RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Was there any check for codes? That would tell a more accurate story. Perhaps the OP could look now for stored codes. If there is a code followed by FMI 9 it is a communication problem and maybe nothing was wrong.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I have never checked to see if the coach show exhaust temps. That is the easiest way to see if it is in regen mode. I had them in an f450 and you could see the temp rise.

I know different year models have different capabilities so this does not apply to everyone. In my 2018 exhaust temp is one of the many optional parameters that can be selected to view on the DIC. On a related note, a major shortcoming of the Spartan training is the lack of coverage on the DIC, how to use it, and advisable ranges. There is a lot more to these coaches than “drive it like you stole it!l
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The DEF system is very sensitive not only for performance monitoring, but also for detection of tampering. Like a temperamental child, it can pitch a fit if issues are ignored. Kidding aside, if there is a low DEF light and DEF is not low, it is an indication there is an issue that needs to be resolved before the system deflates the engine.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OOPS - I meant derate not deflate. Don’t you love auto correct when typing. I have visions of my engine deflating. Would make changing the air filter easier.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom78418 View Post
The DEF system is very sensitive not only for performance monitoring, but also for detection of tampering. Like a temperamental child, it can pitch a fit if issues are ignored. Kidding aside, if there is a low DEF light and DEF is not low, it is an indication there is an issue that needs to be resolved before the system deflates the engine.
Tom, well said. Reading the "tech manuals" (owner manual) on owning my first DEF coach, I learned there were 16 DEF sensor that all had to talk to each others. In today's terms, they have to be "synced". One gets out of sync it can derate the engine, or let you get down the road with a warning light. Those driving DEF coaches might want to learn a little more on what the idiot lights are saying.

Good point about Spartan not going into the DIC more in their classes. Something that is important that could leave you at the side of the road is just skimmed over doesn't seem right. This post was an eye opener about what the DIC is saying to several that own DEF coaches. I know I have learned from this post and Phil's, BBQ Guy, post last week about DEF warning lights.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
That light means the exhaust is too hot to park on dry grass when exhaust cools a little it will go out, I didn't read everyone answer but someone may have told you this already
anyhow nothing to worry about it will go out
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CUS View Post
That light means the exhaust is too hot to park on dry grass when exhaust cools a little it will go out, I didn't read everyone answer but someone may have told you this already
anyhow nothing to worry about it will go out
Look real close at all 3 DEF light examples posted. It is the low DEF light. Not reading the lights correctly could get someone stranded. If the DEF is not low, there is a chance that is a sensor problem that may derated the engine. I have had may share of incorrect CEL and it is not fun.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #36

And you’ve never added def before?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnKPerk View Post
And you’ve never added def before?
The OP said his DEF was more than half full. That indicates there is another problem, DEF pump, sensor or who knows, but it was not low DEF. That is the warning that a Cummins computer check is needed.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Its a Low DEF Indicator, associated with the lack of any indication in the bar graph near the fuel gauge. There are two things happening here. Low DEF Light and no bar graph. Yet a half full tank. Sounds like a sensor issue which as others have reported will lead to trouble in the not to distant future.
Hivoltmaint. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #39
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your picture is unclear. Take a look at these. There are plenty of them on the net.

Cummins puts out a plastic glossy with the lights.

IF it is the DPF light the thing is trying to clean itself and needs to be driven at highway speeds if possible.

Once these things clog they may not clean and you will be in for a tow and expensive replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DPF Navistart.pdf (2.15 MB, 5 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Your picture is unclear. Take a look at these. There are plenty of them on the net.

Cummins puts out a plastic glossy with the lights.

IF it is the DPF light the thing is trying to clean itself and needs to be driven at highway speeds if possible.

Once these things clog they may not clean and you will be in for a tow and expensive replacement.

As others have already said, it is a low DEF light. There may be another problem, but the light is for low DEF. The document you linked is for the Navistar MaxxForce engine, not a Cummins product.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #41
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
As others have already said, it is a low DEF light. There may be another problem, but the light is for low DEF. The document you linked is for the Navistar MaxxForce engine, not a Cummins product.
Guess I should have added ymmv

Was trying to supply more than one source of information.

For those that have a Cummins the reference is useful. We got nice handouts and I keep mine close at hand.

Who can remember what those screwy lights mean when they come on so seldom
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light