Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I have Progressive and I'm assuming they will cover the cost after the $1,000 deductible that I have - I'm insured in Alabama, so they don't have to cover it with a 0 deductible like Florida. I really don't want my insurance rates to go up however. I had an "incident" pulling my Dodge Ram back in 2019 that resulted in $6,000 damage to it. My rates skyrocketed for 2020 and then now being insured as a single (widow) ... that skyrocketed my rates for 2021. But, guess it will be what it is.
You should start shopping around for another insurance company. Get quotes and compare apples to apples; the price for the same coverage and deductibles. Most people get complacent with their insurance company and stick with them longer than sometimes necessary. Getting quotes doesn't obligate you and you don't have to wait to change at the end of the current term of your policy. They will pro-rate your balance and return a refund to you.

I'd look into Geico, USAA, AAA, and any of the other biggies. Check Consumer Report Magazine for articles and comparisons because cheaper rates don't necessarily mean good or bad service. You have to do your homework. You might even find it cheaper to forgo the multicar discount and insure the RV with another carrier while leaving your daily driver with your current company. You'd be surprised!
dtucker300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #44

Magne Shade

Hello everyone. I see DebbieMH appears to have magnets for the Magne Shade. How hard was it to get magnet replacements for the shade once the new windshield was installed? We are thinking about purchasing a magne shade but have not done so yet.

Thanks Andy and Tammy Mills
TAM Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I have a crack on my windshield down at the bottom, drivers side. It is getting worse and worse. Who do I call to get the whole windshield replaced? Thanks, Lynn
I just used Geico on my Tiffin motor coach. Easy Peasy. No charge in FLorida. they paid the whole thing!
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #46

We had a cracked windshield on our Airstream Atlas from a rock thrown up by a passing truck. Insurance wouldn't cover it because it was below our deductible. We called ahead to Safelite in Portland, OR and they ordered it. It was ready when we arrived and they replaced it in one day. But, the camera had to be realigned and that required a day-long visit to Mercedes and another $500. Ouch.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
Call Insurance company. They will get you in contact with company that handles all of their glass claims. They will ask you for all of the information that is on a corner of your windshield. If you have a preferred place you want it done you can tell them where you want to take it or they will give you places to go. I have just had mine replaced. I have zero deductible. Cost for my full windshield was 6+K My appointment was a month away and they did not get the windshield until the day of my appointment.
You could save a lot of money by having a deductible. A zero deductible policy means you're paying for things that may never happen.
Travelin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM Travels View Post
Hello everyone. I see DebbieMH appears to have magnets for the Magne Shade. How hard was it to get magnet replacements for the shade once the new windshield was installed? We are thinking about purchasing a magne shade but have not done so yet.

will be a whole lot cheaper to replace the VHB 'tape' on the magnet vs new magnets that are about $100 plus
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:01 AM   #49

We have had to replace three windshields in the past 20 years.....Custom Glass Solutions in Ohio is head & shoulders above any we have dealt with. Unbelievable customer service . You cannot go wrong with them !
J. W. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #50

Andy

You do not need to replace the magnets. You can peel the magnets off the windshield and save them. They will want to lock themselves to the other magnets but you can pry them apart and use them again. Be careful you don't let them snap together randomly as they can shatter themselves.

What you need to replace are the plastic or artificial rubber with adhesive on them disks that bond the magnets to the glass. You can order either the adhesive disks from MagneShade or the magnets or a complete set of discs and magnets. The first time I had to replace my windshield on this Cornerstone, I simply pried the magnets off. I found that a metal blade spatula works very well as a medium to both pry the magnets off and as a place for the magnets to lock on to the spatula. On the other side of the process, the spatula is a great way to hold the magnets while you place the magnets for the test on where they need to be installed. You just slide them off the spatula onto the glass. Of course, that doesn't work once the adhesive discs are added. The spatula is a trick I learned and it really helps with the magnets. All in all, its about an hour project (with your significant other helping) to remove the magnets and an hour to hour and a half job to re-position them on the new windshield.

