Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #1

Where to carry 20 pound propane tank

2022 Anthem 44f here.

We have a propane fire pit and a Coleman foldable grill that we carry with us in the basement storage for a good time at camp. We started with the 1lb bottles, which worked great for the grill, but not so much for the fire.

I moved to a 5lb tank with carrier, and when driving from Phoenix to Dallas through Flagstaff in the winter, the 5lb tank leaked and actually soaked the carpet and ruined some cardboard boxes we had near it.

Now I don't want this 5lb tank anymore as I don't trust it. After doing some reading, (lots of conflicting info out there) I can't tell if the overfill protection devices are on all the 5's, but feel confident they are on all the 20's, so we have purchased a 20lb to use instead. (Bonus, longer campfires).

After conducting 2 days of research on how to transport the tank safely, I am at a loss. The only agreed upon methods I have seen are to carry it in a vented cabinet (None on the Anthem I am aware of but are common on Class C's and towable), on a hitch mounted storage tray which we can't use since we are towing our jeep, or in the bed of the tow vehicle or when a truck is used as a toad.

Considering none of these will work for an Anthem towing a Jeep, I'm wondering what others in my situation do for their propane needs on a BBQ grill/fire pit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #2

Propane Cylinders should be transported securely and in a Well ventilated area.

Cylinders can have 100--250 psi normal pressures.
20# at 70*F will have 145 psi
Heat will increase the internal pressures
Relief Valves WILL OPEN and flood any area with propane vapor
*Propane expands 270:1 (liquid to vapor)

Propane is heavier then Air so it will accumulate in low places ---hence the reason MH Tanks are open areas and Trailer Cylinders have vented compartment bottoms (5th wheels) or mounted in the open on trailer tongues

Where you chose to carry is your decision......
*Some folks that tow carry them inside the toad.

One can 'modify' a storage compartment by installing Vents to allow for adequate venting should cylinder relief valve open

Here are some discussions on Venting
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/comp...ks-569893.html
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ven...nk-552206.html

Some folks have a Quick Connection on their existing MH LP System that they use to connect an LP Hose to BBQ/Fire Pits
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post
2022 Anthem 44f here.

... carry it in a vented cabinet (None on the Anthem I am aware of but are common on Class C's and towable), on a hitch mounted storage tray which we can't use since we are towing our jeep...
I carry mine on a hitch mounted rack on the motorhome, attached to the top receiver of a dual hitch receiver (Roadmaster 077-4) - then I attach the towbar to the lower receiver on the Roadmaster and tow my Jeep along that way. Works fine, lasts a long time.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:08 PM   #4

I have seen many motorhome guys who just have a 20# tank sitting in an old plastic milk delivery basket (to keep the tank vertical and that bin in their basement. However, that has always given me the willies on fire hazard or explosion potential so I only carry those small propane cylinders (1#?) and I keep three of those in the basement locker on top of the water tanks or in the Honda when towing.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
What's on the back of the Jeep? How about a hitch mounted storage tray on the Jeep. I like the milk crate solution, easy to tie down.
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:04 AM   #6

Just thinking and tossing this out. Lots of smart folks here to add to or point out problems.

As opposed to venting the storage compartment, Could a fitting and hose be connected to the tank and then let hose discharge outside of the compartment? Thinking if the over pressure valve released propane the hose would carry the propane to the outside and keep it out of storage bays completely.
Papa Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:10 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
You would have to rig up a connection to the relief vent. It does not vent through the main connection.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Brad View Post
Just thinking and tossing this out. Lots of smart folks here to add to or point out problems.

As opposed to venting the storage compartment, Could a fitting and hose be connected to the tank and then let hose discharge outside of the compartment? Thinking if the over pressure valve released propane the hose would carry the propane to the outside and keep it out of storage bays completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandWendy View Post
You would have to rig up a connection to the relief vent. It does not vent through the main connection.
Later...
Ray
If Relief Valve opens.....250# + with a HUGE Vapor cloud (270:1 expansion)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
When we tow the pickup it's in the bed; when we tow the Jeep it's in the back of the GC, behind the back seat.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:41 PM   #10

A Milk Crate works perfectly to stabilize a propane tank.

As for storage in a vented spot - maybe hang a basket off the back of Jeep?

Somewhat related - since many of us no longer have propane on board any one try to adapt a firepit to Diesel instead of Propane? Or just go electric
Old 03-18-2023, 08:11 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe take a hint from the boating community. The ABYC has a clearly defined set of propane installation rules. In this case you are only talking about the tank and not any appliances, so just a sealed compartment section or separate container that drains thru the cargo floor. I think the ABYC rule is a minimum 1" drain. You could just use a marine style bilge pump thru hull fitting installed in the floor of the cargo bay plumbed to the sealed container. You can buy a commercial propane locker but they are expensive. It should be a fairly simple project to build something. I built one from a Coleman cooler on a sailboat I owned once, it even passed ABYC inspection at the survey when I sold it.
voltdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
If Relief Valve opens.....250# + with a HUGE Vapor cloud (270:1 expansion)

The cylinder relief valve releases vapor, not liquid, so no 270:1 expansion.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:36 AM   #13

I have a fifth wheel and carry a 30 pound extra tank. I've moved it to different locations. I found the best solution is the front compartment under the King Pin. It's not a sealed enclosed area. I do not have a generator in that spot, and the floor has never been punched out for a generator. But there are slots where the bottom can be punched out. These slots allow air in, air out. So, that's where I carry it now.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #14

The back of our jeep has a bike rack with multiple bikes

Tags
propane, tank