Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
In the latest FMCA magizine , Mark Quasius(Cruzer) did a article on the mounting of his dash cam, and even installed a new 12v outlet in the front bottom of the dash so as not to have the power wire laying on top of the dash........A real professional install........

I have used the same Garmin 20 for the past couple of years. I started out with the standard suction cup mount but it kept falling off so went to the sticky back mount as shown in this photo. I also have a mount in my toad so I can swap from one vehicle to the other. I used the cable that came with the camera and buried it into the trim and wired into the fuse block so it powers up when the ignition is turned on.
I bought a second cable for the toad and hard wired it also so that switching from one vehicle to the other is simple.

https://www.amazon.com/IG-PSTARA-i-T...armin+Nuvi+GPS

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11...in+power+cable
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW21 View Post
But is a dash cam practical? I think not.
Heck, even MH's aren't practical if you want to get down to it. Buy it for $300,000 today, it's worth $200,000 next year....not even practical.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I made a little mount from some aluminum stock, painted it to match the dash, and mounted the camera on my dash in the center. It looks good there,
Any chance of a photo of your mount?
Old 12-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #32

My Garmin 35 is mounted with the adhesive pad and is positioned right beside my "Mobile Eye" and also beside my EZ-Pass transponder. The low center mount is a great position.... it does not block my view of anything important when driving.... if I am that close to anything I am in more trouble than that camera is producing....

I have one of those custom matching covers that covers the entire top of the dashboard area so I have just run the power wire under the cover and it hangs down in front of the dash and sits in the cup holders.... I do like Mark's idea of the switched dash 12 volt connection, but would rather modify the one that is there than cut a new one, but still debating all that.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Any chance of a photo of your mount?
Sure, as soon as I can get to the coach. It's in the shop getting repaired. Some 17 year old kid ran a red light and T-boned me.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:31 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Sure, as soon as I can get to the coach. It's in the shop getting repaired. Some 17 year old kid ran a red light and T-boned me.
Glad you finally got the part in. Hope they do a nice job.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
You former Tiffin owners probably remember The Bubba Bus. He posted a dashcam video of he and his wife driving down a two lane highway when a car traveling in the other direction turned left right in front of him! You can even here his wife say "oh" as they suddenly realize what the other car was doing. It even shows when they hit the other car.

Still photos show the damage done to his Bus. Passenger side front badly damaged. Fortunately all were ok despite a couple of bumps and bruises.

The dashcam video removed all doubt about who did what!
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #36

Windshield camera

Quote:
Another reason I dislike the Interstates...Too many trucks and idiots. I should and probably will get a dash cam for the times I do have to travel them, but give me a quite highway any day.

True that!
I have spent as much as an extra hour in a day on old highways v freeways. And have found too many nifty places than I can count, over the years.
In over 40 years, we have not had an incident where a dash cam would have been of benefit. And we have yet to meet any RVers that have! No-fault and the highest levels of coverage are important. And we haven't needed that....yet!
They are nifty toys, to those that must marvel at reruns of video of the day's travel, and every night if they want to keep up with it!
Myself? I prefer a good dose of PBS, but only if the weather is bad; which means very seldom.
Hey, if I see something nifty, I stop in a pullout and really enjoy it! Nothing better than a great camera and taking time to record it better.
Wise timing through high traffic areas, missing the peaks, and not having to deal with neither Beavis nor Butthead are pretty good. YMMV
My Garmin GPS with Cam does just fine.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Glad you finally got the part in. Hope they do a nice job.
Got the wrong parts first; they had to get the dealer to send the correct parts. The bay door was wrong. Interestingly, the panel that covers the drive and tag axles was wrong also. It had a large cutout in it. Anyone know the reason for an opening in this? The shop is cutting some glass out of the old panel and patching the new one to use it. And the wrong docking light was sent; it turns out that Entegra changed dock lights and cannot get the old one anymore, so they sent a second and the shop will swap lights on both sides of the coach.

The coach is in the paint shop now; supposedly I will get it on 12/30. Just in time for the new year. See y'all in Quartzite.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #38

Thanks to everyone who participated in this post as it served as a good kick in the a%# to get off our a%# and buy a couple of Garmin 35's!

Living where we do the dash cam in the toad may come in quite handy as an anti-litigation device!
Conchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
We have a Garmin Dash Cam and love it! We came East of I-40 a week or so ago during all that bad weather. Captured a bunch of pile ups, snow and ice. Go towards the end of the attached video...
CaptainT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #40

DeeGee

Just a guess, but my guess is that you got one of the new pieces which would be used on the 17s. They have large square sensors in them for the collision avoidance system. There are two sensors on the back of the coach and one up under the side camera.... My memory of the spacing is that one is on that panel between the drive and tag axle and maybe the other one is further back on the door where the DEF and fuel filter are located.

Gary
Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #41

I now have a Garmin 35 mounted in the Anthem, and Garmin 20s mounted in each of the other cars (the toad - Honda CR-V and the Ford F-150). Love them all. Occassionally dig out the SD card and watch some section we enountered the last trip... fantastic pictures, great wide angle, and interesting to see my exact GPS location and speed continuously updated. Only the Honda has a cigarette lighter socket that turns on and off with the ignition.... I may at least try to find an appropriate switched 12 volt circuit in my Anthem and convert that cigarette lighter to ignition switched. Anyone know the best place to tap into a switched circuit to accomplish that?

Gary
Old 12-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Anyone know the best place to tap into a switched circuit to accomplish that?

Gary
I tapped into the A/C switch wire directly behind the dash. Large wire #10 IIRC with plenty of amperage for an add on.

Tags
camera