Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga80486 View Post
The worst part about those is pouring the salt in that tiny hole when you have to recharge it. I'm ready to sell it and buy a different one just because of that.
Use a prefilter, remove the filter cartridge, pour a box of salt in there and regenerate. Makes it real easy.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Use a prefilter, remove the filter cartridge, pour a box of salt in there and regenerate. Makes it real easy.
My softener is BEFORE my filter.

I prefer to measure the salt concentration I need 5lbs for my system.
So I dissolve 3lbs of salt in 1 gal of water and a few drops of food color.
Then disconnect the PEX connection from the output of the hose reel.
Using a funnel and a small adapter hose, I pour this into the system.
I also have the drain line open.
I use two gallons because of my system size.

When I see colored water, I know the softener is full.
After it sets for awhile, I reconnect the hose reel, and turn on the water a little to flush the brine out of the drain valve.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Dan several of us use prefilters to help extend the life of the water softener resin. I also have two more filters after the water softener.

This is one of my prefilter just from a 4 day stay at one RV parks. Glad that didn't wind up in my softener.

This is the setup I was referring to using a prefilter for the person that was having a hard time getting the salt in his softener. Others may regenerate a different way.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
$173 shipped. I've been using it for about a month and a half.

RV-PRO10000
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga80486 View Post
The worst part about those is pouring the salt in that tiny hole when you have to recharge it. I'm ready to sell it and buy a different one just because of that.
You might want to try dissolving the salt in water and pouring it in.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Good unit and a good price. All softeners do basically the same job. Can't beat it being a Watts
Old 12-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #21

Chuck we can't see your photos.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #22

I'd really like some ideas on how to install in the storage bay of a Cornerstone. I had to pull my softener when the temps started dropping below freezing at night and am really missing the soft water. There is not enough room in the wet bay for a softener, and the adjacent bays have electric slides. Ideas?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Our 2016 is a bit different than your 2015 but this should still work. In 2015 the optional freezer was the smaller CF-80 and was mounted transversely in the curbside bay just aft of the two large pass-through bays, which is the same place where the water filters were located. In 2016 those filters were removed from that bay and relocated to the wet bay panel. Also, the freezer was removed and replaced with the large CF-110 freezer, which is now located on a slide tray in the curbside front bay just forward of the two pass-through cargo bays. That left the previous freezer and filter compartment vacant and open for storage or any other use. You can do basically the same thing. Just relocate your freezer to the front bay. You can keep the existing freezer, although you'll need a new cargo tray to switch it from transverse to longitudinal slide action. Or, as long as you are getting a new tray you might want to consider the larger freezer. Either way, that opens up that bay, which has a nice heat duct right there.

What I did was pick up a new slide tray that fit that rearward bay and mounted my RoadWave pressure washer, an iron filter and a water softener in that area. In my case I had to run Pex from the wet bay across to that area but on a 2015 the water should already be there. An article on this installation is in the latest Family Motor Coaching magazine. See Family Motor Coaching - December 2015 - Page: 44 for that article.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Chuck we can't see your photos.
Sorry about that. I can't believe one time they post and the next time, they do not.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I'd really like some ideas on how to install in the storage bay of a Cornerstone. I had to pull my softener when the temps started dropping below freezing at night and am really missing the soft water. There is not enough room in the wet bay for a softener, and the adjacent bays have electric slides. Ideas?
I put a marine(stainless brand) horizontal water softner in the pasenger side of our 2016 cornerstone wet bay. I plumbed it with 2 three way valves and recharge in place. I have not been able to post pictures but can email some.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
I put a marine(stainless brand) horizontal water softner in the pasenger side of our 2016 cornerstone wet bay. I plumbed it with 2 three way valves and recharge in place. I have not been able to post pictures but can email some.

How about a name / link to the unit you installed? I have googled horizontal marine water softeners without success.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dan several of us use prefilters to help extend the life of the water softener resin. I also have two more filters after the water softener.

This is one of my prefilter just from a 4 day stay at one RV parks. Glad that didn't wind up in my softener.

This is the setup I was referring to using a prefilter for the person that was having a hard time getting the salt in his softener. Others may regenerate a different way.
I have been lazy in that respect. I do have a pre-filter, but it is the cheap Camco filter that I attach to the faucet. So it can't be filled with salt.

HOWEVER...you have given me an idea...I do have a "normal" filter in the garage, and might use it to add salt. Just not sure what the brine concentration would be doing it that way.

Dan
Old 12-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
How about a name / link to the unit you installed? I have googled horizontal marine water softeners without success.
Bob, this is what I found today when I searched for a horizontal water softener. It looks as if it could be modified for permanent installation.

Soft Wet Spot | The Original Portable Water Softening System
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water