odor if not run for several days. The Thetford worked on mine, and it takes some time, like all day and maybe overnight, then flush. It is a 2 step process. Bleach may do that like Chuck suggested, I just never let it sit overnight. If using bleach, I would bypass the Aqua Hot.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:01 AM   #9

If other stuff does not solve it. It was mentioned the AAV valve it worth a try.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #10

This the Thetford kit that resolved my smell problem and killed the mucrobes in the water lines.

I read the instructions CAREFULLY and did exactly what it said except that I filled and emptied the tank and lines an extra time beyond what they specify. It is damn time consuming ( ~ a full day) in that I have 100 gallon fresh tank and it drains damn slowly when you are draining it, but the Thetford process works and is bulletproof. Its only about $13 on Amazon or even at Camping World. I can attest, the Thetford system does work completely.

Fresh Water Tank Sanitizer Detergent and Sanitizer Treatment, 2 x 24 oz bottles - Thetford 36662

Find on Amazon

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.herren View Post
Air admittance valve

replace OEM with the link below.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Studor-Mini...m0-_-10078-_-0
Assuming he has them. My coach for instance has neither studor valves nor P traps.

OP, I had the issue only from my bath sinks. I did a thorough cleaning of the gray tank and it cleared up the smell. The gray tank collects all kinds of food and debris from the kitchen sink. If the food get's trapped in a corner of the tank and like me you leave your gray tank open, that food will rot unless the water flow rinses it out
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lands View Post
appreciate responses. Going to look at air admittance valve first, since it generally happens when the sink has not been used for a bit. It tends to go away once water has been running for a bit so filling up the trap. Not sure why it does not smell all the time and just starts smelling when we turn on water. If this is not right will sanitize tank. thanks for the options, these forums are so very helpful for troubleshooting. Fortunately we don't use sink often and have service scheduled for april.
Are you sure your coach has P traps in the bathroom?
Old 03-04-2022, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I had a smell problem a year or 18 months ago and published a thread on an effective Sanitizing process (Thetford). But the smelly water was in all sinks/showers. But one thing I noticed was that the smell was greatest if the water had not been actively used (stood in line for longer periods of time).

I'm pretty sure that I picked up an algae or microbe at some RV park we had patronized and that was the cause. I thought that the water we took on MUST have had Sulphur in it, but did a lot of reading and learned that the Sulphur smell is produced by an microbe that adheres to and grows in you water lines and your tank, and then transfers its smell to the water as the water stands in the line. The longer it stands in the line, the stronger the smell. Just my experience....

We were traveling in the northeast and patronized several small parks off the beaten path and I believe that was the source (bad well water). I now never re-fill the fresh tank from well-water camps. We will use the fresh from the tank rather than use the well water. If we run out of good water in the tank, then we don't re-fill the tank and use the well water for showering and washing but never add it to the tank until we get to city water again. Then we flush all lines.

I found the Thetford water sanitization process worked very well. I now am reluctant to take on any water into the tank unless I am certain it is from a city water supply that is chlorinated and NEVER from a well or private water supply.

Gary
This is why I use a three stage filtration system for everyday water use, and a 6 stage RO for drinking water. Not much will get through them
Old 03-04-2022, 12:16 PM   #14

The OP’s coach has been stationary and presumably connected to a city water supply. That condition would seem to eliminate the fresh water tank as a source of the odor, would it not?

If the source of the odor is microbes, as Nathan Arizona mentioned in the movie Raising Arizona, those microbes would be located only in the line between the city water source and the offending sink. However, do we know that the water is the source of the odor?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell, water