Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Winter Operation in Northern Climate

The family & I are looking to use the coach this winter to take some ski trips. I was reviewing the advice from the Cummins Owners manual and wanted to understand what others have implemented for the conditions. For the places we intend to visit, I checked the historic averages and they are a low of 11 F and high of 32F; which we all know means that it will be much colder when we actually travel there!

1. I was thinking of adding a "Radiator Shutter" in the form of a "Winter Front", but I haven't seen or heard of any for the Entegra Cornerstone. Does anyone have any leads on such a product?

2. Battery heater blanket such as the one here...Amazon.com: Kat's 22300 160 Watt 72" Battery Thermal Wrap: Automotive

3. Should I investigate an oil and/or coolant heater?

4. Do I need to wrap / heat the house batteries also, or will the basement heat keep them warm enough?

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ColdWeatherAids.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	77989  
xtechgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
#1. not needed on a side radiator.
#2 if the batteries are charged they will take much lower temps than 11 degrees.
#3. you already have an engine block heater built into the Entegra and Cummins engine. There is an electrical outlet at the rear of the engine with a 110v plug hanging down, that is your engine heater. Here is a photo the Curt posted of the location. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/batt...ml#post2290954
Coolant is good from the factory to 35 below.
#4 same as #2.

Enjoy the ski trips, water and plumbing would be the only major concerns.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's not as bad as you might think.

1) The winter front isn't necessary. For one, you don't have a front radiator so the increased wind at speed won't affect it. You probably couldn't get one to stay on the side radiator anyway. Plus, you don'tneed it. The fan is thermostatically controlled and will kick in only as needed.

2) Battery heater blankets help you maintain maximum cranking capacity but you really won't have any issues as is. Mine cranked just fine at -10 degrees.

3) You don't need the oil heater and you already have a coolant heater. You have an 850 watt engine block heater on your coach. If you don't have power that's okay too because you have the engine preheat feature on the Aqua-Hot. That in itself will keep your engine warm and its about twice as many BTU as the block heater. My coach will start just with the intake manifold preheater (think glow plugs) when it's single digit temps but I don't like to do it because it smokes for quite a while until the cylinders get warmed up enough for complete combustion of all the fuel. In an emergency it'll start but I always use the preheater to take better care of the engine. An hour with the Aqua-Hot's preheater makes a big difference.

4) House batteries aren't in a heated area. Technically you would gain by keeping them warm but if you have to use power to keep them warm just so that you can have more power you aren't gaining anything. If you are plugged into shore power you can gain some amp-hrs but then you don't need them because your inverter/charger is putting out plenty of power so it's not necessary.

Really, your coach will be just fine. Entegra has the best insulation of anyone, far better than our Allegro Bus had, and we made it okay in Wisconsin winters. Your biggest concerns are the fresh water and sewer system. You'll need to fill the fresh tank and/or dump the holding tanks quickly and then put the hoses away. Not sure how the Cornerstone's new sewer hose system will work in cold weather though. I don't think that the storage tube is in a heated area so don't know if the hose would be flexible enough.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Now that sounds like great fun!
Curious how much salt the Entegra can take, and if it can be effectively cleaned after a trip.
I disolved several vehicles in MN winters.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Now that sounds like great fun!
Curious how much salt the Entegra can take, and if it can be effectively cleaned after a trip.
I disolved several vehicles in MN winters.
A little worried about that myself. I have access to an indoor wash bay for when I return. I'm working on an under-body wash system to try and get the salt off.
xtechgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Just a caution with that engine block heater. Once your started and before you leave, unplug the block heater. It will chew up virtually all the amps generated by you alternator. Then plug it back in the next time you need it. FWIW, and there will be twenty folks probably argue this point, but the folks that know at Spartan say you don't need that engine block heater until it is below 10 degrees F.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

www.saltx.com
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Just a caution with that engine block heater. Once your started and before you leave, unplug the block heater. It will chew up virtually all the amps generated by you alternator. Then plug it back in the next time you need it. FWIW, and there will be twenty folks probably argue this point, but the folks that know at Spartan say you don't need that engine block heater until it is below 10 degrees F.
Totally agree with the 10 degrees. Having lived in CO for 20 years we didn't even worry about it until it was 10 below...then not that much as the ski slopes were all closed anyhow.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Its finally down to the mid 80's here. Pretty soon we'll be able to wear long sleeves in the evening.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The toughest part will be like Dave said, managing your water and waste. In cold climates unhook your water connection each night and put your sewer hose in the heated compartment. Run off water in the tank. Manage your water use in case one day it is too cold to get water from the supply. Dump the tanks and rinse when warm enough to not freeze.

I also had problems with condensation inside the RV. Carry a couple of fans to circulate air on the big windows.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
We are planning to use our 2015 Cornerstone as our ski condo. We will be near Park City Utah now thru the end it March. Not moving around at all.

We will have the fresh water supply wrapped with heat tape, so not worried about that. Our main concern is the part of the sewer hose that runs from the passenger side of the coach over to the sewer connection by the wet bay. It has no fall and actually goes up a bit just before exiting the coach. its not in a heated area and will always have some water sitting in it.

We have considered skirting the coach with foam board and putting a small heater in that area.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

JJ
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Any reason heat tape won't work there as well? Just make sure that the heat tape doesn't melt the sewer hose. Should be less complicated than trying to skirt the entire motor home and then heat the enclosed area
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Our friends stayed at Park City a few winter. Use foam skirts and put foam on the inner windshield. Full your water tanks. Roll out the hoses only to fill or empty.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
IMHO skirting the coach is a great idea, not just for the sewer hose issue, but also to keep winter heating costs down.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter