Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

Wood Cabinets Cracked on Aspire

We have a 2014 Aspire and our front cap cabinets have separated where the glue connects the pieces of wood, causing the cabinets to shift a bit. I have never seen this happen on any other motorhome regardless of age or brand and certainly not to the 4 others we have owned and wondered if this was an issue that anyone else has heard of. Our rig was 3 1/4 years old when we first noticed it, the manufacturer of the cabinets which I found is not Entegra wrote that it could have been caused by faulty glue or poor cutting of the wood or moisture. I know we haven't had moisture on the front cap. The manufacturer agreed to replace the parts at no cost but Entegra wants us to pay for 1/2 the labor....up to more than $1000. I think this is a latent defect considering the manufacturers suggested causes and don't think I should have to pay, a latent defect supercedes warranty. Would like some opinions. Right now I am very disappointed in Entegra.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #2

I thought Entegra made all their cabinets in house. Give Joyce a call and plead your case. I bet they will help you out.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

One thing I'm careful about is not letting the RV sit with all the windows closed in the summer. I'm always afraid of the heat buildup and what effect it has on the wood.

For example, we have a real nice entertainment center in our house that was custom made for us by the Amish folks in Indiana. Due to not having enough ventilation and heat buildup, one of the joints in the wood has split.

I keep the bathroom fans set to come on at 78 degrees and I leave a few windows open.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #4

Another tip is too leave a few opened jug of distilled water around inside the coach ... as supposedly it helps keep moisture in the air to not allow thing to get to dry...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I had several doors on my last rv do the same thing. I just took them to a wood shop to have fixed. I think is was about $30 per door cheap and fast.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
If you are talking about the cabinet face frames (not the doors) they are assembled using pocket hole joinery. Pocket hole joinery is well regarded for producing a reliable and strong assembly and seems to be an industry standard. The pocket holes are drilled with a special jig and special screws and clamps are used to assemble the joint. Normally glue is not used in this type of assembly.

It's possible that one or more joints in your cabinets had loose, broken or over driven (stripped) screws in the pocket holes, but I think that would be rare.

I have owned two Entegra's and have several friends that own them and have never seen any loose face frame/pocket hole joints or any loose cope and stick type joints on the doors either.

Perhaps you have some other structural failure for which the cabinet joint failure is just a symptom. Or, as has been suggested below, the coach has been subjected to severe environmental or other extremes at some point.

If it is not clear what caused the failure, the offer you were made for having to pay no materials and only 1/2 the labor on an out of warranty product seems pretty generous.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The 14's were known for the clearance lights on the front cap leaking. Not through Entegra's fault, but the quality of the vendors lights, they are not sealed.. If the cabinets that you are having the problem with are the cabinets in that area, I would take Entegra's offer in a heart beat. Also check that the lights are not leaking that may have been the cause of the damage. This is the first I have ever heard of a cabinet problem in an Entegra outside of cabinet drawer slides.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/clea...ts-282123.html
Here is a post regarding "leaking lights" and what may have caused the damage.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have a few problems with cracks too...the wooden accent piece around the ceiling fan has a split join as well as the cabinet face above the drivers seat around the breaker panels. The worst though is the door on the mid bath - both sides not only have seams that are pulling apart but the wood is splitting along the grain in several places! Heading to Middlebury in August....we'll see what they say!
2016 Entegra Aspire 44B, 2018 Ford F450 Dually /w Lance 1191 Camper, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, 2018 Lincoln Navigator,FFR Mk #3 Roadster
Snkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

I thought so too but apparently Chase Manufacturing did the front cap cabinets at least. I don't know who they are, I called them and left a message but never got a call back.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

We live in our RV from April until October so it isn't closed up at all in the summers. Until 2 winters ago we lived fulltime in it. That was one of the things Joyce accused us of.....having the RV in Arizona in the winter but if an Entegra can't handle 65 degree weather in Arizona in the winter, there is a definite problem. We have never lived in Arizona in the summer.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #11

No, I am talking about the "solid" sides of the cabinets...where the TV sits between them in the front. They are pieces of wood glued together and the glue has separated, no screws. The doors are fine, the frame is fine. It's just three flat boards but to replace them is a total job. NIRVC said all the cabinets in the front and side would have to come out of the coach. I'm not sure the cure isn't worse than the problem. I am just going by what Chase manufacturing wrote to Entegra that it was either moisture....which there has been none, or glue failure or faulty cutting of the wood...neither of which would have been something we would have been responsible for. It's a big investment and we have done quite a few repairs since the warranty expired that had already been repaired once or more under warranty but didn't ask for Entegra's help. Before the sale they were very understanding and fair and we were very patient and happy to know that they stood behind us when we went through 3 microwaves but a latent defect I did expect the same result.....the 1/2 price labor wasn't an initial offer and did come with comments that offended me.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Can you attach a photo of the problem? There are some here with excellent cabinet experience. One was a teacher of the subject.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote