Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PatMann
Winegard satellite dome vs. SWM dish

I have put a deposit on a 2014 Anthem DLQ. Because the sale isn't final, I don't have access to manuals, etc. Reading the spec sheet the 2014 standard satellite is the Winegard in-motion dome. Optional was the Trav'ler dish, but I don't know if that option is on the coach. Will trade my Allegro Bus, and my question is whether I should have the DirecTV dish moved to the Anthem. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Pat
PatMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #2

Pat

Depends on if you really want or care about in motion. Most Entegra's since 2014 had come with Winegard Trav'ler sat dishes installed. Virtually all of them were for DirectTV, which is pretty terrible customer service. Many of us got rid of DirecTV LNBs and changed our systems to Dish, which is a much better company.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If you want in-motion reception, you need to have the dome and use Dish, not DirecTV. However the signal reception on a dome antenna is not as reliable as the Travler, and the Travler is more capable of multi-channel reception. Personally I found the in-motion feature to be relatively useless as trees, bridges and hills kept interrupting the signal as you drive. I would far prefer a Travler for its better reception in rain and dew conditions.

Having a Travler does not automatically mean DTV, as there is also a Dish configuration of the Travler. So you need to ask the seller if it has a dome or Travler antenna, and whether it is configured for DTV or Dish. If you have a DTV Travler, it can be converted to Dish for about $300. You cannot easily convert a Dish Travler to DTV.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For what it's worth, after having done the DirecTV-to-Dish conversion, I'd recommend swapping from the Trav'ler to something like the RF Mogul instead. Turns out that the Trav'ler will only target the western arc sats, which is pretty useless for me here in New England. I don't regret the conversion, because the one eastern arc sat I can target has most channels, and an RF Mogul would've been quite a bit more expensive and difficult than just $300. But if you are converting from an in-motion sat, I would strongly recommend against the Trav'ler.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMann View Post
my question is whether I should have the DirecTV dish moved to the Anthem.
If the dealer is not charging much to move it & your coach has just the in-motion, I would, but we do watch / have movies / News in the background all day long.

Our 18 came with the Traveler install & was pre-wired for adding an in-motion, so the wiring was already there for be there both.

We have both installed because it was one of the DW requirements.

Also one more note - The in-motion dish can be SWM also, I had it setup that way on my prior motorhome.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
At this point, you might consider investing in a robust exterior cell/WiFi antenna and 1 or 2 cell services then forgo the satellite system. I have both and really use my dish tv to get mostly local stations that I would probably get over the air. That’s pretty expensive for just that.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I recently read that domes didn't perform well. Seems that many have switched to Dish b/c of poor customer service. I have DTV in my home, and apparently I have been fortunate not to have issues. I have no interest in the in-motion feature - my sister sleeps most of the time while I drive.

If I understand correctly, if the dome is on the coach, I should replace it with my SWM. If it is the Travler, but set up for Dish, I should replace it with my SWM. If it is the Travler and set up with DTV, keep it. Is this correct? Any opinion which is better - Travler or SWM?

I replaced a Kingdome that died with the SWM a number of years ago, and I have no complaints with it.

Installing cell/wifi antennas is something I should do for many reasons, but my eyes glaze over with all of the information I have read. That is on my short list to learn before a big trip planned in August. There is so much to know and learn that I end up completely confused. Satellite isn’t always the best option, but the learning curve is non-existent.

I was not familiar with RF Mogul. If my Tiffin didn’t already have a SWM dish, I would definitely consider switching, but for now I need to go the least expensive route.

Pat
Old 04-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMann View Post
I was not familiar with RF Mogul. If my Tiffin didn’t already have a SWM dish, I would definitely consider switching, but for now I need to go the least expensive route.
If your new coach (congrats, by the way!) doesn't already come with what you need, I suspect your cheapest option is going to be one of the portable dishes that you install on the ground. We pay a lot for convenience.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #9

Looks like the Direct TV receivers are on back order too
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
If your new coach (congrats, by the way!) doesn't already come with what you need, I suspect your cheapest option is going to be one of the portable dishes that you install on the ground.
What I meant by the least expensive route was to either move the SWM from my Bus or keep what is currently on the Anthem (if it's a Travler set up for DTV), rather than buying a new satellite dish. I just can't justify replacing it if I already have something that will work out.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:33 PM   #11

IMO, don’t even consider dealing with Direct. DISH is so much easier to deal with direct is TERRIBLE!’

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Until you ca; tell us what dish is on your new coach it is hard to advise you with any specificity.

What do you mean by your SWM dish? Is that a manually operated ground dish? What receiver do you have in your current coach?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:27 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Until you ca; tell us what dish is on your new coach it is hard to advise you with any specificity.

What do you mean by your SWM dish? Is that a manually operated ground dish? What receiver do you have in your current coach?
I emailed the salesman for specific information on what is currently in the coach. The Bus has a fully automatic DTV slimline (I think) dish. Can't answer your question about the receiver - just know that it is at least as old as the dish that we had installed at least 5 -6 years ago, and frankly I don't remember if it was in the coach when we bought it.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:35 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
My 2 cents -

I recently read that domes didn't perform well.
- I've had the domes on both RV's and not had any issues & both perform well

I have DTV in my home, and apparently I have been fortunate not to have issues.
In the same boat & have had them for over 20 years, but we do not change our local stations when we travel, we just use the campground or OTA.

If I understand correctly, if the dome is on the coach, I should replace it with my SWM. If it is the Travler, but set up for Dish, I should replace it with my SWM. If it is the Travler and set up with DTV, keep it. Is this correct? Any opinion which is better - Travler or SWM?

SWM is the technology DTV has been using to pipe the signal to the receivers - It will work with the in-motion or Traveler. It splits the signal so everything does not need to be run to the Dish. see the pic below - the SWM is an external box in red or built into the LNB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	direct-tv-satellite-dish-wiring-diagram-direct-tv-satellite-dish-wiring-diagram-in-swm-with-dipl.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	326356  
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite