Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Wrangler and bike rack

Any Entegra owners tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler with the backup camera that is in the spare tire and have a bike rack ... ? Now that it is just me, I'm seriously considering trading in our 2019 Ram quad cab and selling our cricket and getting a 2021 2 door Wrangler and an e-bike. Thoughts?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 07:49 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lynn, When we first started RVing 11 years ago our first tow vehicle was a 2 door wrangler. It lasted about a year and we traded to a four door Jeep Liberty (no longer made). The Wrangler was a rough ride and noisy, esp the shorter wheel base and really not practical for more than two people. Getting in and out of the back seats is not that easy. Now you may ever take more than one other passenger so the four seats could be moot. While many people love and tow the 2 door wrangler it wasn’t for us. There are many other good 4 door small tow vehicles that would work well also. The ebike is a great idea. JME
Old 11-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn, no help on toad, but the ebike is a blast. I have one of the folding type that will go in the back of an SUV if you are comfortable lifting 60 lbs. Many put the bikes in storage tubs and just slide them in after lifting one end, which cuts the weight in half for lifting. https://lectricebikes.com/
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #4

The size and ride aside, if you are concerned about the back-up camera being obstructed, it will be. We had a spare tire mounted rack on our 4 door Wrangler, but we do not have a rear camera. With the bikes on the rack, the view would be obstructed. Without the bikes but with the rack still on, the view may be obstructed, depending on the location of the camera.

Since you are thinking of an Ebike, you will need a hitch mounted rack to handle the weight, and I have some first-hand experience since we just acquired two such bikes. If your new Jeep has a separate upper window and lower tailgate, like my 2007, there may be an issue with access to the back due to the spare tire. I found that my Hollywood Rack, designed for two ebikes, would not allow the tailgate to swing open, even with no bikes on board. Due to the height of the folding mechanism of the rack, the spare tire would hit the mechanism and the tailgate would not open far enough to lift the upper window or put anything in the rear area through the small tailgate opening. Further, when folding the rack up into storage position, the spare prevented the rack from locking into the vertical store position. My solution was to buy a 2" drop receiver extension and a hitch stablizer clamp. That moved the rack further rearward and 2" lower. Now, I have access to the rear and the rack folds easily into store position.

I suspect you may have similar issues with other brands of racks that are designed to carry the load of an ebike. Just be aware.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Any Entegra owners tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler with the backup camera that is in the spare tire and have a bike rack ... ? Now that it is just me, I'm seriously considering trading in our 2019 Ram quad cab and selling our cricket and getting a 2021 2 door Wrangler and an e-bike. Thoughts?
We bought a 4-door Wrangler and I really wanted a 2-door. Glad we got the four door. More room to carry stuff in the Jeep, much easier to carry the occasional extra passenger, and a longer wheelbase for (slightly) better ride. The ride in the 4-door is pretty awful--about 65 mph is about as fast as I like to drive in it. We do sometimes take the Jeep off-road, but we're not so off-road that the longer wheelbase is a problem.

We originally had a hitch-mounted bike rack on the back of the Jeep, but it didn't swing out of the way far enough to clear the Jeep's back door. So got a dual-hitch on the back of the coach, and put the bike rack there. If we want to take the bikes to a trailhead, we just move the bike rack; takes 5 min.

It makes dealing with the BlueOx more of a PITA, having to duck under the bikes to hook things up. It also makes the license plate on the Anthem harder to read (wondering when I'll get stopped...).

Because of the dual-hitch receiver, the bike rack on the back of the Anthem is maybe an extra foot off the ground compared to the Jeep, so that's a factor if you're trying to lift a heavy bike up on the rack.

I'd definitely encourage you to think hard about the 2-door vs 4-door...(I think the 2-door would be a blast, just not comfortable/practical)
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you all. I know a 2 door jeep is not very comfortable, but I'm keeping my 2020 BMW X5 for normal driving when I'm at Bella Terra. I just want something that is much, much shorter to tow than my Quad Cab Ram. And I don't even like trying to find a parking space for the ram. Getting a 4 door jeep kinda defeats the purpose. I will probably be on the road in the motorhome 5-6 months out of the year and don't expect I'll drive the jeep on long hauls, if I want to go somewhere quite a distance, I'd just move the motorhome to a closer rv park. Or ... am I just being stupid????? Again, I do appreciate everone's thoughts.

And Chuck, I like the idea of a folding e-bike, wonder if it would fit in the back of a two door jeep?
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn, here is the tote the bikes will fit in. https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-4...Lid/1000225777

The dimensions are 38x21, see if that will fit in the back of the jeep. I like your idea of towing small. Hopefully the folding ebike will fit and solve the bike rack problem.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Lynn, here is the tote the bikes will fit in. https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-4...Lid/1000225777

The dimensions are 38x21, see if that will fit in the back of the jeep. I like your idea of towing small. Hopefully the folding ebike will fit and solve the bike rack problem.
I'm not sure if it would fit in the back of a 2 door jeep ... but that bin would fit in one of my Anthem basement compartments. Would take up some room, but it would be doable. Thanks!

The other thought I had of why I want to get a 2 door jeep to tow is that now that I don't have Dan to help me unhook, probably with a small tow, I can get away without unhooking if I get a pull through. With the Ram, I could never do it, the turning radius was just too much.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lynn,
Having an electric bike is a blast. Something to think about is how you are going to carry it. I have 2 lectric bikes and they fold up to fit in the back of my 4 Dr. Jeep Wrangler. I would not consider hanging them on a bike rack behind my Jeep. Too much road grit and grime to contend with on the bike components. I don't know of any covers that will sufficiently protect the bikes. I believe 1 lectric fold up bike would fit fine in the back of a 2Dr Wrangler with the back seat folded down. Much easier to fold up and put in a vehicle that to mount of a bike carrier. More secure from theft too.
Hope these comments help.
2BU Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn, Looked on the FB user group and a few said the Lectric ebike would fit in a Wrangler

Old 11-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I tow a 4 door jeep wrangler and put 2 of the folding e-bikes in the back as well. Fairly sure the 2 door version would hold one bike, but not 100% positive. The e-bike, in the tote from Chucks photo is how I carry mine - they are about 65 to 70 lbs to lift and put in the jeep. It would be easier in one of the compartments to get in and out if you have the room.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:53 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thank y'all! I just bought the e-bike that Chuck posted about, the step through version on a black friday sale. I'm hoping I can get it in and out of the back of the jeep with a bin ... if not, I'll have to make room in one of the Anthem's basement compartments. So .... now, time to focus on trading my Ram for a jeep and switching over the AF1 ... getting a baseplate, etc. I've made a reservation for the month of Feb to be at Myakka MC resort. I'm figuring I will have the estate sale and house on the market by then and will be free to head a bit further south. If anyone wants to rent my lot at Bella Terra for the month of Feb, let me know! Thanks
Old 11-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #13

May I suggest that you take the e-bike to the Jeep dealer and actually test drive the 2 and 4 door Wranglers and see how much of a hassle ( or not ) it is to load & unload the bike. We originally thought we wanted a 2 door but after looking & driving got the 4 door and are very happy with it. ( 2 door is really short on interior space ) Parking the 4 door anywhere is really not an issue
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 4dr Wrangler and an ebike. I also have tried two different carriers and ended up selling the Rad Rover as it was far more than what I needed. Then I bought a Rad Mini ST 2. It folds so no rack needed, just fold and stow in the Jeep.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack