Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #43

I purchased a 8 yr old Gas Monarch a few yrs ago. It had under 14k miles and in better than average condition for its age. The price was about 1/3 of the new cost and they gave me retail for my car in trade. I'm sure I'm upside down today. but it seems easier and much less expensive to do the upgrades as needed.
lyonsfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #44

New RV?

I've been RVing for 35 years. Never bought a new one. Started with a truck bed camper I bought that was sitting in a pasture. Only had one new house and that's because I built it. Have a fleet of classic sports cars. Never purchased any of them new (didn't wait until they were classics either).
It never made sense to me to buy new, I always let the other fellows take the depreciation hit and work out the kinks. I purchased 4 new vehicles in my life, mostly because I needed write off on taxes. But even that wasn't worth it unless you keep until it turns to dust. I generally buy stuff a few years old and pay accordingly. That new RV "smell" is too costly for me.

Currently driving an 02 DP that is everything I want and need. It's not as shiny as others and doesn't have as many useless, expensive gadgets but I paid accordingly. I mean, who needs an electric fireplace in a motor home? You're supposed to build the fire outside, eh? Anyway, I've had it for 5 years with very few hiccups. Sure there is occasional maintenance but from what I know, the new ones have that too. When I tire of this I'll buy another one. Used as well. That way I can afford the RV AND the house at the beach AND the cabin in the mountains. And spend less for all 3 than a new "upscale" coach would cost. It's like the guy in that old wine commercial on his yacht, "How do you think I got SOOO rich???"

Your Mileage May Vary

Darwin
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by medarwin View Post
I've been RVing for 35 years. Never bought a new one. Started with a truck bed camper I bought that was sitting in a pasture. Only had one new house and that's because I built it. Have a fleet of classic sports cars. Never purchased any of them new (didn't wait until they were classics either).
It never made sense to me to buy new, I always let the other fellows take the depreciation hit and work out the kinks. I purchased 4 new vehicles in my life, mostly because I needed write off on taxes. But even that wasn't worth it unless you keep until it turns to dust. I generally buy stuff a few years old and pay accordingly. That new RV "smell" is too costly for me.

.... When I tire of this I'll buy another one. Used as well. That way I can afford the RV AND the house at the beach AND the cabin in the mountains. And spend less for all 3 than a new "upscale" coach would cost. It's like the guy in that old wine commercial on his yacht, "How do you think I got SOOO rich???"

Your Mileage May Vary

Darwin
Where do you find such cheap mountain and beach cabins?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #46

I proper maintenance is done, diesel engines and transmissions on class A's are good for up to 500k miles. It is everything else that will wear out. The basic chassis should out live you.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #47

Thumbs down No shame in driving an older unit.

The fundamentals are pretty straight forward. The unit must be reliable, the floor plan must be what you want, and the investment must be reasonable. New bling really doesn't do anything for me. I do all my own maintenance, and enjoy performing the odd upgrade. My first gen Seneca has been awesome. My wife and I plan to use it for a long time. Depreciation is not an issue.
edenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #48

We looked at new and newer used MHs, with the best we saw a 2012 Newmar that was in excellent condition for $60K. Then we went home and looked at our paid-for MH and decided to order a new burner for the furnace and stick with what we've got. We're both retired and I'm not sure this is how I want to spend a chunk of our 401K.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #49

we'll just keep ours

Ah, you know what Dave.....We bought our American coach new in 2002. Our intention was to keep it for 3-4 years and upgrade. However, when the time came, we were not too happy with what was being built, so we decided to wait another year, or two. Well, we are a few days from going into the year 2021 and I am ever so happy to report that we still own that 2002 American Tradition. We stopped looking years ago because decided that we already owned the best the industry had to offer. We now have over 150,000 miles on it and spend quite a bit off our free time doing the required maintenance and updates. But it is worth every penny we put into it! You know....virtually anyone of us on this forum can go out there and buy a new RV, but there is something to be said about owning an older model that that is loaded with stories to tell....

Life is Good!
Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Times Beach, MO, maybe?

Edit PS: agree that buying new to replace a 2015 is an exercise in shredding money on depreciation; you've taken the biggest part of the hit already so why start the cycle over again? I think you'll get more enjoyment return from keeping your current coach and continuing to customize to your liking.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #51

Weeellll said Memories are priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
Ah, you know what Dave.....We bought our American coach new in 2002. Our intention was to keep it for 3-4 years and upgrade. However, when the time came, we were not too happy with what was being built, so we decided to wait another year, or two. Well, we are a few days from going into the year 2021 and I am ever so happy to report that we still own that 2002 American Tradition. We stopped looking years ago because decided that we already owned the best the industry had to offer. We now have over 150,000 miles on it and spend quite a bit off our free time doing the required maintenance and updates. But it is worth every penny we put into it! You know....virtually anyone of us on this forum can go out there and buy a new RV, but there is something to be said about owning an older model that that is loaded with stories to tell....

Life is Good!
Bill

Weelll said: Memories are priceless no matter how or what they were made in canvas tent to megarig...
Keeping up with the Jonses is good for the Jonses we take a little off the pedal and just coast along, when I learned to drive waaayyy back then both informally and formally in high school in them new cars...wow our instructor always told us, buy a lightly used vehicle and when driving if someone is passing slow down by a mile or three let em go, they will be happier, and you will be safer.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:08 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
For those that like to purchase previously owned coaches, nothing wrong with that, I've done both. But be very thankful someone purchased that coach new and took the depreciation hit. If it wasn't for new coach purchasers, there wouldn't be any "great deals" for others. I've known the OP for a number of years, even he purchased his coach new. He has decided he is not going to turn his coach into a "great deal", he is going to upgrade and keep it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #53

Remember there is and should always be a Green Diesel Alternative

Diesel can be derived from all sorts of waste products being recycled and alternate organic stock, so its going to help bigly reduce the environmental impact, it may cost a little more or less depending on the subsidisies but even if all the OTR truckers move on to hydrogen or electric its going to take decades to totally move off the diesel process and the creation of green diesel will always have a spot in the fabric of our ecology. They may logically raise the CAFE requirements to help provide cleaner air...
Old 12-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #54
3Ds

From a F.T. RV couple and dog who own a 2014 Dutchmen 3605 Toy hauler. I'm keeping ours. We were going to down size to a 35'-36' 5er for ease of traveling but cost is up and available down. We have been workamping but now will travel the US after winter season. The unit works fine but could use upgrades. I'm having disc brakes put on, a new converter put in, a schwintech slide repaired. I was a furniture builder so i am making cabinet changes throughout. I hope to see you all out and about. Our dodge 3500 "Gator" pulls our 40' Dreamcatcher Lodge. Happy Trails in the New Year to all.
3Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post

I buy when others are selling. Just like the market.
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #56

I feel your pain when it comes to trade in value. Wholesale on your Entegra would be about $140,000. I to was shocked when the trade in value of my 2018 Dutchstar was 225K to 235K. You would think a dealer would pay top dollar right now but I guess they need to make 80 to 90K instead of 30 to 40K. Ridiculous! I know sell it yourself, but that's not the point.