Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Wiring LED lights on PS rear slide a complete failure.

Worked all day on the PS rear slide wiring for the underneath LED lights. I will never attempted that again, it is a nightmare. After four different wiring attempts, had everything hooked up and working. Retracted the slide, something shorted and all the wiring burnt up.

I will make one more attempt tomorrow, but it's not worth the trouble. The 18 inch slide has a 5 foot wire chase that ends over the rear end making it impossible to get to. Working up and inside of the rear tires makes it more challenging than it's worth.

If you want LED lights on the rear slides order a 2015 or 16 It's not worth the trouble. Both of the front slides were easy.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #2

That sounds really frustrating. Sorry to hear it didn't go well. Better luck tomorrow!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #3

That makes for a long day.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
That makes for a long day.
That was a Terrible project. I did get the first coat of ZEP on the roof before I started that miserable project. The "new'roof" is a mess and did require a lot of cleaning. I'll put the second coat on before I start stripping the burnt wires tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

Chuck I used in wall rated speaker wire for my led wire runs they have a very thick gray sleeve around the wires may reduce the chance of chaifing/shorting. They carry ir at lowes and home depot
Old 05-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Tom,
I think it is a wire routing problem. There are two sharp metal plates
where I had to run the wire and the wire was inside 1/4 inch wire wrap. I'll know more when I go up and start removing burnt wire. Thanks for the idea.

I am hoping there is someway to make a loop in the wheel well that will allow for the slide to go in and out, but I think that might be to much unprotected slack to be taken up.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Thanks Tom,
I think it is a wire routing problem. There are two sharp metal plates
where I had to run the wire and the wire was inside 1/4 inch wire wrap. I'll know more when I go up and start removing burnt wire. Thanks for the idea.

I am hoping there is someway to make a loop in the wheel well that will allow for the slide to go in and out, but I think that might be to much unprotected slack to be taken up.
You should be fusing those wires. Not sure if you have a power supply (controller), and it probably has a fuse on the input side.
But it your wires to the LED's burned up, then that is a reason to fuse them. Using bigger wire will just mean the wire gets hotter and may not burn up....but could still be a fire hazard if there is another short.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

Wiring LED lights on PS rear slide a complete failure.

Hopefully someone that knows how to wire stuff safely will pipe in.
Fuses? Not even maybe. ABSOLUTELY!
The sparks so far are enough to scare me away!
I don't need the extra glitz (but please tell me why), but wish you well in your endeavors
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

Unfortunately the only way to ensure wire integrity is to follow the slide wire raceway. Found That out the hard way on my coach when I ran hdmi and cat5 to my rear slide. I can't reply to how hard that is on your coach but mine was also a pain.

Good luck

Bill
2007 Sightseer 35j
Old 05-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I connected to a temporary power source that was not fused to see if everything worked which was my mistake. I was going to pick up a fuse holder today....to late.

The front slides are connected to the basement lights which are fused.

I made this post that if you wanted this extra glitz, it's not worth it. Just trying to help others with my experiences....good or bad. Sure have been a lot that have asked me how to install LED's somewhere on their coaches.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #11

Chin up chuck mods are what rv is a bout people that dont want a mod or glitz more power to them. But qny motor home I get will have extras added after wll that is half the fun. Did you have luck today? When the 2016 role out and upgrades are all public I know I will want to mod our 2015( even though I wont take delivery till the end of tne month) I look forward to brain storming with you.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

No failure. Success! You successfully determined that it's more effort than it's worth.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Chin up chuck mods are what rv is a bout people that dont want a mod or glitz more power to them. But qny motor home I get will have extras added after wll that is half the fun. Did you have luck today? When the 2016 role out and upgrades are all public I know I will want to mod our 2015( even though I wont take delivery till the end of tne month) I look forward to brain storming with you.
Thanks Tom,

I was so sore yesterday from twitting and turning around the rear wheels that I took the day off. I know some people are couch potatoes and would not do an improve to their MH unless the DW forced them too. I will continue to do improvements to mine and if one doesn't work, I am not ashamed to admit it and share why it didn't. I hope others can learn and improve from my mistakes.

I will also look forward to sharing ideas with you. I know one thng for sure you and I will never sit in a dark campground with one little bulb over the door for light anymore
Old 05-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
No failure. Success! You successfully determined that it's more effort than it's worth.
That is the truth.: Now that I am 1/2 way there, there has got to be a way to run the wires to get power to the LED's. I know 3 ways that do not

Tags
light, lights, slide, wiring