Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #15

I probably spend more time than most people do winterizing my Motorhome. I'd rather take the extra time when winterizing than spend time in the spring repairing the water system because I missed or neglected something.
I use about 6 gallons of pink antifreeze in the process which in the scheme of things isn't all that costly.
I do blow out all the lines before using the antifreeze which might be adequate but the additional insurance of using the antifreeze helps me sleep better through the long winter months. A side benefit of using the antifreeze is it helps to keep the toilet seal and the faucet washers pliable during storage.
I have owned campers since 1976 and have never had a problem with damaged plumbing from freezing. I have helped a couple friends who have had damage and it's a real pain. Not my idea of a good time. Aside from that it can be expensive as well.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #16

If you have an Aquahot or a longer class A then either use antifreeze or put money back for repairs
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #17

When winterizing, I use the plumbing anti-freeze from Walmart @ $2.50 a jug. Available in stores year round.
I can get by with 3 maybe 4 jugs, but at this price, why not have the additional insurance, so I usually use 6 jugs.
For an additional $5 investment, I never have to worry about frozen pipes.
I also have a check list that I print off each year just to ensure I don't miss any key areas during the process.
Be sure to add 3-4" in the toilet bowl to keep the seal from drying out during storage.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #18

This will be the first year I won’t be winterizing the coach because we built a building. I’ve winterized mine sometimes twice a year due to having unexpected trips. I only use the pink stuff and each time it takes about 8 gallons but I don’t have a dish washer.

It’s easy to do and no big deal. The washing machine takes the most time. The only thing I blow out is the freshwater hose and then I leave both ends open.

Come down to Illinois and we can do it together in my building.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #19

Just curious but why go to all these lengths in the first place?

If you drain the water and leave all faucets open shouldn’t that give room for any possible ice expansion?

I understand this may be a dumb question, this will be my first winter with a class A and I live in Alabama
Fischse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #20

Wow. I think I would rather take a chance with Covid. Just kidding. The kicker here for me is the residential refrigerator, dish washer, and cloths washer. and how much anti-freeze does it take? My 2006 Winnebago Journey took about 3 gallons. Do you really need to blow it out AND pump it full of anti-freeze? Can you just pump it full of anti-freeze? This can't be that hard, can it?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischse View Post
just curious but why go to all these lengths in the first place?

If you drain the water and leave all faucets open shouldn’t that give room for any possible ice expansion?

I understand this may be a dumb question, this will be my first winter with a class a and i live in alabama
water can be in a low spot in a pipe. In the threads of a coupling, a little trapped in the fitting on the hose reel that allows it to turn, in the solenoid valves of the dish and clothes washer.....each is a tiny space and the water freezing will not even migrate out of the local area much less make it to the faucet

freezing water creates powerful expansion force that can break most any fitting.

Remember i describe winterizing expecting extended temps at -20f or colder.

For an overnight light frost in florida you dont need to d o much except mabe hang a towel over the out door faucet for some insulation since it will be below freezing for a very short period.

Big difference for the ice maker solenoid with water in it at -20f for a week

thats why there is no simple single answer to winterizing. I always plan for absolute worst case.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedaddy View Post
wow. I think i would rather take a chance with covid. Just kidding. The kicker here for me is the residential refrigerator, dish washer, and cloths washer. And how much anti-freeze does it take? My 2006 winnebago journey took about 3 gallons. Do you really need to blow it out and pump it full of anti-freeze? Can you just pump it full of anti-freeze? This can't be that hard, can it?

depends on how cold for how long. Do you feel lucky or do you want it to positively not suffer freeze damage.

I was lazy one time and only blew out my adjustable pressure regulater. Water was trapped in the bourdon tube inside the gauge. Froze and ruined the gauge. Now i blow it out and fill with antifreeze
Old 07-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #23

I lied. I checked my boxes of antifreeze. 6 gallon per box. 4 boxes so i used the 24 number. I still had 4 gallons in one box so i only used 20 gallons last fall. I thought i had used it all. Once my ocd kicks in and i check each faucet 'one more time' i use a lot of antifreeze. Cheap insurance.