You do have to be carefully. The magnets are amazingly strong and at my stage of life, my grip is not what it used to be. If you snap the magnets to the glass too quickly, some have actually cracked their windshield by the magnets snapping to the glass too forcefully.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:34 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyAnn View Post
Ouch on the deductible! We domicile in Florida and one of the perks is $0 deductible on windshield repairs.
So we live in Port Chalotte (South Gulf Cove) and our FR Class A Gasser Windshield replaced in 2019 that we use to own. This year bought our current coach when noticed our renewal cost went up a significant amount with Progressive. Contacted our agent who stated most of it was a rate increase but $150 was due to that windshield replacement several years back. She noted this was something that Florida insurance Companies were doing now. In the end I left Progressive but not after checking rates with over a 1/2 dozen other insurance companies all who said I'd be getting charged this by them as well because of the windshield replacement. For how long they couldn't say though one mentioned it could be 5 yrs.. Not happy but still better than the ~$3500 cost to replace it on my own dollar.
AlsoDebbieMH it was Safelite RV Solutions that did the replacement and had no issues with them doing it. 3 folks showed up to do the replacement from Ft.Meyers, if I'm not mistaken.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #52

My experience, being insured in Texas -

New to us in January ‘02 Georgie Boy Landau with split and curved windshield - Our insurance policy with GoodSam does not cover glass breakage. $1000.00 deductible.

Our first trip out - my novice knowledge of using the hydraulic levelers combined with flaws in the manufacture and assembly of the coach that wasnt previously corrected broke the driver side windshield.

Emailed several different companies, best installed price was RV Glass Solutions @$1600.00. Having been told filing a claim would cause a hit on our premium, I chose to not file a claim and pay out of pocket (the $600 difference likely easily being recovered within a year or two as opposed to increased rates for who knows how long).

Since the install was sub-contracted, I now have the name of an installer who can likely save me some $ if/when I need another windshield.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #53

Coach Glass

Quote:
I have a crack on my windshield down at the bottom, drivers side. It is getting worse and worse. Who do I call to get the whole windshield replaced? Thanks, Lynn
Debbie we have a similar situation and Coach Glass is the biggest supplier of Motor Home windshield replacement. They are all over the USA but not on Canada. Anyone here who professes they can do the job has to order glass from Coach Glass. We called our insurance company and they agreed that expertise exists in the USA not here, so we are headed to Coach Glass
location in Lakeland Florida...
ponypeople2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The first time I had to replace my windshield on this Cornerstone, I simply pried the magnets off. I found that a metal blade spatula works very well as a medium to both pry the magnets off and as a place for the magnets to lock on to the spatula. On the other side of the process, the spatula is a great way to hold the magnets while you place the magnets for the test on where they need to be installed. You just slide them off the spatula onto the glass. Of course, that doesn't work once the adhesive discs are added. The spatula is a trick I learned and it really helps with the magnets.
Here's the Magne Shade video demonstrating the use of a metal spatula for magnet placement: https://youtu.be/Rpqwgnf3p8I?t=154

As Gary suggested, it works very well.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Lynn I have a solution for you.......

next year when you need service, give me a couple of weeks heads up and take a trip to where I am in Central Illinois. I have a garage and full hook ups. We'll have a few drinks and I'll teach you how to do some of this stuff. You cover the parts and bourbon and we'll get this all taken care of for you.

Oil about $120 (synthetic)
oil filters about $75 (cummins and generator)
Fuel filters $80 (all three)
Air filter $125

We'll grease it and check all 3 axles for lube.
Ha ha ... sounds like a plan! Hope to see y'all sometime next year.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:11 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM Travels View Post

Hadn't thought about that! Guess I will bite the bullet and buy some new magnets for the shade. Do love my shade :-)
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windshield