Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"Just the Facts Ma'am" Sargent Friday

I have read thru the thread because we use the TSD card all the time. Mostly at TA/Petro because we receive the best net price. If you are going to comment about fuel prices please have the facts not just supposition. Then we can review and see if we should be concerned.

We will be traveling from California to Phoenix then to Texas. Here is what I found during our trip planning on fuel prices (Open Roads).

TA/Petro #15 Kingman AZ Pump Price 4.029 Discount Price 3.443
Loves #272 Kingman AZ 3.989 Pump Price Discount Price 3.709
TA/Petro #6 Casa Grande AZ Pump Price 3.999 Discount Price 3.153
Loves #265 Casa Grande AZ Pump Price 3.989 Discount Price 3.709
TA/Petro Las Cruces Pump Price 3.859 Discount Price 3.073
Loves #259 Las Cruces NM Pump Price 3.849 Discount Price 3.569

To say the Loves gives better pricing than TA/Petro is just not true. Yes there are regional truck stops like Road Ranger offer a few cents less than TA/Petro. Or you might get lucky and find a Maverik like we did in Holbrook AZ, that had a pump price of 3.599 and the TA/Petro was 3.619. We used our Costco card at Maverik which earned us another 4% discount.

Our trip planning software will show locations of the major truck stops and usually not the regionals. The majors are mostly located beside interstates which makes it very convenient. I don't intend to drive up some side road where there is a low overpass to save 7 cents.

There are the facts!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #16

Bryan

I’m not sure which words in my initial post you do not understand, but I am giving you facts and no supposition. I checked the prices last evening even trip planning. Just like you. Those were the open road prices last night I rechecked the process two hours ago as I was beginning to drive. The prices I am reporting are the prices shown. I have no trouble understand or reporting numbers.

Now if someone else is seeing different prices in a different part of the country. Fine!….. that was the purpose of my post. 😊

My comment was asking if these numbers are an aberration ?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Old 01-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
If you can find a better deal without using the TSD card, by all means use it. Prices are more, and the discounts are less, no big deal seeing as how I paid nothing for the opportunity to use the card
Old 01-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man49 View Post
I have read thru the thread because we use the TSD card all the time. Mostly at TA/Petro because we receive the best net price. If you are going to comment about fuel prices please have the facts not just supposition. Then we can review and see if we should be concerned.

We will be traveling from California to Phoenix then to Texas. Here is what I found during our trip planning on fuel prices (Open Roads).

TA/Petro #15 Kingman AZ Pump Price 4.029 Discount Price 3.443
Loves #272 Kingman AZ 3.989 Pump Price Discount Price 3.709
TA/Petro #6 Casa Grande AZ Pump Price 3.999 Discount Price 3.153
Loves #265 Casa Grande AZ Pump Price 3.989 Discount Price 3.709
TA/Petro Las Cruces Pump Price 3.859 Discount Price 3.073
Loves #259 Las Cruces NM Pump Price 3.849 Discount Price 3.569

To say the Loves gives better pricing than TA/Petro is just not true. Yes there are regional truck stops like Road Ranger offer a few cents less than TA/Petro. Or you might get lucky and find a Maverik like we did in Holbrook AZ, that had a pump price of 3.599 and the TA/Petro was 3.619. We used our Costco card at Maverik which earned us another 4% discount.

Our trip planning software will show locations of the major truck stops and usually not the regionals. The majors are mostly located beside interstates which makes it very convenient. I don't intend to drive up some side road where there is a low overpass to save 7 cents.

There are the facts!
And your facts are relevant to only the location you mentioned here. The OP was posting prices from different locations in the country than yours, making those prices factual as well, not supposition. I believe the purpose of the thread was to find if the discount prices are the same across the board or different regionally.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From the TSD Logistics website (https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/) FAQ:

–Is there a set amount of discount per gallon? Answer: No. Our discounts vary by chain and store. The more gallons our company as a whole purchases the bigger the discounts.

