RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #15

Should you fill diesel tank all the way when you’re about to store your coach for the winner?
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Should you fill diesel tank all the way when you’re about to store your coach for the winner?

The prevailing wisdom is yes, but it's not necessary to fill beyond the normal fill level.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
I thought this pink stuff (anti-freeze) would freeze in very cold weather, but does not expand like water? Going to have to check this out - there are most likely a few experts on here in this area that know
Yes it will
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
In regard to the PG antifreeze, this article from West Marine has some good info about the different types available:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...ing-Antifreeze

Most of the cheap stuff is PG diluted with alcohol which explains the inconsistent refractometer readings. Also remember that the antifreeze will mix with residual water in the system further reducing its freeze point. The alcohol can also evaporate from the mix further complicating things. You can minimize this concern by using a higher quality (more expensive) pure PG product designed for engine winterizing.

Over decades of boat and RV winterizing in New England winters I've never had a problem with the cheap stuff in my water system, but I wouldn't use it in the raw water system of a marine engine.

Agree with a previous poster that it is the pressure buildup caused by water freeze expansion that can be most destructive, there is a study that addresses this:

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/54757

So after winterizing the fresh water plumbing it is probably a good idea to open a faucet to prevent the possibility of any pressure buildup.

In regard to filling the fuel tank for the winter, that minimizes the air in the tank which minimizes condensation and reduces water in the fuel.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:04 AM   #19

Sometimes more than air is required...

For the "blow out with air only group", make sure if you have a macerator pump that it also gets flushed. My Winnie manual has Air Pressure and AF methods of winterizing the water supply lines but then describes how to protect the optional on some units gray water macerator dump pump which requires 2 gallons of AF. It's way at the end of procedures in the manual and if you only read the first air pressure method you might miss this requirement a few pages later if you didn't through the entire section.
'12 Winnebago Via 25T, stock except: HWH Levelers, NovaKool RFU68000 12V Fridge,Group 31 AGM Coach Batteries, PM4 55A 55 Amp Converter, PI EMS-HW30C Surge Protector, Michelin Agilis CrossClimate Tires, TST Internal TPMS, Borg Stems, Sumo Springs
HISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #20

Has anyone ever had a pipe burst in your RV using the pink stuff? Has anyone ever heard of anyone using the pink stuff having any pipes burst? In my 4 years of being on 4 different forums I have never read anyone having bursts pipes using pink antifreeze. If the pink stuff didn't work there would be thousands of law suits and complaints in the internet. Why try to reinvent the wheel? Pick stuff works and I for one will continue to use it. Blowing with air is not necessary. Any remaining water in the system will mix with the antifreeze and will not cause any damage. Just be sure the pink stuff comes out of EVERY faucet, Toilet and water pump and the line between the hose connection and the pump. Push a screwdriver in the connection and let the pink stuff flow OUT when your done pumping. I do put it in the p-traps but guess what? If water freezes in an empty drain pipe it cannot break it! it will expand within the empty drain pipe not break the trap!!!

My 2 trailers a park in the Berkshires year round at 1450' for 4 years. There has never been a report there in 30 years of any pipes bursting. The one I have now is 9 years old. The PO said he never had a pipe break using the pink stuff in 9 years of MA winters.

You mileage my very.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Agree. As previously mentioned in decades of winterizing water systems with the cheap pink stuff never had a problem. Never heard of anyone in my area (RI) having a problem with it.

Long time ago I tried the air only method and in the spring had a cracked toilet valve. Air won't get all the water out and the residue will collect in the low points. Depending how your plumbing is laid out you might get away with it but IMO antifreeze is more reliable.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter