Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
PatMann, your descriptions are confusing. SWM is a technology used by DirecTV, not a type of dish. However a dish can use SWM technology, and many Winegard Travlers do. So for you to say you are taking the "SWM dish" off your current coach makes me think (1) you currently have DirecTV and (2) your coach probably has a Travler (not just "SWM") dish. But I am guessing. Other types of SWM dish would be RFMogul, or a manually set up ground or tripod mounted DirecTV dish.

In order to get accurate answers to your questions, you need to provide accurate descriptions of the equipment in both the old and new coach.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #16

Gary, I often wonder why manufacturers continue to put in Direct TV rather than Dish.

Dish is so much better.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:32 PM   #17

So what is involved switching my Direst TV Traveller over to Dish? Who does the work? Is it DYI?
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #18

You can do it yourself and there are a number of threads up here on what to buy and how to do it. Do a search at the top of the page and you will find them.

You will need to simply buy the new LNBs (the "eyes") at the end of the turret arm and then probably a different splitter down in the basement.

Add the word "Voltdoc" and "rob" to your search terms in the search box and you will find it quick. Rob is the fellow that has posted on this again and again. Also, I had a thread up here about two years ago that had all the instructions on what I did to change.

You can do all the work yourself and its not hard. And for the third time, I will repeat, DISH is SO MUCH EASIER TO WORK WITH when on the road than DIRECTV that whatever you need to go through to make the change is worth the effort.... DISH understands what a motorcoach or mobile user is and what they need.... DIRECTV DOES not (and they don't want to serve mobile customers). They were a constant "pain in the a** to deal with!!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
You can do it yourself and there are a number of threads up here on what to buy and how to do it. Do a search at the top of the page and you will find them.

You will need to simply buy the new LNBs (the "eyes") at the end of the turret arm and then probably a different splitter down in the basement.

Add the word "Voltdoc" and "rob" to your search terms in the search box and you will find it quick. Rob is the fellow that has posted on this again and again. Also, I had a thread up here about two years ago that had all the instructions on what I did to change.

You can do all the work yourself and its not hard. And for the third time, I will repeat, DISH is SO MUCH EASIER TO WORK WITH when on the road than DIRECTV that whatever you need to go through to make the change is worth the effort.... DISH understands what a motorcoach or mobile user is and what they need.... DIRECTV DOES not (and they don't want to serve mobile customers). They were a constant "pain in the a** to deal with!!!

Gary

Ok, thanks, will do
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #20

Bill

Here is one thread (and several links) that will help you...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/con...-468513-2.html

Gary
Old 04-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #21
WDW

FWIW - we just acquired a new coach with a Traveler dish. The unit powers up an says LG DVT SWM - so I called Weingard and asked about what that meant and about converting it to Dish from Direct. We had Direct in our home and previously MH for years. We got tired of Directs poor customer service / prices. We switched to DISH. With our King Dome it was a simple reprogramming activity from inside the coach. However, switching our new coach’s dish from Direct to DISH (according to Weingard) required the LNB. and the actual dish itself to be replaced. Probably around $300. and labor. I looked up the present unit on Amazon and prices around $1800. The advantage of thus set up is multiple TVs on different satellites at the same time. Not a selling point to me.

Unfortunately there is no COMPETENT dealer we can identify near Buffalo that can handle this. Our selling dealer is listed by Weingard as a service center but that’s a joke.

That said, giving thought to removing the Traveler and replacing it with a smaller, lighter King Dome. We had good luck with them before and I’m worried if the Traveler has a malfunction I’m not in a position to get up on the roof to manually lower it. Besides our new coach doesn’t even have a ladder.

Hope my story helps clarify what I’m reading as a similar dilemma. I know I’m cheapening down, but as practical goes the money spent would be the same as the conversion snd I’m not willing to do business with Direct again.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
If your Travler works with DirecTV it IS a SWM dish. SWM is the type of antenna that DirecTV uses, and the Travler is an automatically aimed SWM dish if it is the DirecTV model. If this is what is on your motorhome, you should use it as-is unless you just can’t bring yourself to go with DirecTV. I have had the Travler for eight years without any issues and have had DTV for nearly 30 years. DTV is a pain to deal with, but I haven't had to contact them in years so I don’t endure the pain.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:32 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
WDW, your situation can easily be corrected by an independent satellite installer that will come to you. Many of the trucks you see with DISH and Direct TV logos are independent contractors. Google a DISH dealer in your area and he will have an installer. There is a excellent post by Voltdoc that was linked on this post. It wil list the parts to to order from Winegard . The installation is simple and any installer will have any new connections that might be needed on his truck.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #24

WDW

There is a bunch of information on exactly this issue up here on this forum and also everything you need to understand is contained in the posts from the first post on this thread to your own request for information. Start reading at the first post and read to the end. This is not hard. It will cost you ~$300-$400 to make the switch to DISH and you won't regret it.

Now, if you don't have a ladder, then you need to get one. Either go to Harbor Freight or to Lowes or HomeDepot and buy a "Little Giant" type ladder (they have different names, but Google Little Giant and you will see what they all have in common. The little giant type ladder is a 17' ladder that folds into 4 sections that can be locked straight and extended to 17 total feet. There are many discussions on this forum about the pluses and minuses of each model of ladder. What you absolutely need is one that has at least 17' total reach which gets you comfortably above the roof line so you can step from the ladder to the roof. Go to the search box at the top of the page and enter ENTEGRA: Little Giant Ladder and you will find all you need to know. You can carry it in the basement on its side in any of the main compartments. I carry mine in the rear most basement compartment on the passenger side. Even if the situation is that you feel you can not personally climb, you need a ladder so that some other helpful owner can do the climb for you. None of the big Entegra coaches have ladders and there is a definite need to get on the roof every so often, so a ladder in the basement is your way to have your cake and eat it too.

Gary
Old 04-30-2021, 08:17 PM   #25
WDW

Thank you! I appreciate your good counsel.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite