Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbatwell View Post
I have a question, since I am a little dense sometimes. If the jacks have raised the drive wheels off of the ground, isn't the weight on the jacks going to keep you from rolling?
The jacks are designed to lift in the vertical direction, and once the coach is level, all is good. However, during raising or lowering, if the weight is off the drive wheels, but the coach isn't level yet, there will be a torque on the jack that it's not designed for and it is possible to bend the jack as the rig tries to 'roll' backwards since the jack is the only thing preventing it from rolling.

That's why they say never raise the drive wheels with the jacks. If you want to do it anyway, chock the front wheels!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe I am a bit paranoid - OK I am

But we never lift the wheels off the ground. I would be concerned about the stability of all that weight on the jacks. Even a slight shift could torque the jacks and that would be a big problem. Once or twice we weren't quite level unless the wheels were off the ground so we just adjusted until they were and then lived with it for the one night. Obviously not a good solution for long-term stays
Old 10-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan said lifting either/both back side wheels off the ground is a definite no-no. They said the only thing keeping that 40,000 lb RV from rolling is those puny jacks. I did raise the back end up once on a terrible campsite, before I knew better, the RV skidded on those jacks and scared the hell out of me. Never again.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's a simple technique (learned at Spartan Academy) that will work in some instances if you end up with the dreaded "excessive slope" warning or wheels off the ground after auto leveling. Manually retract your jacks (not auto retract), then hit "auto level" again. Since the airbags are deflated, your jacks are ~6" closer to the ground and may be enough to keep your wheels on the ground. Another option is to place jack pads under the tires.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #19

I always dump twice when leveling. I hit auto-level, and let the air bleed out until the jacks start to try to work. Then I retract all, then do it again. It takes two cycles for the suspension to bleed flat. If I just do one the leveling system sometimes wants to lift the wheels.