As I understand the process, TSD negotiates with chains and stores in an ongoing process for a specific discount for a specific period of time. TSD regularly re-negotiates those discounts.

I know that when I started with the TSD Logistics program, the by far best discounts were with Love's. Some time ago, coincidentally, the Love's discount decreased significantly and the T/A discount increased significantly.

It's also interesting that just north of Richmond, there are two T/A stations 3.5 miles apart. Although they're both currently showing the same fuel price in the Open Roads App ($3.099), I have seen those stations sell fuel for different prices, albeit only a few cents different.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-05-2022, 08:59 PM   #20

Spartan Chassis
I'd like to share something that I have observed over the past year. I follow the commodities market and track things like diesel bulk (raw) prices as well as unleashed gas and last year the gap between the bulk prices and the pump prices was very wide. The reason for the wide gap was likely because these places were selling less volume therefore needed more profit per gal to keep afloat. However over the past year that gap has shrank as the volume rose. This means that companies like Loves and Petro now have a slimmer margin in which they can make a profit, especially when you figure in that transportation cost have risen also. This means that they can not offer the same discount for places like TSD and remain profitable. Looking at it from a business perspective hopefully helps make it more understandable.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #21

Roy

Actually the discount from Loves is slightly more than it has been for the past year. One of the other people who have posted on here have said the same thing. However, you may well be right.

Gary
Old 01-06-2022, 07:16 AM   #22

I traveled three months during August September and October through Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Texas and also was quite disappointed in what I was seeing on OpenRoads for prices when I needed fuel. Now, most of my travel was off the beaten path in Wyoming and New Mexico and my sense of the situation was that I was not traveling major interstates by and large and therefore, I was not finding myself near major large national brand truck stops, and instead, in those states, I was encountering smaller off brands small stations with truck pumps but not really a truck-stop and so was missing the major brand discounts like I am used to here with I-10 or I-20 or main east coach interstates. But there were at least two times where my guaranteed 5% off advertised price using my PenFed card was the best deal that I could find.... that is never the case in my home territory.

That is why I am asking the question. Until recently, unless I was off the beaten track of major interstates I could anticipate discounts, particularly at TA/Petro stations that were in, or around, 50 cents a gallon discount. Now, those are gone here, but sure would appreciate anyone who is traveling, tell me what they are encountering where they happen to be.

Now, it is true that at least until recently TSD supposedly negotiated station by station, but there was a great deal of consistency within a chain.... TA/Petro were within a penny or two of each other in the same area and TA/Petro were always about twice the discount given by Loves, Loves was never the lowest price or best discount, and Flying - J flopped around somewhere in between Loves 28 cents per gallon and TA/Petro's best price.

Gary
Old 01-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #23

We fueled up in Ehrenburg AZ about 2 weeks ago, independent truck stop. It’s on I-10 at the AZ/CA state line. Pump price was 3.89, with TSD paid 3.31
Old 01-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewrench View Post
We fueled up in Ehrenburg AZ about 2 weeks ago, independent truck stop. It’s on I-10 at the AZ/CA state line. Pump price was 3.89, with TSD paid 3.31
That is lower than gas station prices in FL. Currently $3.45 Speedway, Loves 3.309, which is a first that the truck stops are lower.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 01-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
As prices fluctuate, discounts do too. It is an ever-changing scenario as supply and demand vary. Might as well get used to it.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #26

Might look at it this way, I saved more money with it than without it the last two years of use.

Don’t really care where we get fuel as long as they are a high volume truck stop. If they are in contract with them, great, if not, we go the next best available.
I’ll preview possible fill up spots on the planned route but it’s my Co-pilot’s job to look while we are rolling.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:17 AM   #27

At least it gives us something to moan about.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #28

this is just a guess. but the use of 'discounts' is just a marketing ploy. the advertised prices are higher at a place with a large discount. it is the net price that you pay. so my guess is that as the cost of fuel has risen they have left the advertised price unchanged and simply lowered the discount. bottom line, you're simply paying more for fuel irrespective of how the net price is calculated.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel