Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #1

WTH is up with Rand McNally GPS ??

Just got back to Texas from the Tampa Super Show, no thanks to our GPS. We left Phoenix with our new coach on Jan.1st. and headed to Tampa. I'm used to the RM GPS having brain farts on our 2014 Aspire but the system on this 2018 Aspire is basically unusable. It misroutes, takes us through narrow roads in housing areas when there are major roads that could be used, freezes up and is totally unreliable. I had to revert back to an old paper atlas which is ridiculous. I've looked back 3 weeks and don't see much in the way of complaints. It doesn't help that there was no documentation in the new owners briefcase. I've been through the tutorial several times, and even with the volume on the Nav system maxed out, we cannot hear any instructions. Are we the only ones having issues? Deb
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I wanted to shoot my GPS, but after updating my software last Sept, I haven't had a problem, and we're full timers.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

I read all about the Rand GPS problems, thats why I bought a Garmin. Of course yours came with your ride, turn the unit off and get a Garmin. Use your smart phone GPS in the interim if you have one. I am guessing not since you used your paper maps. I still carry a map book with me and double check for the heck of it. Garmin's have failed on me before as well but no where near as bad as Rand has.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

My 18 anthem has had no issues. Pick3d up on dec 15. Used all the way back to Texas via Tennessee and Missouri. Never missed a beat. Time to update software.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I keep reading posts like this with people bashing the Rand McNally GPS and it perplexes me because I find mine very usable, reliable and useful. I really like it and have neither complaints nor a desire for anything else.

Make sure your preferences are set to “fastest route” and not “shortest route”. “Shortest route” can take you in very inappropriate places.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
At my request, my wife gifted me a Rand GPS for Christmas a few years ago.

Worst Christmas present ever ! I've come close to tossing it out the window a few times!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure the software is up to date. Next make sure you have set up you rigs size in the setup. I have had mine for 2.5 years and the only problem I have has once in 20 or so power ups it does not boot properly. All it takes is a power down and back up.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Postma View Post
Make sure the software is up to date. Next make sure you have set up you rigs size in the setup. I have had mine for 2.5 years and the only problem I have has once in 20 or so power ups it does not boot properly. All it takes is a power down and back up.

I kept the RM GPS in my Anthem up to date and didn’t have a complaint about it. When I picked up my Cornerstone the dealer said they updated it. Second visit to the dealer in Texas they said they updated it again. My preferences are appropriate and it still wants to take me down cowpaths and doesn’t have current major roads. The SD card is very difficult to get to. I think my dealer’s techs may have been feeding me a line.
2013 Thor Challenger 37GT (Traded)
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I use the garmin for rv's. Never steered me wrong and yes the gps that comes with the RV is junk. Myself I even hate the radio but have learned to live with it. What i don't understand is why would you put a radio in an rv with no scan button. During a 10 hr. drive day I probably change the radio station 50 times or so. I guess I need to get satellite radio.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
My RM also needed the SD card updated when it was new. After that it has preformed problem free. Before the update, it had the same symptoms as the OP.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #11

I have used Garmins for years but am slowly getting used to the RM. Definitely update the software/maps. Also double check your preferences. Double check the mode (car vs RV vs Truck), toll roads, weight & height settings.

While frequent updates seem to help, I have found that RM is very slow on updates regarding new roads, speed limits and rural areas in general. I had to turn off the speed reminder as I found it to be telling me I was speeding on highways that the speed limits had changed on in the past 2 years. I would understand the problem it I had not updated the data in the RM just prior to the trip and the speed limit change was recent but these were not recent changes.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #12

It isn't just an update. RM had a bunch of corrupted cards in their units from the factory. Once they figured it out, Riverpark will take your credit card number to make sure they get the corrupted card back and send you a new one. I went around with them for several weeks until they figured it out, zero problems since.

River Park. 574-522-7781
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #13

gps

During my PDI last year I had the GPS changed out, that was the second time for replacement. I had the same issues as you.....PLUS.... an extremely hot display screen. The unit would lock up and then get stuck in the reboot mode....and never come back on. It seemed like this only happened when I had the CD player and the GPS on at the same time. I took some video footage of the crazy thing acting that way so that I could show Mike Lucas that I wasn't making this stuff up. The last unit that they put in has not failed me "YET".
This seemed to be the topic of discussion while we were in the lobby of the Mothership. One of the guys there was on unit number three and he finally told Entegra that he wanted to get his own unit from an outside source and they cut him a $1500 check.
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Similar issues - NIRC has the coach right now and have updated and replaced the card. Reports are that all is well. The skeptic in me is holding its breath....

Tags
gps