Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I was routinely programming main-frame computers in 1966....... So. OK, maybe it was the early to mid 70s before I had one in the house ......but I go back to cards and paper tape and a teletype style paper tape puncher for laboratory storage of collected data. Sorry I jumped the gun by 5 or 6 years :

Gary
Sorry, Gary. My post was NOT meant to cast doubt on your timeline, and I thought "trail blazer" was a compliment.
My first "home computer" was a Kaypro -or maybe it was just Kpro, which was a metal cabinet that had the removable keyboard buckled to protect the screen. I can't remember the capacity of the "floppy disk" it used for storage. That was probably early to mid-80s, and it was replaced by the Radio Shack TRS ??
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #128

Didnt take it that way Ed.... I remember the K-Pro (however it was spelled). A number of colleagues bought those and they were a nice package with everything contained in the one rectangular box. My memory for years is not getting better, but pretty good still for stages of career or life. If I am wrong on timelines, please excuse me.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #129

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
I was routinely programming main-frame computers in 1966. I was programming my major professor's 4K RAM Data General Laboratory computer in 1969. I bought my first Radio Shack TRS-80 in ~1975 or 76 and followed it with a pair of personal Apple IIe-s that I think that I bought in 1976 or 7 with two 5.25" floppy drives and printers for ~ $3,500 a piece. So. OK, maybe it was the early to mid 70s before I had one in the house but I go back to cards and paper tape and a teletype style paper tape puncher for laboratory storage of collected data. Sorry I jumped the gun by 5 or 6 years (based on memory, which may have a few inaccuracies buried in it).

I clearly remember my first big hard drive. It was a Data General MINC two removable disks floor model drive that I had to write a federal research grant to buy because it was $45,000 (early 80s money?) and hung on a PDP-1123 minicomputer. The removable disks were (wait for this...... ) 10 Megs each ( !! ) and there were 2 of them and they cost around $350 each !!!! When you filled those 20 Megs with data, you could pull them out and put in two more 10 Meg discs.... truly amazing !! Excuse the reminiscing. Like many of you, we have lived through the entire development of the vacuum tube main frames, digital main frames, minicomputers, and microcomputers, and now the 256 Gig Apple 11 iPhone. Wow.... in one lifetime............... One lifetime! --

Excuse the digression. Its late

Gary

You're making me take a trip back in time.
My first hard drive was 5Meg and I thought (probably like most), what the heck could I ever have that would use all that space
I built my first computer with a Xerox 820 (CPM machine) motherboard that they dumped on the market. Couldn't easily find all the parts such as keyboard, to do it. But eventually I did. It used those huge floppy drives that held 76K of data. Clunk, clunk........
Amazing how far we've come....

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #130

Quote:
Didnt take it that way Ed.... I remember the K-Pro (however it was spelled). A number of colleagues bought those and they were a nice package with everything contained in the one rectangular box. My memory for years is not getting better, but pretty good still for stages of career or life. If I am wrong on timelines, please excuse me.

Gary
Well, if it makes anyone feel better I get confused about decades as well

My first exposure to PCs was the IBM PC XT the company I worked for bought sometime in the early to mid 80s. As I remember the computer, a dot matrix printer, Peachtree accounting, dBase II, and Lotus 123 came in at about $7000.

I was a bookkeeper at the time, and the owner decided we were going to computerize and assigned that job to me despite the fact that I knew nothing about computers.

At the time I thought it was horribly unjust to put that additional responsibility on me with no additional pay. But I took on the challenge, and it changed my life.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #131

Suggest this thread be moved to the Tech Forum.

Is there a Vintage Tech Forum?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #132

After getting discharged from the NAVY in early 1976 went to college -----Drafting

Mid semster teacher approached me about a Job Opportunity with Sperry Rand
Being jobless, going to college I jumped at the chance.
At interview the Superviosr in the drafting department handed me some block diagrams, pointed to a drawing table and said "Lay out a Logic Board" and "Let me know when you are done"

Got hired and started that following Monday.
1 year later after being a robot....8AM start/10Am break/10:10 Start/12AM Lunch/3PM break/4:30 Stop-----and realizing that in 15 yrs I might make rotation to #1 desk I quit.