Last fall a lot of discussion on the various feeze points of the rv antifreeze. It says -50 on the bottle but the hydrometer(that you must use with the propylene glycol rv antifreeze) showed one brand at -20, one brand at -5 ane was only good to 30 degrees. Not much leeway if it is diluted with water still in the system.

When you get your rv antifreeze fill a water bottle or small coke bottle completely to the cap and put it in your freezer at home which is probably around -6f. Bet you the nrxt day that bottle will be frozen as hard as a brick. I keep one in the freezer to show people.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Robert, You CAN NOT just blow out the Aqua Hot - you have to use the antifreeze. It can get terribly expensive if you don't.

I'm in Illinois, so not quite as cold as MN but I plan on just running my AH because I plan on coming and going several times. Used AH Feb/Mar this year with no problems but if not going to be able to get out I will winterize.

Remove the filters before using the antifreeze and remove cartridges after. I forgo the shower cartridge in my last DP and it cracked on me. I now have the wrench needed so won't make that mistake again.

You may want to reconsider your winter. You can go South and still Social Distance as needed.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 07-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Wow. I think I would rather take a chance with Covid. Just kidding. The kicker here for me is the residential refrigerator, dish washer, and cloths washer. and how much anti-freeze does it take? My 2006 Winnebago Journey took about 3 gallons. Do you really need to blow it out AND pump it full of anti-freeze? Can you just pump it full of anti-freeze? This can't be that hard, can it?

Lets simplify this a bit......

On the refrigerator, simply take the in-line filter off and replace it with the solid tube that Entegra gave you. Empty your Ice maker, and draw the pink stuff into your refrigerator by using your "water on demand" in the door. Leave your refrigerator on so it will try to make pink ice cubes. I keep our unit plugged in all winter so I leave the refrigerator on. It's really simple

for your clothes washer, just start the unit and make sure you use both hot and cold water. When the washer drains, it also winterizes the drain.

A point to remember...the pink stuff will freeze but it doesn't expand like water when it does freeze. Therefore nothing gets broken.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #26

Thanks everyone. I think I got it.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #27

No. It doesn't.
The first things to go will be residential style items, things that really we're never intended to be "outside".

If you're fridge has an ice maker, the only effective option is to make pink ice.

If you have a washer or a dishwasher, you have to run a full cycle with the system pressurized with pink stuff.

I am talking hardcore Chicago winter's here, as in been there, done that, and then had to fix it.

Soft winter's, such as our current E TN, u don't have to winterize at all if you keep a little heat in the coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischse View Post
Just curious but why go to all these lengths in the first place?

I understand this may be a dumb question, this will be my first winter with a class A and I live in Alabama
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Robert, You CAN NOT just blow out the Aqua Hot - you have to use the antifreeze. It can get terribly expensive if you don't.

Best wishes - Richard
I have heard this too Yet four coaches using air here in upstate NY and I have not had issues. But you are right, if you you don't get all the water out you will have a big expense on your hands. The key is being thorough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
No. It doesn't.
The first things to go will be residential style items, things that really we're never intended to be "outside".

If you're fridge has an ice maker, the only effective option is to make pink ice.

If you have a washer or a dishwasher, you have to run a full cycle with the system pressurized with pink stuff.

I am talking hardcore Chicago winter's here, as in been there, done that, and then had to fix it.

Soft winter's, such as our current E TN, u don't have to winterize at all if you keep a little heat in the coach.
I respectfully disagree. All that's needed for the washer is running a rinse cycle while under air pressure. As for the fridge I have not used ice until this year, so you may be right about pink ice. Having never used the fridge for either water or ice in the past, I just used air. Seems to me the supply line must split inside the fridge sending on line to the ice and the other for water. It would be difficult to get air through the ice maker.

After I am done using air I dump a bunch of AF into all the p-traps gray and black tanks.

Will rethink all of this once I take delivery of my CS this fall. I'd hate to eat an appliance or AH
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter