Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Wiring in Generator Compartment

I am a total neat freek. I have been working on the coach non stop doing mods before our next trip. I was in the generator compartment and was surprised by what i saw. The wiring is just dangling. No order and very few items tied up. There are a few control boxes with wires going in and out of them that should be mounted and are just laying in there. This will be my next project to clean and secure that area. As I have been doing mods and removing panels it has been eye opening. Not very pretty behind the panels. Lots of construction debris and not much order. Has anyone else experienced this with their coach?
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, I have and the guy with the foam gun really got carried away in my generator compartment. Tying up wiring is also on my to do list, it is a mess in there.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Yes, I have and the guy with the foam gun really got carried away in my generator compartment. Tying up wiring is also on my to do list, it is a mess in there.
Just wanted to make sure it wasnt just my coach. Seems the stuff you can see is beautiful but in the spots where most customers dont see not so much.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The foam mess in mine was from trying to get rid of the wind noise around the door, problem is...he let the foam run everywhere. I found a temperature sender just hang below the front cowel. As for behind the compartments....my Travel Supreme was the same way, so I was expecting that. I bought a bundle of black wire ties in expectation of the new coach arrival and I will use a fair amount of them.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Yes. It is apalling how little care was given to tidying up behind the panels. Plus, numerous dangling wires with connectors on them. What the heck are they doing there? Did something come apart? Was it designed to be that way? If so, what kind of design is that? Very disappointing.

Also, no wiring diagrams, my pet peeve. How are you supposed to know what goes where, or be able to troubleshoot a problem?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Have you popped the tray off the right side of the dash yet? The mess in there will put you in orbit!
2013 Thor Challenger 37GT (Traded)
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
How does that panel (right side of dash ) come off?
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Just lift up, it is held on with Velcro
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #9

While you are cleaning up on the wires, put a drain hose on the AC drain. I had a gasket missing on my Gen control plug and the water shorted out the plug. without the hose it drains onto the pan below it and then just runs of the pan. The wires are a mess, never leave them just hanging on their own. Be careful of the wiper arms and wiper hose.
MS DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Well in a weird way reading every ones post makes me feel better. I guess this is a company evolving and the wiring will get better over time. I have done a lot of wiring over the years. My goal when doing so is to never have to go back a re do it. This means tight connections and not allowing wires to flop or rub in the wind. The wiring on the chassis looks great but the rest of it has been added to my mod list because I was just starting to get board..LOL
Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to this post, it reminded me to put my bundle of wiring ties in my new tool box that I am putting together to go up to the MH. I just finished making and carpeting the bottom of the tool box slide, so I have tomorrows projects already planned with the generator compartment added to them.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #12

I am constantly being told by my DW that my expectations are too high. I wonder of the you see this stuff in a mountain aire? If I have the chance I am going to check one out. I love this coach and the entegra family but I feel it should look the same behind the curtain as it does in front of the curtain.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I guess I find this thread very interesting. Have you ever looked in the AC ducting, between the studs (sawdust and pieces of wire), or under the carpet (same) of your new home as they were building it. How about the perfectly rectangular holes in the wall board for the light switches and the ceiling fixtures. And that's on the $150k and the $1M homes alike.

I mean...come on...go look at the Mountain Aire. Heck, go look at a Prevost. Does it materially prevent keeping you coach on the road. Do the wires hang in a way that creates a problem? Just saying'... A coach wiring diagram would be a plus...but beyond that, well:(
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
If you see a loose, hanging, unmarked wire with a connector on the end of it, how can you tell if it came loose from its intended connection, or is supposed to be disconnected? I find this practice appalling, if not for the lack of neatness, for the monkey wrench that it will throw into any future trobleshooting attempts. The former is exceedingly bad form and the latter is a real, practical detriment to long-term coach reliability.

Tags
wiring, generator