Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

What size telescoping ladder

For those that have bought a telescoping ladder what length ladder should I be shopping for? I would like it to reach several rungs past the top of the coach. I am thinking it needs to be about a 20 foot ladder? Also can anyone recommend a certain brand that is good quality for the cost? The Cornerstone that I am in the process of purchasing is right at 13 feet tall I believe. Thanks

Roy
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #2

The one I got is a little short, still useable but not ideal, I went cheap.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I don't like ladders but feel safer on a Little Giant. I have heard, not first hand, of the telescoping ones collapsing.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a 17' and it works but is heavy and a bit unwieldy when fully extended.

I can't climb up the straight RV Ladder, not enough arm strength left in my over-70's body. But with the angled telescoping ladder getting me up there it's easy.

I also bought one of those folding type of extension ladders which I now take in my RV instead. With the telescoping ladder I can't set it up like an 8" conventional ladder to work on things below the roof or even to clean the windshield. I got a 14' one of these and use it in conjunction with the RV ladder to get on the roof. I just lean it against the RV ladder and use the last few rungs of the RV ladder and the hoop handles to finish the climb.

The folding ladder is more versatile and in conjunction with the RV ladder works to climb to the roof, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 10.51.49 AM.png
Views:	58
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	351945  
Old 12-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #5

I have had both ,, the telescoping ladder same on BROBOX sent link out the pro version and the little giant that i picked up cheap at costco for 100 bucks .. I toted both for a year , used the telscoping one maybe twice but i didn't not feel stable in my mind .. i feel much more stable on the little giant . the little giant doesn't take up much more room in the basement. Ended up selling the telescoping one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I don't like ladders but feel safer on a Little Giant. I have heard, not first hand, of the telescoping ones collapsing.
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

My beaver is 12'6 at the top of the antennas I went with the 12.5 It goes above the drip rail and is plenty tall enough I have a fixed mount on the rear of the coach and use the telescoping on only from the sides. It is strong and safe and big enough without being to large to store. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BeaverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If I were going to buy a telescoping ladder I would buy about a 15-16'. You want the top of the ladder to extend above the top of the RV for stability getting on and off. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #8

If you get a telescoping ladder, those with a cross-bar on the bottom (see photo) are a lot more stable than those without, especially on soft or unlevel ground. Without the cross-bar, the legs can dig in and cause the entire ladder to shift. Conventional ladders don't have such small feet.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ladder.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	351950  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I thought that I may only use the telescoping ladder once or twice a year, because like others have a sturdy 24 foot ladder at home where I try to do my planned maintenance.

I looked at new telescoping ladder $$$ and then checked Craig’s List and FB Marketplace for lightly used 15.5 foot telescoping ladder. Looked at three and got a good one for $75 took me about two weeks.

The 15.5 foot telescoping ladder is not ideal but will do on the road or at a campground.

I store it in front of the generator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211221_110357m.jpg
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	351954  
Old 12-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #10

Easy answer Xtend and Climb 785P https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JIL4Z8/ works great though if you are planning to stand on it for long periods you may want to splurge on the pro model with the angled wrungs as the standard 785P hurts my feet after a while. They cost more than the cheap models, but they are a lot tougher see this review
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #11

Well after much research I am going with a little giant instead of the telescoping ladder. The cheaper telescoping ladders just don’t have really good reviews and the telescoping ladder with good reviews like the xtend and climb are 100 bucks+ more, about the same weight, and even though more compact not a great amount more compact. Also, the little giant can also be used as a stepladder. The telescoping ladders that also served as stepladders don’t have as good reviews as the little giant. Thanks to all above for all of the replies and suggestions.
T_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylandorsea View Post
I thought that I may only use the telescoping ladder once or twice a year, because like others have a sturdy 24 foot ladder at home where I try to do my planned maintenance.

I looked at new telescoping ladder $$$ and then checked Craig’s List and FB Marketplace for lightly used 15.5 foot telescoping ladder. Looked at three and got a good one for $75 took me about two weeks.

The 15.5 foot telescoping ladder is not ideal but will do on the road or at a campground.

I store it in front of the generator.

How did you mount this in front of your generator? Would save some space in the basement. Pics would be awesome!
Old 12-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wanderers View Post
How did you mount this in front of your generator? Would save some space in the basement. Pics would be awesome!
I saw someone posted that they stored a telescoping ladder, when I looked in front of my generator I found an empty spot with a bottom plate and sides that easily allows the ladder to fit. Sorry I have no other pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211221_110501m.jpg
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	351984   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211221_110506m.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	351985  

Old 12-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Roy View Post
Well after much research I am going with a little giant instead of the telescoping ladder. The cheaper telescoping ladders just don’t have really good reviews and the telescoping ladder with good reviews like the xtend and climb are 100 bucks+ more, about the same weight, and even though more compact not a great amount more compact. Also, the little giant can also be used as a stepladder. The telescoping ladders that also served as stepladders don’t have as good reviews as the little giant. Thanks to all above for all of the replies and suggestions.

I own both the Xtend and climb 785P and the Little Giant M22 22 ft ladder, the 785P is much smaller and will fit in my cargo bays where the M22 will not, of course the 785P is also shorter than the M22 (they make shorter Little Giant ladders too)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote