Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #29

From what I understand Thor doesn't have much say in Entegras quality. I heard it was one of the conditions of the sale.
ejl822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #30

Ditto on the windows. They are drafty, and they do not open very far.

I did work on the "don't open that far." Tracked down replacement closing arms that are longer, and a longer prop for the bedroom escape window.

The sliders is my 07 Monaco were much better windows.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Ditto on the windows. They are drafty, and they do not open very far.

I did work on the "don't open that far." Tracked down replacement closing arms that are longer, and a longer prop for the bedroom escape window.

The sliders is my 07 Monaco were much better windows.
There are two types of drafts; those from wind air pressure and convective drafts. Nothing we can do about convection with an aluminum window.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #32

My first Fall night in my Casita convinced me to change out the windows to a glazed double pane. The new ones are wonderful.
salbers12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #33

We got some reflectix and cut pieces to fit each window. Works surprisingly well (i.e., helps enough to make a noticeable difference). It is cheap, lightweight and easy to cut with scissors. Also easier and cheaper than getting new windows.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #34

RV windows bad.

Fortunately, that has not been my experience. Maybe we are just lucky. We have a 20 yr old Dutch Star. It has double pain everywhere except the windshield and drivers slider. I find the coach amazingly secure from drafts, well insulated and very quiet. Very little outside sound gets in. I am here in NC with temps down to the low 20’s. We can maintain reasonable temps with just 2 small space heaters one on 1500 watts and one in bedroom on 750 Watts. Sometimes after coming home and the coach is chilly because we turned the heaters down. We will give the furnace a 10 min blast to take the chill out and that’s about all we need from it. Sorry that you are having window issues.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
We got some reflectix and cut pieces to fit each window. Works surprisingly well (i.e., helps enough to make a noticeable difference). It is cheap, lightweight and easy to cut with scissors. Also easier and cheaper than getting new windows.
Radiant barriers are great for a single purpose to reflect heat back to it's source Stopping drafts is not one of it's attributes
Old 01-07-2021, 09:21 PM   #36

All my windows have weep holes, two or three per window. I put a piece of Scotch tape over all the weep holes. It has to be replaced every couple of years. So far no problem with moisture building up on the inside of the windows. If it ever does, I will cut a slit in the Scotch tape with a razor blade.
H Steinhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:14 AM   #37

Well, it actually can block drafts as it is waterproof.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
This is my third Entegra and all three of them have cold, drafty windows. Simply said, they suck and are just not suitable for cold weather. I mean I realize that most people stay in warmer climates and that is what these are designed for but c'mon man (coined in jest).

I have been in the window business for 45+ years. I have used a variety of styles, wood, fiberglass vinyl hybrids and so on. Aluminum frames conduct cold and radiate it into a home. I really wish the industry would look into better frame materials or just move to solid glass IGU's fitted into a non conductive frame.

When you look at the weather stripping around our windows you will see the bulb seals. They should compress a little when you squeeze them shut. They don't. They barley make contact. The window behind my drivers seat is forced open along the leading edge by the wind when driving causing a hell of a racket. This was the case in both of my previous coaches. Then there is a flat strip which sits on the perimeter outboard of the bulb seal. It's present on the sides and top but non existent on the bottom. Presumably this is design to allow water to weep out. However if you look at the frame, the there are no weep holes so water would just lay in the channel. It's a terrible design.

Looking at tiffins here on both sides of me they have a different design. Not sure what year, but they appear to have a frame with a flush (to the sidewall) sash. Ours sit on top of the side walls. This makes them more vulnerable to air penetration, imo, especially along the bottom where there is no weather stripping at all (as mentioned above). you can shine a light underneath and see it from inside. They really need to rethink this.

Awning windows with a proper frame and sash, by design are the least air infiltrated window in the industry because the sash closes into two and sometimes three bulb and or mylar seals. Followed by double hung and then sliders. These things just suck. A slider would be more efficient.

End rant

Happy new year
I could not agree more. As I go back in years to previous MH I have owned, the windows were much better. Thermal windows were the norm. No we have glass that is 2mm thick and can be used as refrigerators
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Steinhoff View Post
All my windows have weep holes, two or three per window. I put a piece of Scotch tape over all the weep holes. It has to be replaced every couple of years. So far no problem with moisture building up on the inside of the windows. If it ever does, I will cut a slit in the Scotch tape with a razor blade.
Hello,
As a general contractor my advice would be to Google search "weep holes" because if you are really covering them up you could and in all likelihood be causing damage without even seeing the damage. Weep holes are installed by the manufacturers because they serve a vital purpose and they need to be there; uncovered.

Weep screeds are what you probably need as they are installed in the weep holes and have a flap to help keep out wind and noise etc. That flap opens one way to allow water and moisture out if it accumulates.

I repair mainly high rises do to improperly installed windows and weep holes that were inadvertently covered over by stucco, brick, paint, caulk and siding etc. My company has literally removed the entire exterior of the high rise and rebuilt them because of this.

Just something for you to think about.

Safe travels
Old 01-08-2021, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Hello,
As a general contractor my advice would be to Google search "weep holes" because if you are really covering them up you could and in all likelihood be causing damage without even seeing the damage. Weep holes are installed by the manufacturers because they serve a vital purpose and they need to be there; uncovered.

Weep screeds are what you probably need as they are installed in the weep holes and have a flap to help keep out wind and noise etc. That flap opens one way to allow water and moisture out if it accumulates.

I repair mainly high rises do to improperly installed windows and weep holes that were inadvertently covered over by stucco, brick, paint, caulk and siding etc. My company has literally removed the entire exterior of the high rise and rebuilt them because of this.

Just something for you to think about.

Safe travels
I don't know how your Newmar windows are, but in our Entegra's there are no weeps in the frames. They accomplish a weep system by leaving voids in the bulb seals. The problem with that is the frame rails have a 1/2" tall lip which traps water rendering the voids in the bulb seals used for weeping useless.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I don't know how your Newmar windows are, but in our Entegra's there are no weeps in the frames. They accomplish a weep system by leaving voids in the bulb seals. The problem with that is the frame rails have a 1/2" tall lip which traps water rendering the voids in the bulb seals used for weeping useless.
I don't have weeps either. I was responding to someone who covers his up with tape which is not a good idea.

My previous coach was a Winnebago Tour and those windows had weep holes for which I ordered the weep screeds as they were missing and as such I had an annoying loud noise from the windows.

Safe travels
Old 01-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
I don't have weeps either. I was responding to someone who covers his up with tape which is not a good idea.

My previous coach was a Winnebago Tour and those windows had weep holes for which I ordered the weep screeds as they were missing and as such I had an annoying loud noise from the windows.

Safe travels
Ya, I'm not sure what coach he has. I am sure that a framed window would be more air tight than these pieces of crap.

Tags
cold weather, wind, window