Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
WiFi extender installation

Has anyone installed an antenna on roof of Entegra Coach for a WiFi antenna. If so how did you run the cable to the inside. I have plans to install both WiFi and cell phone booster on my 2017 Aspire. So I will need to fish 2 coax cables inside.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's what I have done.

Ham and Wi-Fi antennas mounted on rear ladder. Cables routed down the ladder and looped under the rear cap and into a rear-most storage compartment. So no need to make holes in coach body or roof.

Cable for Wi-Fi then goes through the top of storage compartment into a rear closet. WiFi interior router mounted in the closet.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That would be a good solution but Entegra did not come with a ladder. Thanks for your response.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Not specific to Entegra, but a few suggestions:

-Choose an interior cabinet that you can use, or use part of, as a Communication Command Cabinet (CCC). Factor the need of separation for the roof top and then interior antenna (attenuation) for the cellular amp, when choosing the location. (Read the specs of the unit you're considering, as this distance vertical and horizontal can vary between amps.). Also when choosing the CCC, factor how easy it is to feed 12V and possibly 115V power to the area, as well as cable feeds from the antenna.

On our CC, we have a bedroom cabinet just behind the wall to the bathroom, it's ~8 from the rear of the coach. Had 12V handy and was a short feed to the AC ducts (Commonly used to feed antenna cables runs for the interior repeater antenna of a cellular amp.).

-Roof penetration. Choose a location with either a straight shot down to the CCC. Or, to a location within the coach that you can then fish the cables thru interior cabinets to reach the CCC. One important tip, is to think future proofing, by making a 'conduit' feed larger then you need. Technology is always changing, and I think within the last 7 years, I've run or changed out at least 6 cable feeds from the roof to the CCC as technology dictated updates to equipment and or antenna. (MIMO antenna feed was my latest one.). We use a Solar Panel Combiner Box, with I believe it is a 1 1/4" conduit feeding out of the bottom into the rear of the coach. Mounted just over the rear corner of the closet, and is used as the conduit path for communication related cables, as well as a second combiner box is used for our solar panel cabling feed. Drilled 1" holes thru the bottom back portions between three or for cabinets, to fish the cables as well as power bar 115V over to the CCC area.

Pricey, but the AM Solar combiner box is a good quality product. Sealing around the box with RTV Sealant before placement, provides water proofing. 6-7 years now, without any leakage problems. And, I did add a parameter seal of sealant around the front edges where the combiner box meets the roof. Probably not needed, as I had enough RTV Sealant on the roof before squishing the combiner box down snug, so much, that it worked it's way out on multiple locations. Used that with my finger, and added more, to put a bead around the outside parameter.

-For roof top. If you're choose antenna requires a ground plane. Look at Home Depot or Lowes. I found 8" x 10" pieces of galvanized sheeting in the roofing section. I painted these white with Rustoleum spray, to match our white roof. And used dabs of RTV Sealant to attach them to the roof. For a 16" X 20" ground plane.

-On the inside repeater antenna, we fished over to the AC ducting (Again my CCC was also chosen because its as within 12-14" of one of the ducting registers. Remove the register, and it helps when your fishing over to the CCC. Then a straight shot thru the ducting to the front of the coach. Choose a location again by a front register, near a kitchen cabinet, about mid ship (And with enough separation to the rear outside antenna.). Again removed the register, and fished over to the cabinet and then mounted the interior antenna on the outside of this cabinet.

Note: This is with a cellular amp that has a pretty good range of coverage inside the coach. Those amps, say WeBoost with the 'Candy Bar' repeater antenna that are designed to be within close proximity to the device, takes a different strategy. For those, I like the CCC being located far enough from the rear roof top antenna, to allow usage of either internal antenna amp approach. (Using a in coach WiFi repeater, like WiFiRanger or Pepwave, for in the coach component usage.) The down side, is if you are needing to use the cellular amp to make a phone call, or send a text, in a marginal coverage area - you may have to go stand near the CCC and pull the candy bar internal antenna out and hold it the phone for the call!

A good resource on the establishment of a CCC approach, is the RVMOBILEINTERNET site.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My cables come in through the front cap, right into the awning/window shade panel. I just drilled another hole and used a stainless cover plate from a boat supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_105226.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	185714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_105151.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	185715  

Name:	20170822_105250.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	185716  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

Your Aspire is prewired for both the Winegard Trav’ler and their Inmotion satellite dish.

If you have the Trav’ler, find where the wires go into the roof. From that location, there is a 3 legged vent cap to the rear and closer to the awning.

In the attached image you will see a Grey, white, and 2 black coax cables. The Grey and white is what was installed by Entegra.

Remove this vent cap and remove the expanding foam insulation, and you will locate a coax that leads down to the A/V cabinet above and behind the co-Pilot. There is a second coax in that location that I think runs to the back of the coach (although I can’t remember precisely).

I have my David Bott setup that lives in the A/V cabinet. Once in a great while I will try for Park WiFi and then I can move and aim it. Being inside the coach doesn’t matter much in terms of dB of the WiFi. I’ve tried it outside and it results in the same reception strength.

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	77150F93-0510-4DAF-967C-84D27C8E1FA3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	185736  
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
Has anyone installed an antenna on roof of Entegra Coach for a WiFi antenna. If so how did you run the cable to the inside. I have plans to install both WiFi and cell phone booster on my 2017 Aspire. So I will need to fish 2 coax cables inside.
I would wait for the Combo WiFi 4G booster comming out in mid Jan from Winegard.
Looks Promissing.
Winegard Connect 2.0
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, wifi