Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 05:59 AM   #1

Wiper Arm

Looks like it's my turn to have a wiper come loose.

We hit the road yesterday from Sevierville, destination Ft.Myers via columbia, savannah, jacksonville, and tampa.

It's been raining, and will be for at least the next couple days.

I took it off, reinstalled it in the right place, and tightened it down good (also tightened the drivers side, which was very loose too)

The splines are completely wiped out of the inside diameter of the wiper arm, I don't expect it to last long.

Anyone have a source or part number for a passenger side wiper arm for a '17 Aspire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper bent.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	274357  
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Usually just cleaning the splines on the wiper mechanism and cleaning out the grooves on the wiper arm are sufficient when properly tightened to factory specs..
Old 02-06-2020, 06:34 AM   #3

Jim, Tim has given you good advice . However if you do need wiper arms, replacement blades etc I use : Diesel Equipment Co, in N Carolina

diesel equipment.com

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:34 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I had these bookmarked for the best price replacements. Torque is 65 lbs. https://www.rvautoparts.com/WT1000V-...h_p_21821.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I had these bookmarked for the best price replacements. Torque is 65 lbs. https://www.rvautoparts.com/WT1000V-...h_p_21821.html
Chuck,
thanks for the link, but it is for Wiper Blades (which I am also going to replace.)

I need a Passenger Side Wiper Arm.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Chuck,
thanks for the link, but it is for Wiper Blades (which I am also going to replace.)

I need a Passenger Side Wiper Arm.
It was a link to contact. Worth a call to see if they have the arm. If the blades are a good price, the arm might be as well. Sorry I don't have an arm bookmarked.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #7

Wiper Arm Replacement

Recently had drivers arm go astray in the rain. Was enroute to my mechanic anyway so had them realign and tighten. Took at least 3/4 of a turn.
Decided to replace both arms and the following occurred:
1. Called entegra tech support and the tech put me on a conference call with the supplier.
2. Result was this
a. Remove the blades and arms and CLEAN THE SHAFT GROOVE of any metal from the arms.
b. Position the arms and tighten with a torque wrench to 65 foot lbs. DO NOT OPERATE
ARMS UNTIL SECOND TIGHTENING THE NEXT DAY.
C. The next morning, re-torque to 65 ft lbs. (you will be surprised how much you will get)

The metal on the shaft is harder than the wiper arm so if the nut loosens, as it will, the arm will slip and deterioration of the arm metal will occur.
When you get the new arms, you will notice that there are no grooves inside the arm receptacle area. When you position and then tighten the arm on with the torque wrench, the spline on the shaft cuts the new grooves into the softer metal of the arm.

The new arms come with new washer mechanism and hose all attached. After installation, just cut and re attach the hose to the fitting on the front of the body.

When you call Service, be sure and have them e-mail you the one page directions.

Safe travels
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
oneknight,

It has always been in my opinion the wiper systems on class A MH's has always been a very weak link. Had to rebuild adding an adjusting arm on our 1999 34' Newmar Dutch Starr. Both wiper arms would go off the glass on both ends of the swipe. Nobody had an answer. The adjustable center arm provided a way to reduce the total swipe so the blades would stay on the glass.

This is just a thought to get you out of a worse bind. It is a fi I'd try in a pinch. In and around those worn/wearing splines might be a place to use some BLUE or RED lock tight to kind of give it some holding power. If you use RED just a touch of heat from a propane torch will release it easily. If they come loose again those splined shafts will need replaced anyway. The locktight might get you to a better location if needed.

You might have some luck trying RV salvage yards. Colaws around Springfield, MO advertises as the largest RV salvage yard in the US. Reach them on line as well. As with most yards they will pull parts off and ship them.

Since MH builders don't make their own systems they should be available on line. I just don't know the names of any of them.

This is something I've done to reduce the weight of the arms since that directly contributes to their demise. All or most all wiper arms are of 2 sizes. Small vehicles use the 9-mm wiper arm and larger vehicles use the 12-mm. That adds extra weight but even worse you have to find and buy the 12-mm replacements. Narrow down the "J" hook and you can buy blades any place.

When push comes to shove the driver is the only one who really needs to see out the window when it's raining. Most Class A's use blades that are 28", 32", 35" and longer. They are heavy, expensive and the industry is going more to just changing the entire blade instead of the rubber inserts.

Using a 4-1/2" disc grinder with a flapper sanding discs narrow down the last 2" of the 12-mm "J" hook end so you can use standard (9-mm) vehicle wiper blades. Do that and you can easily find replacements in ANY auto parts store, Wal-Mart, Costco's etc. Downsize the blades to a more reasonable length like 24" or 26". That's plenty of clean glass to see when it's raining.

Don't be concerned about the wiper arm end being weakened. Ours has been fine for over 35,000 miles. They have not broken, fallen off or bent. Consider this. We have 40,000 miles on the RV. My guess is we've driven way less than 2,000 miles in the rain.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The wiper arms run about $60 a piece. You can call Entegra Parts to get the part numbers and order them. In my cause Entegra was not selling parts to customers at that time, so CS gave the number to Wiper Technologies to order them direct. BTW, I was told by Entegra and WT that there is no adjustment for how far the wiper will rotate. The said the swing rotation is set in a jig at the factory.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
royals1212,

You are correct. That's why I made an adjustable piece to change the total arm traveling distance. Wondering this? If the arm distance is set at the factory in a jig why was mine hitting the center post (split front window) and running off at the bottom of the windshield with no possible way to adjust it? This was a Newmar product but yes back in 1999.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #11

On the classics, the wiper arm has a ‘flap’ that holds the wiper blade in place. I noticed while driving in the rain, the little flap flipped up which would allow the whole arm to disengage itself either losing the blade and or arm altogether.
I wrapped electrical tape around the flap to keep it from opening. So far, so good.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #12

Wiper arm

We have a 2015 Aspire & I put new blades on the other day. Ran into some rain afterwards & tried the wipers. The left one (drivers) bangs when it reach the furthers up position. I asked the tech when I have it in the shop. He said if i moved it down it would hit the other one when resting. I haven’t done anything yet but not sure if I want to try it. Sure annoying while driving
Thanks Bruce
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #13

Windshield wiper replacement

Thought that as long as I was loading this into my files, I would send it along to you all.
Pricey, yes. But the washer and hose assembly are included and installed. Not the wiper blades.

Fair winds and down hill grades...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WIND WIPER INSTALL.pdf (711.2 KB, 81 views)
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
The metal on the shaft is harder than the wiper arm so if the nut loosens, as it will, the arm will slip and deterioration of the arm metal will occur.
When you get the new arms, you will notice that there are no grooves inside the arm receptacle area. When you position and then tighten the arm on with the torque wrench, the spline on the shaft cuts the new grooves into the softer metal of the arm.
OK and thanks.
When I reach Ft Myers, I'll remove the pass side wiper arm, clean the shaft grooves thoroughly, and reinstall and torque as specified.