Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Winterization Valve Replacement??

2012 Aspire - Has anyone ever replaced the winterization valve with a better valve? Living in Colorado, winterizing our coach is a must for us. I performed my winterization as normal, but for the life of me, could not get the antifreeze to suck up the tube. What I found, was the tube that's used to perform the winterization was slightly loose in the valve, causing it to suck air, therefore I lost the ability to draw antifreeze out of the jug. To get by, I pulled the hose out, cut off the end and reinserted. To make sure the process was not interrupted, I held my hand over the valve with constant pressure on my new connection.

So, I'd like a better valve if possible. Anyone have a Pex solution that they've tried and liked? What does Entegra use on the latest Anthems or Cornerstones?

Thanks!
Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinValve.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	346453  
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
2012 Aspire - Has anyone ever replaced the winterization valve with a better valve? Living in Colorado, winterizing our coach is a must for us. I performed my winterization as normal, but for the life of me, could not get the antifreeze to suck up the tube. What I found, was the tube that's used to perform the winterization was slightly loose in the valve, causing it to suck air, therefore I lost the ability to draw antifreeze out of the jug. To get by, I pulled the hose out, cut off the end and reinserted. To make sure the process was not interrupted, I held my hand over the valve with constant pressure on my new connection.

So, I'd like a better valve if possible. Anyone have a Pex solution that they've tried and liked? What does Entegra use on the latest Anthems or Cornerstones?

Thanks!
Cheers!!
Why not blow the lines out altogether with air as opposed to AF? We live in upstate NY and that's what we do
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Why not blow the lines out altogether with air as opposed to AF? We live in upstate NY and that's what we do

A neighbor did that, or at least tried to. Unfortunately he didn’t get all the water out. He has since had the leaks repaired and now uses antifreeze to winterize.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
A neighbor did that, or at least tried to. Unfortunately he didn’t get all the water out. He has since had the leaks repaired and now uses antifreeze to winterize.
To each there own.

PVC valves should be easy to find at Lowes and such.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

Entegra and AquaHot and a whole bunch of owners have been cautioning against the "blow out the water" process for years and years. Its very difficult to get it all. If you have an AquaHot in the coach, it is very, very difficult to get all the water and therefore very easy to get a water freeze and then a $10,000 - $15,000 bill for replacing the AquaHot.

My solution is to never have the coach in extreme cold.... I'm always near the coach (i.e. its i9n the driveway) or we are living in the coach and I am making sure that there is never a temperature problem, but if that changes, I will install ant-freeze throughout.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Entegra and AquaHot and a whole bunch of owners have been cautioning against the "blow out the water" process for years and years. Its very difficult to get it all. If you have an AquaHot in the coach, it is very, very difficult to get all the water and therefore very easy to get a water freeze and then a $10,000 - $15,000 bill for replacing the AquaHot.

My solution is to never have the coach in extreme cold.... I'm always near the coach (i.e. its i9n the driveway) or we are living in the coach and I am making sure that there is never a temperature problem, but if that changes, I will install ant-freeze throughout.

Gary
Agree, it is difficult, but not impossible. The safe bet is to always use antifreeze. I just hate the smell and taste of it.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Agree, it is difficult, but not impossible. The safe bet is to always use antifreeze. I just hate the smell and taste of it.
Easy solution, cheap vodka on sale. It will be double the cost of AF, but the taste won't bother you next spring...
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Easy solution, cheap vodka on sale. It will be double the cost of AF, but the taste won't bother you next spring...
I like the way you think!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #9

That is definitely a novel approach.... Someone in Colorado or Montana, give that some thought!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I don't have the confidence to use air when it comes to the Aquahot. But applaud you for doing so without any issues. Aquahot is going to give its best recommendation for winterization based on high averages for success.

I sat through the Aquahot training in Colorado (for my own benefit, not to start a business), and it was not advised to use air. This is their recommendation because there is a 34 foot coil (fresh water) that must be blown completely out, or risk spending $10k for a new one. Anyone can use AF and visibly understand it's winterized, but for the average person to use air, you can't visible guarantee there aren't pockets of water still in the 34 foot loop. I bet you know exactly how much air pressure is needed to completely blow out the AH, while others may not use enough.

When the plumping works (not in my case) and I have my wife assisting, I can winterize my coach in less than 30 minutes. When I dewinterize and sanitize I don't taste any AF afterwards.

If anyone has done the mod, I'm interested to see how you did it.
I found Home Depot carries the Pex three way valve, so I might give it a try and report back.

Thanks
Cheers!!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Now that's a great idea!!!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
I don't have the confidence to use air when it comes to the Aquahot. But applaud you for doing so without any issues. Aquahot is going to give its best recommendation for winterization based on high averages for success.

I sat through the Aquahot training in Colorado (for my own benefit, not to start a business), and it was not advised to use air. This is their recommendation because there is a 34 foot coil (fresh water) that must be blown completely out, or risk spending $10k for a new one. Anyone can use AF and visibly understand it's winterized, but for the average person to use air, you can't visible guarantee there aren't pockets of water still in the 34 foot loop. I bet you know exactly how much air pressure is needed to completely blow out the AH, while others may not use enough.

When the plumping works (not in my case) and I have my wife assisting, I can winterize my coach in less than 30 minutes. When I dewinterize and sanitize I don't taste any AF afterwards.

If anyone has done the mod, I'm interested to see how you did it.
I found Home Depot carries the Pex three way valve, so I might give it a try and report back.

Thanks
Cheers!!
Wise advice indeed.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, valve, winter