Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #113

For real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Spartan now has DEF heads in stock!
Greetings,you are saying that Spartan now has replacement def heads available??if so what circumstances are required to get one??broke down and towed?? Thanks joe b 2019 ka
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedoggs View Post
Greetings,you are saying that Spartan now has replacement def heads available??if so what circumstances are required to get one??broke down and towed?? Thanks joe b 2019 ka

There was an email posted from Spartan said they would have DEF heads early July and anyone with all the codes showing even before it detracted can get it replaced. However, since that email some have called Spartan and been told it will be August, so the drama continues.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #115

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
There was an email posted from Spartan said they would have DEF heads early July and anyone with all the codes showing even before it detracted can get it replaced. However, since that email some have called Spartan and been told it will be August, so the drama continues.
I'd be curious if the reason of the lack of availability is due to most of them going to the MH manufacturers instead of making sure enough is available for the owners having problems! IMHO the manufacturers care more for profit so would pressure them to ship them so they can sell more MHs....
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #116

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We were half way to Summerfest when it hit. We turned around until the stop engine light came on. Got towed the last 200 miles. FMCA Roadside paid for 100 miles.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #117

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3509 View Post
We were half way to Summerfest when it hit. We turned around until the stop engine light came on. Got towed the last 200 miles. FMCA Roadside paid for 100 miles.
Harold, sure sorry your trip was ruined as well. To hopefully help others, how far did your get before de-rate? What has Spartan said about the replacement Def head?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:02 AM   #118

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My DEF code was 1761, Tank level sensor, plus a bunch of other codes pointing to communications errors. The Tech said those were just noise, the 1761 was the one. If you get the 1569 code then your derate clock is ticking, and I have not found anyone who can tell you how much time you have. One Tech told me 100 to 1000 miles is what he's heard from owners.
I got about 100 miles when I started noticing a torque derate. 200 miles and I was up in the mountains with some serious issues (I told my wife she's going to have to get in the towed and push me up the hills). 250 miles and I made the mistake of shutting off the engine because I didn't want it to idle and soot up the engine. When I started it back up I got the shutdown message. One Tech had me hooked up to the computer and said my soot level was real low, just don't idle it because if you get into a Regen mode it can't do it because it thinks it doesn't have the DEF.
Don't bother calling Cummins for help, they just push you off to the nearest dealer. They won't help DIY. Spartan was very sympathetic but just doesn't have the parts. They are building chassis without the DEF tank for now. One day they told us July, next day they told us August. Shaw only sells to OEM and said they make over 50 custom tank designs and head configurations. So what Tiffin uses will not fit Spartan or Freightliner.
We made it back to our summer lot in Creede, CO with the help of a lowboy trailer. So now we just have to wait it out with the rest of you.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #119

Entegra Owners Club
Harold, thank you for that update. I was told by a person a Spartan, 60 to 800 miles before de-rate. I also heard if trying to make it somewhere, do not shut the engine off. The ECM computer thinks you made it and shuts the system down. You proved that is a true fact. It looks like Spartans letter was a bunch of words with no mean as no DEF heads are coming soon as stated.

I hope Entegra is taking notice that their coaches cannot even make it to their events without their vendors parts failing over and over. I think yours is the third coach that I have seen posted that had to turn around. Not a good ratio for one event.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Harold, thank you for that update. I was told by a person a Spartan, 60 to 800 miles before de-rate. I also heard if trying to make it somewhere, do not shut the engine off. The ECM computer thinks you made it and shuts the system down. You proved that is a true fact. It looks like Spartans letter was a bunch of words with no mean as no DEF heads are coming soon as stated.

I hope Entegra is taking notice that their coaches cannot even make it to their events without their vendors parts failing over and over. I think yours is the third coach that I have seen posted that had to turn around. Not a good ratio for one event.
Brobox delivers a stunning right cross! And the crowd goes wild!!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #121

Entegra Owners Club
We too are missing Spearfish and Gillette. Left drive axle air bag failed. (Thread hijack)
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #122

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Best info I have seen on how far you might be able to get when you get the dreaded def head failure. At least now I know if I am a several hundred miles from home or destination I might try to drive on without parking.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:17 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
We too are missing Spearfish and Gillette. Left drive axle air bag failed. (Thread hijack)
Not a thread hijack Stew. I'm sure that air bag failed because you filled the DEF tank from that side of the coach using a truck stop pump.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #124

Harold and Sandy
It sounds like I was incorrect that the Def head issue is unique to Anthem models built later than 2016. We purchased our 44B new in May, 2016 on a Spartan chassis built in 2015...based on some earlier forum comments, I had assumed that the Shaw issue was not common to coaches of this vintage. Obviously, your experience contradicts my assumption.
Guess I need to start worrying!!!
Old 07-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #125

2017 Aspire 44B with 7500miles

Just got the dreaded DEF head failure on June 29. Called Spartan and was informed to park the coach and wait til August for replacement DEF head.... So 2 MONTHS of PRIME camping time gone!!!!
Old 07-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #126

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb71631 View Post
Just got the dreaded DEF head failure on June 29. Called Spartan and was informed to park the coach and wait til August for replacement DEF head.... So 2 MONTHS of PRIME camping time gone!!!!
I hope you will join others in filing a complaint with the NHTSA with hopes we can get this investigated. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def...sa-518276.html

Tags
travel