1980 went to work for SCE in power plants.
Computer controls consisted of Large racks of stepping relays. Banks of them.
Over the next 22 yrs controls were upgraded to Honeywell Systems
(But it was like putting a new steering wheel on a Model T-----plant systems/equipment was still 1965/66 era)

Got my first computer in 2006 along with 1st cell phones...flip phones
Still have same.

Dinosaur........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Why do some feel the need to say, "well I don't do that", or "that doesn't affect me"?
Those making informative observations or posting mods that are beneficial to some just may not be for everyone.
That's understood, but is it really necessary to say "I don't worry about that" when there are other who clearly benefit?
Geez... This thing has been running for over a hundred posts already?
How did I miss it???

The answer is simple DeWat...
Occasionally some of the stuff asked or discussed is so asinine that it is obviously a set-up.
You know... A thread that's more "click-bait" that an actual RVing question.

When a thread goes into "idiot mode" its hard NOT to post a cynical reply.
Sometimes its fun to fish them along by giving them the answer they want to hear (even though you know its incorrect), and other times you can be dead honest with a reply (which can really get the sparks flying).

Great thread ya' started here DeWat, and as usual, the off-topic stuff and side-comments are what make it well worth the read!

Hope the above was a viable contribution to your thread.
Best regards,
-Jake-

PS, As a non-Entegra owner I already broke a rule just by reading this thread.
Sorry & thanks!
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
Geez... This thing has been running for over a hundred posts already?
How did I miss it???

The answer is simple DeWat...
Occasionally some of the stuff asked or discussed is so asinine that it is obviously a set-up.
You know... A thread that's more "click-bait" that an actual RVing question.

When a thread goes into "idiot mode" its hard NOT to post a cynical reply.
Sometimes its fun to fish them along by giving them the answer they want to hear (even though you know its incorrect), and other times you can be dead honest with a reply (which can really get the sparks flying).

Great thread ya' started here DeWat, and as usual, the off-topic stuff and side-comments are what make it well worth the read!

Hope the above was a viable contribution to your thread.
Best regards,
-Jake-

PS, As a non-Entegra owner I already broke a rule just by reading this thread.
Sorry & thanks!
Interesting perspectives.

Rest assured that no rules are broken when reading or posting in an open forum.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #135

Man I'm glad this thread is still running.........

Needed to bump my post count for today and this thread is great place to do it cause you don't really have to post anything of value

Woo-Hoo!
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #136

That is like when someone ask how far to drive in a day, all the roof people say what is your hurry? They only drive from 10am until 1pm or something like that. Yeah, we get it, you are retired, not everybody is though so some want to ask how far to drive.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
That is like when someone ask how far to drive in a day, all the roof people say what is your hurry? They only drive from 10am until 1pm or something like that. Yeah, we get it, you are retired, not everybody is though so some want to ask how far to drive.

Roof people???

Never understood how far someone else drives in a day affects me and how far I drive
Old 10-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #138

Quote:
What do you suppose they want to hear. Travel 600 miles every day of your holiday. I tell people to travel between 2 to 300 miles so that you can stop and enjoy the scenery your are passing through instead of blazing by everything to get to one destination. Maybe we all have done that, and have learned the better way. Take a shorter trip and enjoy it, instead of spending three weeks driving so you can see one thing. Wahoo, one more in my post count. As usual, the thread is drifting more than a kid with a sports car and worn out tires.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #139

Quote:
Funny and timely. We planned a 900-mile trip, and my wife didn't want to do it in two days. So I scheduled a stop at 350 miles yesterday and today and plan 200 tomorrow.

So ......
Yesterday we stopped at 2:00 after 350 miles
Today we stopped at 2:30 (crossed a time zone) after a 350 mile drive

Now she's complaining that we stopped so early
Old 10-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #140

I’m going to start one and ask “What do you think causes topic drift?”