Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Yep; Nautilus will NOT be towable. We're looking at the MKT. A little bigger and spendier than the MKX, but still towable. We have really liked our Ford Flex, but when we looked at the new ones it appears that they have been cheapened (especially interior fit/finish) proportionally to the price escalation.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I was wondering if the Nautilus would be allowed to be towed four down and I found this...

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...n_r1_Jul13.pdf

Scroll down to the Nautilus and in the bottom right it says that the twin-turbo-charged version can be towed four down.

Mark
Mark,

Thanks for that bit of info. I’ve asked my dealer for a clarification so we’ll see what he comes back with. Stew, this would appear to resolve both of our issues with the MKX/Nautilus.

Ed
Old 01-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #17

We have been towing 2013 Ford C-Max and a 2016 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 for the past two years. Mostly use the Ram since we can also put the motorcycle in the back and it’s more comfortable for us and the dogs on side trips. Good luck on you search!!
Dave.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. I think the car that makes the most sense for us is to convert the MKX or even go for the new Nautilus that Lincoln replaced the MKX with. Our concerns with the MKX as a toad were the stopping limitations, but I should be stopping in less than every six hours anyway so it shouldn’t be a major issue. I’m not sure if we should bother with the Remco pump for the transmission or if it shouldn’t be an issue if we stop within the six hour suggested time frame.
I tow an MKX and it tows great. In 16 years of towing, I’ve never driven even close to 6 hours without stopping. Why not use what you have? If you need more space, tow the Enclave instead. On the other hand if you are in the mood for something new, the Jeeps have fewer speed and time limitations than what you own. None of the vehicles you mentioned are usable with or require the Remco lube pump.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
We pull both the Lincoln MKX and the Lincoln MKZ. Both pull great and do everything we need. The mkz is a hybred and gets 40 mpg so that is the one we choose to take most of the time. Either one is a good choice
Old 01-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #20

My dealer sent me the Lincoln 2019 Tow Guide and it states that the Nautilus is NOT towable four down. It doesn't give the twin turbo as one that is towable four down. It gets confusing when one part of Ford says yes and the other part says no. Maybe we'll just use the Enclave and forget about towing the Nautilus.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #21

Thanks for the update from the dealer.

At first, the Continental was towable then not. We also bought an '18 Continental in Oct. of '17 but with no intention of towing it.

That is one cool car with electric door handles and 30 way power seats.

I have to say, having a string of German cars for 30 yrs., the two Lincoln's we have now have been flawless except the Continental needed the passenger map light replaced. Otherwise, we are happy with the two new American cars we've had in years.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Thanks for the update from the dealer.

At first, the Continental was towable then not. We also bought an '18 Continental in Oct. of '17 but with no intention of towing it.

That is one cool car with electric door handles and 30 way power seats.

I have to say, having a string of German cars for 30 yrs., the two Lincoln's we have now have been flawless except the Continental needed the passenger map light replaced. Otherwise, we are happy with the two new American cars we've had in years.

Mark
Mark, we have had a similar experience with our Lincolns. They have been great with zero issues. That's the reason that my preference is that the Nautilus will be towable four down. My dealer has asked for direct clarification from Lincoln so hopefully I will have some final word on this one way or the other.

Ed
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
My dealer sent me the Lincoln 2019 Tow Guide and it states that the Nautilus is NOT towable four down. It doesn't give the twin turbo as one that is towable four down. It gets confusing when one part of Ford says yes and the other part says no. Maybe we'll just use the Enclave and forget about towing the Nautilus.
Lincoln information is confusing and contradictory. I have seen an online copy of a Nautilus owner's manual that clearly states that all models of the the Nautilus ARE towable four-down. They introduced the Continental with four-down towing approval, then rescinded it. Is that what they are doing with the Nautilus?

If Nautilus is not towable, consider a used late model or leftover 2018 MKX, which is similar to the Nautilus and definitely towable.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
My dealer sent me the Lincoln 2019 Tow Guide and it states that the Nautilus is NOT towable four down.
Hi Ed,

Get out the checkbook and go shopping. Here's a link to the 2019 Nautilus owner's manual: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_08_2018.pdf

Check page 280 which contains this:

Recreational Towing
Note: Put your climate control system in
recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust
fumes from entering your vehicle. See
Climate Control (page 140).
Follow these guidelines if you have a need
for recreational (RV) towing. An example of
recreational towing would be towing your
vehicle behind a motorhome. These
guidelines are designed to ensure that your
transmission is not damaged.
Your vehicle can be towed with all four
wheels on the ground using the Stay in
Neutral mode feature, or with all four wheels
off the ground using a vehicle transport
trailer. If you are using a vehicle transport
trailer, follow the instruction specified by the
equipment provider.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels
on the ground:
• Tow only in the forward direction.
• Release the parking brake.
• Place the vehicle in Stay in Neutral mode.
See Automatic Transmission (page 191).
• Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h).
Note: If the parking brake is applied, a
message appears in the information display.
Note: Start the engine and allow it to run for
a few minutes at the beginning of each day,
and every six hours or fewer. With the engine
running and your foot on the brake, shift into
drive (D) and then into reverse (R) before
shifting back into neutral (N). BEFORE
CONTINUING TO TOW, YOU MUST
RE-ENABLE STAY IN NEUTRAL MODE.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #25

Just a note, our '18 Continental does not have the 'Neutral Tow Mode' choice in the menu like the MKX has.

So, if the Nautilus has the 'Neutral Tow Mode' in the menu, I would think that's a good indication.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #26

We love our toad!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #27

I was told that the new Natilus and Edge have gone to the 9 speed tranny and that tranny is not towable. So that is probably where research should be focused. Previously they came with a towable 6 speed tranny.
GM is the same problem. Have to get the 6 speed, not the 8 speed.

To me, Jeep Wranglers are overpriced and ride like crap. I'd only have one if I was going to offroad a lot.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I was told that the new Natilus and Edge have gone to the 9 speed tranny and that tranny is not towable. So that is probably where research should be focused. Previously they came with a towable 6 speed tranny.
GM is the same problem. Have to get the 6 speed, not the 8 speed.
If that’s the case, then why does the Nautilus owners manual include instructions on how to tow it?

Tags
toad