Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
What can happen to a MH in 10 below zero (long)

The Travel Supreme I just sold is on it's way to it's new home in Canada. During it's journy the weather has turned to some of the coldest for the year and the following are problems that happened from -10 below zero temperatures in Minot ND.

The defrosters did not work with windchill factored temperatures at -45 below zero. There was no warm air traveling 38 ft from the engine to the windshield, only cold humid air. An electric space heater had to be set in the dash to keep the windshield from icing up.

The forced air furnace that is like brand new quit. My educated guess is that condensation in the LP gas froze in the regulator stopping the gas flow. Therefore no heat at 10 below. The furnace did start working again yesterday once the sun came out.

I don't know about the Entegra yet, but the hydraulic reservoir sits high and to the right of the engine in the engine compartment in the TS. It does not allow any heat from the engine to reach the fluid keeping it warm. Apparantly the hydraulic fluid at that cold temperature solidified casuing the hydraulic pump to burn up. The hydraulic pump runs the power steering, the engine cooling fan and the brake assist on the TS. The MH is now in Minot ND waiting for very expensive parts.

Moral to the post, these MH are not designed to travel in sub zero temperatures. If you plan on taking your MH on a ski vacation or to visit relatives in sub zero weather these are things that can happen and are very hard, if not impossible to prepare for. We have the best insulated MH's on the market, but there is nothing Entegra or Spartan can do for engine components at those temperatures. We are not semi truck where everything is packed nicely around a nice warm engine. We are strung out 43-45 foot with a lot of cold air in between.

It's sad that this was allowed to happen.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's unfortunate for something like this to happen to the new owners. I bet they have a sour taste for rv-ing at the moment. Hope they get everything up and running and at least enjoy part of the Holiday.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #3

I always knew there was a reason I did not want to live that far North - thanks for confirming it. I hope the repairs go well and I, for one, will never drive North in the Winter....
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting...there were several posts on this thread, non-confrontational, that are not there today. Wonder what happened?
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Interesting...there were several posts on this thread, non-confrontational, that are not there today. Wonder what happened?
Interesting! But, don't ask too many questions and watch out for any black suburbans that pull-up outside!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, unfortunate circumstances for the new owner but it is true that these rigs are not really designed to handle that kind of severely cold weather. I know you said in your other thread that his new owner had originally planned to get the coach home 2 months ago. At this point, he must be kicking himself for not doing that.

Do you know how much farther from ND does need to travel to his final destination? If he continues on in that kind of weather, he may have additional problems.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
It is in the 20s today in ND, so conditions improving for those folks, thank goodness!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I was asked by one of the mods to please re-post it leaving what can happen in server and leaving any mention of parties out. I agreed.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I wondered if I'd been deleted again, when I didn't think I said anything off-center. been trying to be a little more circumspect the last several months.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I wondered if I'd been deleted again, when I didn't think I said anything off-center. been trying to be a little more circumspect the last several months.
I think it was more me... I made to much mention about the buyer instead of the damage caused by the weather. That started post going in the wrong direction when the point was how MH's are not built for travel in extreme weather conditions.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, worst newbie mistake I think I've ever read about. Too bad they weren't better informed. You go south in the winter and north in the summer
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Wow, worst newbie mistake I think I've ever read about. Too bad they weren't better informed. You go south in the winter and north in the summer
Or north when it was purchased and had a beautiful fall color trip.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

Or north when it was purchased and had a beautiful fall color trip.
Never saw -45 wind chill temps when the Fall colors were out. Moving through ND and Canada in late December is not prudent without advance weather info either, hence their debacle. If you meant it was purchased in Sept or Oct, that's far from a Dec weather guarantee Anyway, sure feel sorry for them.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, the MH was purchased in Oct...a beautiful time of the year to travel that part of the country.