Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2022, 04:57 PM   #1

What happened to our TSD diesel discounts??

I am wondering if anyone has any current understanding of what is going on with diesel fuel prices from TSD and EFS? I have been traveling since December 29th primarily in NW Louisiana, Houston, and Dallas areas and I have had to fuel twice and I have really been surprised at the lousy discount prices I have been encountering using the TSD and EFS Open Road app. I have been getting little discount that is more than ~ 30 cents a gallon. This includes TA and Petro Flying-J stations. I completed 3 months on the road from August to early November and during that trip and really for the past year, I have become accustomed to 30 cent discounts from Loves, but 50 to 60 cent discounts at TA/Petro. However, for the past week or 20 days, I have encountered much smaller discounts.

I am heading home tomorrow after getting a new windshield installed and will need to take on roughly 100-120 gallons of fuel when fuel. So, I spent a little time to look at stations that I have patronized every 3 weeks for the past year as I have traveled frequently in these same areas because of medical needs. Here is the data from early today. These are prices from Greenwood LA which I filled my tank every 3 weeks for the past year. TA was always best, Loves was usually worst and Flying-J almost as bad. Today, Love's discount in that area is best ???

TA Gas Buddy $3.32 TSD price: $3.073 discount: 24 cents
Loves: $3.29 TSD price: $2.969 discount: 32 cents
Petro: $3.35 TSD price:$2.989 discount: 36 cents

At these stations for the past year, I have been getting average TSD discounts of 50 – 75 cents per gallon (my memory) which was often close to twice the discount of Loves or Flying J and roughly twice as large as currently.

Is this some kind of anomaly that I am seeing here in Texas and Louisiana or is this a general trend? Has something happened to our good TSD discount with TA/Petro? What is everyone else seeing where you are?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
JMO: when I received my TSD card, diesel at my corner Speedway station was $1.98 a gallon. That same station today is $3.45. I don't think the spread is there currently for the large fuel card discounts.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
For a while, Loves was only giving a $0.16 discount. Last couple of times I've filled up at Loves it was back up to $.28-.30 per gallon. TA/Petro was better last summer but after the price jumps it looks like they've all cut back on discounts.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
They bought fuel in quantity to hedge pricing and now street pricing is much closer to the hedge. Results in much less of a discount. Use GasBuddy and you'll likely find similar discounts.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

TA Gas Buddy $3.32 TSD price: $3.073 discount: 24 cents
Loves: $3.29 TSD price: $2.969 discount: 32 cents
Petro: $3.35 TSD price:$2.989 discount: 36 cents

Gary
I can't wait to retire this year and get out of California. I just paid $4.89/Gal for diesel. Only got 40 gal. for $200.00. I'm in central CA...SOCAL is like a buck a gallon or more higher.

What are these discount programs you reference here and how does one sign up?
Old 01-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whenever I had a question about TSD discounts I would contact them directly. Apparently they now have a new email address that they would like us to use:
support@myopenroads.com
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:40 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
TSD is building back better, not to worry though.
It's only transitory.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
TSD is building back better, not to worry though.
It's only transitory.
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #9

Everything is up right now. Fossil fuels are at the top of the list but they aren't alone up there. I recently ordered stock from a local supplier that is coming from Italy where it is manufactured. ( US made is not available ) He told me that he can't give me an exact price until it gets here as the shipping costs for a cargo container have gone up twice last Fall $1,000 each time. It is a sad state of affairs we are in and the end doesn't seem to be in sight.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:05 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Look at the bright side; these fuel prices will thin the herd pretty quickly of all those that rushed out and bought an rv over the last two years "to go camping", and are "ghosting" campground reservations all over the place just to try to ensure they're first!
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Everything is up right now. Fossil fuels are at the top of the list but they aren't alone up there. I recently ordered stock from a local supplier that is coming from Italy where it is manufactured. ( US made is not available ) He told me that he can't give me an exact price until it gets here as the shipping costs for a cargo container have gone up twice last Fall $1,000 each time. It is a sad state of affairs we are in and the end doesn't seem to be in sight.
Steel products we use for solar arrays has doubled in a year. Yesterday I resumed building a steel building we started in 2020 and put on hold (pandemic) and found I needed a few more items. Most are double in price and a few are triple $$$ now.
And on that cargo container...that's IF they can find one!! One of our overseas shipments was delayed for several weeks because of container shortage.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:10 AM   #12

I'm well aware of the cost increases to end-user pricing. But my post was dealing with relative discounts and discount price comparison across companies.

Since I started TSD (~18 months ago), Loves has never been the lowest discount price and was usually half of what I could get at TA. Now the massive quantity discount explanation makes some sense to me, but like Chuck, when I bought my first Monaco about 2012, I was absolutely knocked over by roughly $4.40 per gallon diesel prices particularly when buying 120+ gallons of diesel at a clip.

I can easily understand price fluctuations, but my comment was directed at why discounts have dropped within the program.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Gary I can't answer the why, but I had the same experience Christmas week driving to the Orlando area and back. The Love's discount was up to around 30 cents and the TA was still 45-50 cents but started 10-15 cents higher making the end price about the same. So although the discount overall is not as good as a year ago, the convenience of more stations to obtain discounted fuel is a plus.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Iím disappointed with my TSD card. We went from Tucson to my home in Nebraska and only used the card once. That was because we wanted to try the card and make sure it worked, but the discount was meager. We were able to find diesel at the same price or a few pennies less than what the discounted price through TSD was and didnít need the card. I do like the pay at the pump feature, but in reality the roads we travel (I25 and I10 in the southwest) we can purchase fuel at the same or less than what having the card gets us. I guess itís nice to have the option, but so far havenít seen the big savings people claim over just shopping the price with gas buddy and my eyeballs as we travel down the road. I only frequent big rig places and not minimarts.

Tags
diesel